May 19 AT 11:26 AM Anthony Domanico 21 Comments

Clap Phone Finder turns your phone into The Clapper [with Awesome Video]

Every once in a while we receive a tip that is way too awesome to pass up.  Today’s tip comes from Illusion Ground, who has released an application which turns your Android phone into your very own “The Clapper”. The Clap Phone Finder application can detect the noise made while clapping and alerts your phone to start making noise so you can easily locate it.

The Android and Me staff has been hotly discussing this application this morning, though not for the merits of the application itself. Sean Riley noted a link in the market to a YouTube video showing the Clap Phone Finder application in action. We all find the video to be hilarious, and wanted to share it with you, our readers:

If after watching this awesome video, you absolutely have to have the Clap Phone Finder application, you can head on over to the market and give it a whirl. It seems to work pretty well from the video.

The Clap Phone Finder app is available for Android 2.1+ devices for $0.99. If you do purchase the application, stop by the comments and let us know how you like it.

Anthony loves all things technology, from hardware to apps and games. You can connect with him via Google+ or Twitter by clicking one of the fancy doo-dads above.

• http://Website Jeffrey

Why didn’t i think of this?

• smithey253

I found that you have to clap at a certain speed for it to pick it up correctly, slower clapping worked well when I tried using it.

• manjunk

It works as intended…but that is not to say much.

The only issue with it is that it will not turn on ringer volume if it is off or turned down.

if I leave my phone in vibrate or silent all that happens when I clap is that the screen lights up. If the phone is on vibrate all that is happens is the screen lights up. The sound only works according to Ringer volume, and it recognizes the differing levels of sound which your ringer volume is set to. so if I click my volume above silent and vibrate in to the first volume setting and try to clap i can barely hear the ring.

I am having trouble using the picker activity from within the app to use a default ringtone as the clapping sound. the option is there and i’m clicking everything I should – just no change is being accepted. right now it is just using the ringtone I have set for the phone itself, and it seems I cannot change that to something individual for the clap response.

The good thing ! it has the ability to suspend itself for predefined periods of time. 15 min, 30 min, 1 hour, 2 hour.

Although the ugly fact remains – the ability for the application to turn on my phone’s ringer off silent/vibrate/anyvolumesetting and turn it on to maximum, with a unique sound of my choice, is a must have feature for this type of application. and this phone lacks that feature.

I think it took me about 15 minutes to type up this article so i cannot even get a refund. I am dissapoint

• manjunk

I would recommend staying away from this app immediately. keep on eye on it for a week or two. It seemingly just hit the market today. with a few good fixes and updates it can definitely be a MUST PURCHASE application. not right now, but soon I feel, provided the developer keeps on with it.

• Angie Strickland

• http://www.anthonydomanico.com Anthony Domanico

I’ve noticed that like every time I need to find my phone it’s on vibrate.

• http://seattleandrew.com Seattleandrew

I think this is a really good idea but could have horrible and dire consequences if used improperly. What the heck do I mean by that!? Well I go to a lot of shows (theatre, musicals, etc.) and as a part of our cultural traditions we clap at the end of performances (sometimes even bad ones). I would have if the noise of me, or a neighbor, or even the entire audience would set off my phone. >.< I'm just saying that this is a great idea for the home, but could you imagine the embarrassment after your phone starts ringing like crazy in your coat pocket even though you put it to silent.

Just saying…

• Angie Strickland

I guess the solution that could help both of your current issues, though, would be to have a setting that disabled the app for a set amount of time for your event, and then after that go back to responding to clapping no matter the mode was so that you could find your phone in any circumstances.

• http://Website sewred

It has a setting to disable it for certain lots of time; however, I did purchase it, and tried it with the phone right next to me, and got no response. I refunded. I agree with manjunk, I’ll wait a bit; it does sound like a great concept.

• http://Website mikeyDroid

Just bought it –

It DOES recognize the clapping.. but all it does is turn the screen on (to the lock screen)… no alerts, no sounds.. pretty useless haha.. it needs to be like that app, I think it’s called Find My Droid.. or something… It jacks up all your sound settings and sets an alarm off. Maybe it’s just buggy at the moment.

