Apr 08 AT 11:15 AM Edgar Cervantes 26 Comments

WiFi-only Acer Iconia Tab A500 hitting Best Buy with a $450 price tag

Though the mainstream products, such as the Motorola Xoom, are definitely fun and exciting, their price tags are a bit on the high side if you are an early adopter. As a plethora of tablets come into the market,  more options that would keep your wallet healthy are starting to rise over the horizon, as well as WiFi-only versions, for those that prefer to go without a carrier. Budget efficient tablets, such as the recently announced Galaxy Tab WiFi-only (7-inch version), the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer, and of course, the Nook Color, are life savers for all the money conscious Android fans out there.

Today, Acer’s Honeycomb tablet, the Acer Iconia Tab A500 (WiFi-Only), has been given an official price and release date, and will hit Best Buy stores (yes, exclusively) on April 24, at a price of $449.99. The device is currently available for pre-orders at bestbuy.com, but it can also be pre-ordered in stores on April 14.

Acer Iconia Tab A500 Specification:

• Android 3.0 Honeycomb
  • 10.1-inch 1280×800 TFT WXGA display
  • NVIDIA Tegra 250 Cortex A9 1GHz processor (dual-core)
  • 1 GB RAM
  • 16 GB / microSD supporting up to 32 GB cards
  • 5 MP rear-facing camera / 2 MP front-facing camera
  • Two 3260 mAh Li-polymer batteries
  • WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n, bluetooth, and GPS

Acer will also sell a few accessories for the Iconia A500, which include a full size Bluetooth keyboard for $69.99, a dock for $79.99, and a case for $39.99.

For $450, the Acer Iconia A500 is actually a very impressive device, and mostly matches the specs of the Motorola Xoom WiFI, which sells for$600. Along with the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer, the Acer Iconia Tab A500 is a great option for those that would like to have an Android 3.0 Honeycomb tablet, while keeping an eye on the savings.

4-7-11-iconiataba500-1 4-7-11-iconiataba500-7 4-7-11-iconiataba500-2 4-7-11-iconiataba500-4 4-7-11-iconiataba500-5 4-7-11-iconiataba500-6 4-7-11-iconiataba500-8 4-7-11-iconiataba500-9 4-7-11-iconiataba500-10 4-7-11-iconiataba500-3

Via: Engadget

Source: Acer

Hello, I am Edgar Cervantes. I am an avid Android fan, and keeping myself updated on the topic is part of my daily life. I will always work hard to give the best of me to our community of Android enthusiasts, and I am very honored to be part of this ship. Hopefully we can all enjoy sharing our knowledge and opinions!

• http://Website TWiT Commander

This might actually be my Android tablet. I hope Acer is good about firmware updates. What is their track record?

• Nick Gray

• http://nickedynick.blogspot.com Nickedynick

If this things comes to the UK I’ll be very tempted to part with my money.

• http://Website hcomb

This looks extremely attractive. Not sure if its completely stock, or if there are widgets from Acer on there and stuff. I think im gonna wait for the nexus tablet, i set aside some cash for a tablet and i cant seem to justify spending it on something not completely stock from Google.

• BiGMERF

• http://androidjet.com Android Jet

The price is good, but the design of the tablet is not attractive to me…

• http://Website Jane Fonda

I agree its butt ugly.

• http://Website ralexandroid

I own a G-Tablet which also has a TFT display. I can say, the only problem I have with the GTab is the display. Knowing that the ACER tablet will has a TFT display, as well, is pushing me closer to upgrading to the ASUS Transformer and further away from incluidng the ACER in consideration.

• http://Website Steve

When comparing this up against the transformer, you just can’t go wrong with what the transformer has to offer.

• http://Website Thorpeland

I like the spects, i like the price I’ll give this a serious look when it comes out. If anything, maybe the XOOM prices will drop to match once its released.

• McLovin

Is the battery user replaceable?

• goldenboyrb

i dont see any openings..

• http://Website Eric

Missing some key features against the slightly cheaper transform. Pass.

• http://Website Timbx

Now we’re talking this is what the Xoom should have been priced at…

• http://Website Austin

I agree…xoom should have had this price and it’s the same specs as the Xoom…and its flash ready..android 3.0..hi res..i love it. I think it will give Ipad a run for it’s money…if any ever come available soon!

• http://lettersfromdave.wordpress.com daveloft

According to phone arena this tablets display can only produce 262 144 colours, making this tablet a no buy for me. The display is the most important piece of a tablet and not something you skimp on, I will be getting something than can do 16 million colours.

