Jul 06 AT 12:31 PM Alberto Vildosola 21 Comments

Spotify coming to the US, sign up for invites now

No, you’re not dreaming. Spotify is finally coming to the United States. After more than two years of blessing our European brothers with their presence, Spotify is ready to bring their service to the US. If you’re interested in signing up for Spotify, you can do so by going here.

For those of you unfamiliar with Spotify, the company offers music streaming via desktop and mobile app. The service is free as long as you can put up with some ads and a listening limit of 10 hours/month. If you want to get rid of those limitations, you can upgrade to Spotify Unlimited for €4.99/month. If you want to enjoy premium features like offline support, enhanced sound quality and the Android app, you’ll have to upgrade to Spotify Premium for â‚¬9.99/month. Keep in mind these are European prices and could very well change for the US.

A few years ago when most of us were still managing our music libraries with iTunes, Window Media Player or manually, Spotify seemed like a dream come true. Imagine if you could play any song you wanted from any PC you wanted. Amazing. But then Grooveshark, Rdio, Google Music and Amazon’s Cloud Player arrived. All of a sudden, Spotify didn’t seem like that big of a deal.

Take for instance Grooveshark, which lets users listen to all the songs they want for free without any ads. In the rare case that the service doesn’t have the song you want, just upload the music file from your PC. If you want to use the service on your Android phone, upgrade to Grooveshark Anywhere for just $3/month or $30/year. Finally, Grooveshark is available as a web app, letting you access the service from any computer. In summary, Grooveshark is cheaper, better and simpler than Spotify. And it’s available right now.

With that said, I’m sure some of you are excited about using Spotify. If you aren’t, we’d like to know which music streaming service you’re already using.

Source: Spotify

Alberto is a college student living somewhere between Miami, Sarasota and the World Wide Web. Although a former iPhone owner, Alberto is now a proud Android enthusiast. You can follow Alberto on Twitter and Google+ for his thoughts unworthy of an article.

• http://maxtechnewz.blogspot.com/ Max

ill pass i like Google music beta alot but still will sign up for the hell of it

• http://Website JGarrido

How is their service any different from what Rhapsody has offered here for years?

• http://Website Hoss789

I have honestly been wondering the same question for a while. spodify has a limited free service, besides that, they paid services appears to be almost identical. I think Rhapsody has really dropped the ball. The tech world is holding their collective breath waiting on a service that they already provide. I would appreciate it if someone could detail any actual difference between the two services.

• http://Website NamelessTed

Talk about being at least a year too late. I remember wanting to get in on Spotify quite a while ago and not being able to, being in the US. But that was before we had all of the apps and services we have now with Android and in general.

I already have a Google Music account with my entire music collection synced up. I realize that a lot of companies want to get in on this action in hopes of making a profit. I just think it is a terrible business to compete directly with service that the major phone companies already offer.

I mean, Apple is the company when it comes to music. All iPhones sync with iTunes, and wireless sync is an upcoming feature. I would think companies would find it very difficult to convince iDevice users to switch to a likely inferior product. Then you have Google. Companies hate Google because they tend to offer amazing products for free. They literally changed the cell GPS market almost overnight when they introduced free directions. Sales on 3rd party GPS apps plummeted. Now we have Google Music. The more people use Google products, the less likely they will be to use a third party app to do something that they already have.

• http://Website tahngarth

I’ve been using rdio for a few months now and have liked it for the most part. Most interesting thing to me about spotify (hopefully, licensing could be an issue) is a few million more tracks than rdio.

I tried grooveshark, but I kept running into issues due to it being user driven, for non mainstream stuff it’s very disorganized and sometimes missing tracks. I got annoyed very quickly and stopped considering it.

Rhapsody/rdio/mog/zune pass/qriocity/thumbplay are all very similar.

• http://Website Lamont

Im a GOOGLE MUSIC Beta tester and have to say nothing will touch Music Beta as long as prices are low with the official release and the integrate Bluetooth control of the android app.

• http://Website Gee

Google Music sucks. Grooveshark ($20/yr) and Mog ($8/mo) are way better.

• http://Website monkeydroid

nothing beats free

• http://Website Ruben

NOTHING!!!

• http://Website Kevin

Google Music needs a lot of work IMHO.. the syncing can be slow to load, and sometimes it even skips tracks (forcing me re-load the song 2 or 3 times).Plus, the lack of a standalone program similar to itunes or windows media player is frustrating… Also, there is the lack of support from the music industry meaning we cannot purchase songs.

I’m all for Google and Google products, but they have a lot of work to do! I’ll use spotify until Google gets everything in order.

