May 25 AT 10:21 AM Edgar Cervantes 21 Comments

Blockbuster app hops on the modder-blocking bandwagon

Root users were not happy last Sunday, after hearing that Android Market Movie Rentals would not be accessible through their unlocked devices. It seems like the reasoning for this shutdown lies along the lines of it creating a copyright infringement. This suggests that the movie industry is probably putting some pressure on developers/movie distributors, believing that having a rooted device would increase the chances of us “big-time thieves” stealing their $4.00 movies.

Well, fasten your seat-belts, because it seems like this is going to become a trend. The Droid Charge was treated with a Blockbuster app a few days ago, which seemed good and dandy, but the excitement didn’t last long for root users. The app actually comes with Widevine’s DRM software (owned by Google), and it detects whether your device has been rooted or not. If you are a firm believer of freedom (openness) and have a rooted device, said app will go ahead and let you know that you are out of the picture for accessing movies.

The movie industry needs to understand that rooting a device does not make us criminals, and it will not increase the chances of us stealing its films. Likening modders to thieves and blocking us from accessing your services is insulting, and does nothing but hurt your potential income as rooted Android users are going to simply go elsewhere to get their content. If someone really wanted to steal a movie, it can be easily done with a computer (even HD quality). Contrary to your wishes, such practices will only further entice consumers to pirate copyrighted content, since you are pretty much stripping them of the legal way of watching movies.

Of course, there will always be other options, where rooted users can happily go and invest their money. So if you are one of the rooted users suffering from lack of access to these services, please comment below and let the big boys know where you are spending your hard earned cash! Don’t forget to also share your opinions on this trend with us in the comments.

Via: Droid Life

Hello, I am Edgar Cervantes. I am an avid Android fan, and keeping myself updated on the topic is part of my daily life. I will always work hard to give the best of me to our community of Android enthusiasts, and I am very honored to be part of this ship. Hopefully we can all enjoy sharing our knowledge and opinions!

• http://Website dagamer34

So…. rarely used Android app now gets less incentive to use it?

• http://Website usnmustanger

Wait, what? Who’s Blockbuster again?
    Another question: Does anyone other than Blockbusters 7 remaining customers really care?

• http://Website Chahk

Blockbuster… Blockbuster… Why does that name ring a bell? Wait, didn’t they go belly-up a year ago? Why are they still relevant?

• http://Website Jason

I love this! It just encourages rooters to find a pirated copy and put it on their phone.

• http://Website Noriega713

I didn’t even know Blockbuster had an app… I’m pretty happy using the Netflix app and the Dish network app.

• https://market.android.com EncryptedFile

Do onto others…

So you wish to treat me like a criminal because I am more intelligent than you, and want full control over a device that I paid for, and belongs to me, and only me?
    So be it.
    I hope you know that by doing stupid things like this YOU are turning legitimate users, and potential customers into pirates.
    If I want to watch a movie on my cellphone, and there is no legal way to do so do you really think I’m going to just not watch a movie?

• http://Website Eli

Wow, I love that. Now listen. I download movies just as much as any other guy, but to say “We want it, and you aren’t giving it. In that case, we will just take it.” is just immature.

“I want a new car, since there is no legal way to get one with my budget, I’m gonna just take one!” is basically what you just said.

If you are gonna steal something, at least grow up and admit it’s stealing.

• mrmikem513

Blockbuster: irrelevant when they got here, and twice as irrelevant now.

• http://bryan-siegel.blogspot.com bryansiegel

This is b.s. I rooted my Mytouch 4g because sense sucks and was buggy as hell. I seriously got around 4 hours of battery before the root and now I get a full day. Not to mention the crap apps that always ran in the background such as yahoo. This plus the whole Netflix on only 5 phone deal is making me look at windows phone 7 more and more (Only if the Mango update delivers).

• http://Website j

That’s just ignorant.
    Rooting and stealing have nothing in common.

Anyway, I don’t really care:D

• http://Website Derek

Oh well, the MPAA couldve made money off of me, but now I’ll just download any movie I want with torrents and get it for free. HAHA

• http://lettersfromdave.wordpress.com daveloft

I think what their saying is they want to use these apps instead.

