Apr 11 AT 3:50 PM Edgar Cervantes 12 Comments

A.I.Type keyboard: Text prediction in the cloud

Android’s text prediction feature helps a lot while typing on your on-screen keyboard, but have you ever felt like you need it to do more? A.I.Type keyboard basically predicts not only the word you are typing, but also the word you are about to type, before even typing a single letter. The developer actually claims that this nifty software will save you about 75% of your keystrokes, and whether that number is accurate or not, it definitely does save you a good amount of effort.

A.I.Type’s predictions are actually done “in the cloud,” which means that the application will not be too heavy on your storage space, but if you happen to find yourself without an internet connection, such feature will simply not work.

If you have used Swiftkey before, A.I.Type is definitely another choice to consider. Swiftkey is definitely a very good option; if you have used it, you would know that it pretty much reads your mind. A.I.Type keyboard is the same concept, but it uses the Gingerbread keyboard, as opposed to Swiftkey, which uses its own “iPhone-like” keyboard.

The produt is actually in beta, but it is good to try it out, and I did not run into any issues while trying it out, so it seems pretty stable. For a better view of what A.I.Type is able to do, the developer has put together a video, which is posted below if you are interested. Please do let us know what you think of this new keyboard. Do you guys like it? If not, which one do you prefer?

Via: Android Central

Source: A.I.Type

Hello, I am Edgar Cervantes. I am an avid Android fan, and keeping myself updated on the topic is part of my daily life. I will always work hard to give the best of me to our community of Android enthusiasts, and I am very honored to be part of this ship. Hopefully we can all enjoy sharing our knowledge and opinions!

• http://Website heeros

Really? The keyboard requires an Internet connection? This might be a good keyboard, but what’s it going to do to battery life if it uses data every time you type something?
    I understand that smartphones are meant to use the internet, but isn’t this taking it a little too far?

• Edgar Cervantes

• geniusdog254

Not to mention sending your every keystroke to a remote server.

That sounds like a great idea! /sarcasm

• http://Website BlueJay

Doesn’t Swiftkey already do this without the “cloud” feature?

• http://Website @neidlinger

it does, and faster might i add. i can type faster correctly w/o using this, then waiting on the cloud to guess my next work….

great idea poorly executed

• http://Website Mike

I tried A.I. today & while I dig the interface, the word prediction & ‘search’ takes forever. Plus, the fact that a program is attached to the cloud & may or my not save my passwords is a bit scary. I’ll pass on this one.

Honestly, the stock keyboard on my Inspire HD works really well.

• http://Website Soni

Problem is, that they don’t need a database!
    They need to teach the program to learn your way of typing via old and new text messages. And this is exactly what swiftkey is doing.
    I’ll be curious to see how this keyboard manages with less known languages.

• A.I.type Team

Hi All,
    We’ve released yesterday version 0.5.25 of our GingerBread based Keyboard.
    This is far more stable version.
    However some devices has the keyboard still appears squashed (tiny keypad). If any of you guys has Motorola Xoom, HTC Desire HD, Motorola Atrix 4g, Droid 2 or any other device that it appears squashed and still experience it ,please write to us at support@aitype.com
    Tx all for your patience and understanding, and we promise you to get to you a better and updated version soon.
    Stick with us, and if you like our keyboard , you are welcome to leave appropriate comment on the market.
    As to storing words , actually the application does NOT store anything. Neither on the phone , nor on the cloud (needless to say passwords and CC #’s).
    The communication is encrypted and slim , and so is the battery consumption, as a result.

(i.e we have a similar version running on a PC. Try it now for FREE)

Tx for using our keyboard,

A.I.type Team

• http://www.unforgivendevelopment.com Gerad Munsch

Please tell me you typed this comment using your keyboard.

I really, really hope so.

• Holly

What does A. I. mean? Please email me the answer. I found this blog by accident.
      Thx!

• http://www.unforgivendevelopment.com Gerad Munsch

This looks rather “cheesy” — come on, their video used… COMIC… SANS… MS!!

On a more serious note, the idea is cool and all. I will agree with that. However, for one, try this out on an EDGE connection. What’s the latency? Like, 300+ ms? Even on HSPA+, you’re still looking at 90+ ms. I can see it working somewhat well on a fast land-based broadband connection, over WiFi — 20-40 ms pings. But, even so, I think a local database and algorithms (a la SwiftKey) would be much more effective.

I will say, I do enjoy the stock Gingerbread keyboard look. I have always loved the stock Android keyboards (even pre-Gingerbread), and that’s always kept me from using a 3rd party keyboard for too long. I’ve got SwiftKey, Swype, HTC IME, none of them just have that “incredibly snappy” feel of the stock keyboard.

Thanks, but no thanks.

• Neil

I have recently downloaded A.I. type keyboard and must say it seems as if it is slightly more predictive than SwiftKey. It may be because SwiftKey will only predict 3 words at a time but either way, A.I. seems to do a better job. Also, I have had absolutely no issues with speed – may be because I have downloaded the latest version. The features are amazing on this keyboard – many of them. However, Swiftkey is coming out with a swiping version of the predictive keyboard – ups the ante! Hope A.I. Keyboard follows suite.

1. heerosGuest 4 years ago

• Yes, the keyboard does require an internet connection. I actually turned off wifi and network data on my phone to try it out, and it does not work. I believe it is a good idea to try it out though, and then we can see if it makes a significant difference to the battery life.

• Not to mention sending your every keystroke to a remote server.

That sounds like a great idea! /sarcasm

2. BlueJayGuest 4 years ago

Doesn’t Swiftkey already do this without the “cloud” feature?

• @neidlingerGuest 4 years ago

great idea poorly executed

3. MikeGuest 4 years ago

Honestly, the stock keyboard on my Inspire HD works really well.

4. SoniGuest 4 years ago

Problem is, that they don’t need a database!
    I’ll be curious to see how this keyboard manages with less known languages.

5. Hi All,
    We’ve released yesterday version 0.5.25 of our GingerBread based Keyboard.
    This is far more stable version.

(i.e we have a similar version running on a PC. Try it now for FREE)

Tx for using our keyboard,

A.I.type Team

• Gerad MunschGuest 4 years ago

Please tell me you typed this comment using your keyboard.

I really, really hope so.

• HollyGuest 2 years ago

Thx!

6. Gerad MunschGuest 4 years ago

This looks rather “cheesy” — come on, their video used… COMIC… SANS… MS!!

Thanks, but no thanks.