• http://trueacu.com acupunc

The tablet looks good. . . wish it had a dock like the Transformer or the Transformer had the USB ports on the tablet like this one does.

I still want to see how these companies handle Android updates and upgrades for these WiFi devices–will they be better than phone OEMs? And for how long will they give updates and/or upgrades? Will they support the OS for as long as MS supports a major release of Windows (nearly 10 years)?

If they follow what phone OEMs are doing then they will lock the bootloader so you won’t even be able to flash a ROM. . .

Really would like to see some “standards” put forward by the OHA/Google/OEMs as to how they will handle Android updates/upgrades and for how long they will support devices.

• http://www.onlineforexking.com Tony Cotton

I am very tempted but I think I will wait for the Sony tablet to come out so I can compare.

• http://ipad2blog.com/ Bobby Mikels

The price of Acer Iconia could be their biggest strength. Apple iPad 2 has been dominating the tablet competition since last year. A good marketing for this device could land them in second position after iPad 2. Since no one has ever tried it, it’s very hard to say if they are really that good just like what they are claiming on papers.

• http://Website Rick M

For the love of god does anyone have a link or know where i can buy the darn Dock for this Tablet A500

• http://Website Mike J

Just got on of these last night at BestBuy. So far I’m very impressed. The thickness and weight was my only concern, and neither is an issue. It feels real nice in your hands, and feels more natural in profile orientation than the Xoom. The screen is fantastic (nicer than my iPad), and it is really fast (a lot faster than my iPad). The (working) microSD card slot and the USB port are nice bonuses. The games look and play so nice on this machine, that I may forgo my NGP purchase that I planned for this fall.

• http://Website Robert M

I purchased the Acer Iconia tablet yesterday after returning an iPad. Two totally different systems. So far, the Acer is so much better! I like the versatility of the Acer a lot more. Can’t imagine any other tablet beating this. The feel is good…the look is good…color is good… Give it a try!

• http://goo.gl/CbQho Delta Systèmes

If there are FR geek readers you should know that you can find this Acer Iconia Tab A500 tablet at 386.79 € (Tax excluded)

This is the best price in France (for a new product following Google Shopping)

Save the link : http://goo.gl/CbQho

• http://Website Deep

I bought the transformer last night – It’s going back. I’m getting the Acer. The transformer, while nice – is built like CRAP – the plastic is already creaking and the light bleed issues on the screen bother me to no end.

The transformer is $50 cheaper, but it’s not worth it. IPS screen – SO WHAT?? The Acer is very vibrant and clear. What do I care about a 180 degree viewing angle?? The added ports, solid case and no light bleed is WELL worth the $50 for me.

• Samar

• goldenboyrb

1. TWiT CommanderGuest 4 years ago

• Acer’s been so-so about updating their Android phone so far. Since it looks like they are delivering a stock Honeycomb build on hardware that’s nealy identical to what Motorola and Samsung are pushing out lets hope all the update for all these tablets come around the same time.

2. If this things comes to the UK I’ll be very tempted to part with my money.

3. hcombGuest 4 years ago

• I have a xoom and will be ebaying her as soon as a nexus tablet is released. I have had the nexus one and s and would love the tab to match. Although my zoom is stock android and I am sure google is using it to perfct its next upgrade. So the xoom should be the first to receive any updates.hoping SD is avtivated at Google I/o

4. Android JetGuest 4 years ago

The price is good, but the design of the tablet is not attractive to me…

5. ralexandroidGuest 4 years ago

• SteveGuest 4 years ago

6. ThorpelandGuest 4 years ago

7. Is the battery user replaceable?

8. EricGuest 4 years ago

Missing some key features against the slightly cheaper transform. Pass.

9. TimbxGuest 4 years ago

Now we’re talking this is what the Xoom should have been priced at…

10. AustinGuest 4 years ago

11. daveloftGuest 4 years ago

12. acupuncGuest 4 years ago

13. Tony CottonGuest 4 years ago

14. Bobby MikelsGuest 4 years ago

15. Rick MGuest 4 years ago

16. Mike JGuest 4 years ago

17. Robert MGuest 4 years ago

18. Delta SystèmesGuest 4 years ago

This is the best price in France (for a new product following Google Shopping)

Save the link : http://goo.gl/CbQho

19. DeepGuest 4 years ago

20. look slike they’re goona follow ASUS and come out with the slider..C’mon Acer..do it and price it lower..

21. very nicely built. not too light, not too thin. the way i like my devices. feels right when you hold it.