TV Shows Stream

Movie Stream

The inability for corporate big wigs to think outside their own echo chamber is pathetic and amusing all at the same time.

• http://Website schwiz

I hate all these companies stuck in the old way of business, sorry your money is no good here! If you want to stop piracy make it easier to pay than to pirate, its as simple as that.

• http://lettersfromdave.wordpress.com daveloft

I think what their saying is they want to use these apps instead.

TV Shows Stream and Movie Stream

• http://Website reddragon72

My view of this app is the same as google movies, I am not going to pay per movie view on my phone period. So with that this effects me in no way at all.

BUT…. just in case any of those bigwigs are reading this will not stop anyone from steeling movies off the phone(not that anyone would anyways, but I guess there are two people that thought about it). And an easy way to do this is to root the phone, place a copy app(yes they exist) that will copy a file(the DRM’d movie streaming to your phone) from it’s drop folder to another folder that the app wont know to erase the movie cache from. then unroot the phone and watch a movie. Then you have your file to DRM break and have for ever. It is a simple concept and can be implemented when rooted and then simply unroot. Why do companies think that one little “block” will stop someone. Or in this case make them a criminal.

Bigwigs, if someone wants it they are going to get it. All your doing here is hurting, your now 40%, fan base of users, yea about 40% of android users root there phones. And we don’t do it to steal we do it so we can play around. period!

• http://Website ford460

i was gonna say how can a company that died have an app much less care bout who uses it lol i mean really your in chapter 11 and your being picky on top of a ripoff …..netflix :) oh wait didnt they put u outta business lmao

• http://Website Comet

For me it looks like the industry legal arm is so old school that anything related to the internet is seen as “the enemy”. Negotiating with this guys must be a major pain in the butt. Their only hurting their business with this type of actions. I can’t find any reason to justify this action towards rooting.

What the movie industry should pay attention to is how fast the community tried to bring Netflix to non supported devices. What they should pay attention to is that Netflix has been on of the top apps on Android market. This shows that people want a legit way to access movies and tv shows. This shows people are willing to PAY for this content for the convenience and ease of use of this apps.

Good job movie industry turning paying customers to non paying ones.

• http://Website Tristan

• AME

• http://www.aaandroid.com/ Avi

Rememberwhen Google banned download paid apps from the Market for rooted users? That lasted about a while day. Besides, it’s 2011. Who rents movies anyway? I get everything on my 8,000 cable channels.

• http://OnlineMoviesAddict.com free movies

I?ve learn several just right stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how a lot attempt you put to create the sort of excellent informative site.

1. dagamer34Guest 4 years ago

So…. rarely used Android app now gets less incentive to use it?

2. usnmustangerGuest 4 years ago

Wait, what? Who’s Blockbuster again?

3. ChahkGuest 4 years ago

4. JasonGuest 4 years ago

5. Noriega713Guest 4 years ago

6. EncryptedFileGuest 4 years ago

Do onto others…

So be it.

• EliGuest 4 years ago

If you are gonna steal something, at least grow up and admit it’s stealing.

7. So, a bankrupt company risks alienating even more customers by playing hardball.

Blockbuster: irrelevant when they got here, and twice as irrelevant now.

8. bryansiegelGuest 4 years ago

9. jGuest 4 years ago

That’s just ignorant.
    Rooting and stealing have nothing in common.

Anyway, I don’t really care:D

10. DerekGuest 4 years ago

11. daveloftGuest 4 years ago

I think what their saying is they want to use these apps instead.

TV Shows Stream

Movie Stream

12. schwizGuest 4 years ago

13. daveloftGuest 4 years ago

I think what their saying is they want to use these apps instead.

TV Shows Stream and Movie Stream

14. reddragon72Guest 4 years ago

15. ford460Guest 4 years ago

16. CometGuest 4 years ago

Good job movie industry turning paying customers to non paying ones.

17. TristanGuest 4 years ago

18. Blockbuster would have filled a serious void in the Android community by being the only provider of movie rentals to rooted users. They seriously screwed up here! This was a perfect opportunity to beat Netflix and Google… when will Blockbuster EVER get that chance again?!

19. AviGuest 4 years ago