Oh and it’s being used on an OG Droid…

Best of luck.

• http://Website Franklin

Having an app monitoring the microphone 24/7 must have serious implications on battery life.

• smithey253

Been using it for a few hours now and found a major problem with the app.

Whenever the app is turned on so that it is monitoring for clapping, those that I ring or have called me can not hear me at all, with me having to suspend the app before the microphone starts working again during calls.

Hopefully they can fix this as this is an total killer for this app.

• http://www.illusionground.com Illusion Ground

I’m the developer of the application. I want fix all the problem you have and implement new features as requested.

– Some phones don’t wakeup quick to play the sound, more code is added to prevent that, and I will try in that phones.
    – The new version in the store, fix the problem when the phone is in vibrate change, now the sound play, and also you can select the volume
    – The program has a setting so you can schedule activaction in 15mins, 30mins, 1hour, 2 hours, in case you go to a theater or a cinema

Thanks for all your comments.

• Angie Strickland

• http://Website Fernanda

Work grate in my phone!!!!! It’s dreamy!!!!

• http://www.illusionground.com Illusion Ground

Version 1.3 uploaded to the store

- fixed: problem with default ringtone
    - fixed: in some phones wake up don’t work always
    - added: alert mode customizable (Use phone settings, Sound only, Sound and vibrate, Vibrate only)

Please request more features!!

Thanks

• Angie Strickland

Awesome, thank you!

• http://Website Techrocket9

I wish I could get this for my watch. I never misplace my phone but I do misplace my watch all the time.

• http://Website Dave In L.A

Does NOT work on my Vibrant (2.2) … my hards hurt from trying to get it to work!!

• markus

Here is another application to find phone by saying a custom word https://market.android.com/details?id=com.smartcodz.lum.service
    It works well for me for instance, sometimes it doesn’t detect what I’ve said so I have to repeat and then it starts ringing.

• Pradeep

Sir i want purchase source code of this application

what is cost of this application please can you tell me !!!
    Thanks !!

1. JeffreyGuest 4 years ago

Why didn’t i think of this?

2. Seems to be working well for me. Someone should have come up with this ages ago!

3. I purchased this app almost immediately upon reading this article and checking it out on market.

It works as intended…but that is not to say much.

• wow so many typos in that paragraph, how do i edit? aside from any of that though.

• Well, it’s still really cool of you to share your experience with it! That is good to know. I suppose it will help people find their phone in ideal circumstances, but yes, it is usually when they are less than ideal when you really could use a phone finder. Thanks again.

4. SeattleandrewGuest 4 years ago

Just saying…

• Hah! That actually is an interesting point. I guess as it stands now, according to manjunk (hah what a name), that wouldn’t be a problem for you now, since the app acts according to the settings your phone is already on. So if you did have it on silent, it would only light up. He saw this as an issue since when you lose your phone, you want it to respond audibly to be able to find it no matter what your settings were. Dead battery seems to be the worst – don’t know how they’d circumvent that.

• sewredGuest 4 years ago

5. mikeyDroidGuest 4 years ago

Just bought it –

Oh and it’s being used on an OG Droid…

Best of luck.

6. FranklinGuest 4 years ago

7. Been using it for a few hours now and found a major problem with the app.

Hopefully they can fix this as this is an total killer for this app.

8. Illusion GroundGuest 4 years ago

Thanks for all your comments.

• Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to the comments! It really is a cool idea, so I’m excited to see how the app grows.

9. FernandaGuest 4 years ago

Work grate in my phone!!!!! It’s dreamy!!!!

10. Illusion GroundGuest 4 years ago

Version 1.3 uploaded to the store

- fixed: problem with default ringtone
    - fixed: in some phones wake up don’t work always

Please request more features!!

Thanks

11. Techrocket9Guest 4 years ago

12. Dave In L.AGuest 4 years ago

13. markusGuest 4 years ago

14. PradeepGuest 6 months ago

Sir i want purchase source code of this application

what is cost of this application please can you tell me !!!
    Thanks !!