• http://Website Boyd

Amazon music player more than meets my needs.

• http://facebook.com/jestertx2001 Jes

I used Subsonic to stream from my always-on PC for the past two years. I agree with Kevin in that Google Music Beta has a lot of work to do, but I will admit that I have not used Subsonic since I got Google Music. Perhaps I’ll go back to it when Google Music moves to a pay service…

I also agree with you, Alberto, that a year or two ago Spotify was a service I was willing to spoof my IP address for. Now? Meh…

• http://Website zedthegreat

People seem to be missing the point. This is NOT INSTEAD of Amazon / Google / iTunes cloud storage. Those services allow you to access the music you already own, albeit in a different way.

No, Spotify allows you to access music the you do not already own. OK you don’t keep it, you rent it (kind of) but at a cost a lot less than buying, all the way down to £free.

• http://www.StealthGenie.com Erick Kancaid

My fellow music lovers are going to really appreciate this service in USA. We in UK have been enjoying this for a while now. In fact that is my main source of listening to music.

• http://www.av3x.com/help.php?section=contactus&mode=update brainwaves

you are in point of fact a good webmaster. The web site loading pace is amazing. It sort of feels that you are doing any distinctive trick. Also, The contents are masterwork. you’ve performed a magnificent process on this topic!

• http://www.noyas.net Here it is, The epic battle between the two biggest (correct me if I’m wrong) music streaming services online. I’ve used Spotify a many years now and out of nowhere I managed to stumbled upon the music service Grooveshark. So I thought I’d face these two

Its such as you read my thoughts! You seem to know a lot approximately this, like you wrote the e-book in it or something. I feel that you simply could do with some percent to power the message house a little bit, but instead of that, this is excellent blog. A great read. I will certainly be back.

• http://www.spotify-premium.org/contact.php spotify premium code

Heya i am for the primary time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out a lot. I’m hoping to present one thing back and help others like you helped me.

• Melissa Lyn

For free spotify invites visit http://www.unotelly.com We also offer spotify free for our non US friends !!!!

• Ranson

Thanks Melissa, that was really a treat. I tried unodns from unotelly free trial service and enjoyed U.S. channels here in Canada. Thank you for providing this link

• John

Thanks Melissa ! Your website was awesome ! Highly recommended….

• derek

Just found a brilliant easy way of changing the Netflix content from the UK to the US. Though you do need to be using a Router.

Loads more content and full seasons of TV shows like 24, Lost, Desperate Housewives and so on.

So, just go to ‘Network Settings’ on your PS3.

Then:

Internet Connection Settings

Then:

Scroll all the way to the right until you get to DNS settings.

Change the Primary DNS to 23.21.182.24
    Change the Secondry DNS to 184.169.139.227

Accept the settings and keep scrolling to the right again until it’s all complete.

Reboot the PS3 – this is important as nothing will change unless you do this.

Then load up Netflix and away you go with more interesting content!

1. MaxGuest 4 years ago

2. JGarridoGuest 4 years ago

• Hoss789Guest 4 years ago

3. NamelessTedGuest 4 years ago

4. tahngarthGuest 4 years ago

Rhapsody/rdio/mog/zune pass/qriocity/thumbplay are all very similar.

5. LamontGuest 4 years ago

• GeeGuest 4 years ago

Google Music sucks. Grooveshark ($20/yr) and Mog ($8/mo) are way better.

6. KevinGuest 4 years ago

7. BoydGuest 4 years ago

Amazon music player more than meets my needs.

8. JesGuest 4 years ago

9. zedthegreatGuest 4 years ago

10. Erick KancaidGuest 4 years ago

11. brainwavesGuest 4 years ago

12. Here it is, The epic battle between the two biggest (correct me if I'm wrong) music streaming services online. I've used Spotify a many years now and out of nowhere I managed to stumbled upon the music service Grooveshark. So I thought I'd face these two Guest 4 years ago

13. spotify premium codeGuest 4 years ago

14. Melissa LynGuest 3 years ago

• RansonGuest 3 years ago

15. JohnGuest 3 years ago

Thanks Melissa ! Your website was awesome ! Highly recommended….

16. derekGuest 3 years ago

So, just go to ‘Network Settings’ on your PS3.

Then:

Internet Connection Settings

Then:

Scroll all the way to the right until you get to DNS settings.

Change the Primary DNS to 23.21.182.24
    Change the Secondry DNS to 184.169.139.227

Reboot the PS3 – this is important as nothing will change unless you do this.

Then load up Netflix and away you go with more interesting content!