Jul 07 AT 2:23 PM Edgar Cervantes 27 Comments

Video: myTouch 4G Slide camera overview – “The most advanced smartphone camera”

We usually don’t focus on cameras, since we’re usually distracted by other specs. With the myTouch 4G Slide, we were mostly excited for that fancy physical keyboard (which may be a huge factor for many of you, as well). But when T-Mobile finally announced the device after a fair share of rumors and leaks, we found out something very remarkable about this device. The myTouch 4G Slide takes mobile photography to the next level, bringing the “most advanced camera of any smartphone.”

According to T-Mobile, this phone is meant to completely replace digital cameras.  In order to do so, this phone has been built with an outstanding camera. These are the main features HTC is treating myTouch 4G Slide users with:

• 8 MP camera, with 1080p video recording
  • Improved low-light Performance  – backside illuminated sensor and a wide aperture lens (f/2.2)
  • Zero shutter lag – innovative software features allow for an instantaneous shot at a precise moment
  • SweepShot – capture panoramic shots by sweeping across an entire scene in a single motion
  • ClearShot HDR – capture objects in bright settings so your photos are not affected by high-contrast lighting
  • BurstShot – capture multiple photos in a quick burst so you don’t miss the perfect photo

We know most of you are excited to see what this camera can do (or are at least curious). T-Mobile knows this too, so they’ve put together a video for your enjoyment. This short overview will give you an introduction to what this camera can do and how the camera app works. We’re going to hold off judgment until we can see this hands-on, but let us know what you think! Anyone thinking about getting this phone? What would be your greatest incentive? Camera, keyboard, or specs?

Source: TMobile (Youtube)

Hello, I am Edgar Cervantes. I am an avid Android fan, and keeping myself updated on the topic is part of my daily life. I will always work hard to give the best of me to our community of Android enthusiasts, and I am very honored to be part of this ship. Hopefully we can all enjoy sharing our knowledge and opinions!

• http://Website anilo

• http://Website sansenoy

congratulations

• http://Website Zer0-9

If it doesn’t have a 30x optical zoom or the ability to shoot 240FPS video then I’ll still be using my digital camera.

However for most people I’m sure this will be a fantastic camera.

• http://Website Paul

Do you have that camera on you at all times? There was a quote once, something about the best camera is the one you have with you when you need it. It’s not designed to replace high end digital camera’s, but it’s designed to replace basic to mid-level Point and Shoot camera’s, which until now still generally took better shots than Camera Phones. I’ll have a nice digital camera for special events and such, but I don’t plan on bringing that camera with me everywhere I go, but I do plan to have my phone with me everywhere I go. So the instant my son does something cute, or I see the most awesome sunset, or a coworker slips and falls into a pile of mud, I won’t have to run home and get my ‘good’ camera. I’m liking the idea of a good ‘everyday’ camera and a great ‘special events’ camera.

• http://Website Mark

HTC Sense. ‘Nuff said.

• http://Website sansenoy

Really??? An argument or two could help the unwashed masses ascertain whether you be dissin’ or praizin’…

• http://Website Paul

I heard the HTC Sense on this phone has been dialed back some, not as heavy as some other phones. But even then, the general consensus I’ve been seeing is that HTC Sense is the ‘best’ overlay to Android out of all the others. Samsung’s TouchWiz, Motorola’s MotoBlur, etc. they all pale in comparison to HTC SenseUI. That’s why HTC SenseUI based custom ROM’s exist, and why there are HTC SenseUI Themes and home replacements, to mimick the interface. If it ‘sucked’ so bad, why would the hacker rom community release rom’s based on it or have rom’s that mimick it? I’ve been using Stock Android, and then CM7 with ADW EX, for some time now, but even I’m not opposed to ‘trying’ an HTC SenseUI ROM. This will be the latest and greatest version and it’s dialed back some. Absolute worst case scenerio is I hate the ROM and the hacking community releases CM7 for this phone and I switch out the ROM. I’m looking more at the hardware spec’s than I am the software, because that’s all that really matters in the end, SW can be changed on the drop of a dime (usually).

• http://Website Um…

Am I just blind or did neither your article nor the video tell us the camera’s megapixel or video resolution?
    Aside from that, the features are awesome and right off the top of my head I can think of a dozen or so friends, all of who do 90% of their picture taking with their cell phone, who would love this device. As long as it doesn’t sacrifice any other critical android features or hardware specs, then I say more manufacturers should jump on the high-end cell phone camera wagon.

• http://www.kablowie.com Greg B

8MP camera, WVGA screen (800 x 480), 1080p video recording (1920×1080).

Really hoping the camera lives up to the hype. My wife is dying to get this.

• http://Website Paul

It has the same resolution display as the Nexus One, G2, etc. most other Android phones. It has a Dual Core 3rd Generation Snapdragon CPU, 1.2ghz. That means it’ll fly. The 800mhz 2nd gen Snapdragon CPU in my T-Mobile G2 could be overclocked to 1.9ghz without losing stability; but more safely I kept it OC’d to around 1.5ghz when I needed the extra speed. I can’t even begin to imagine how much the 1.2ghz Dual Core 3rd generation snapdragon CPU can be overclocked. My G2 has great graphics and plays most games with ease, but this MT4GS will have an even better GPU. Front facing camera, dual flash, fast cpu, great gpu, etc. Normally I don’t consider the MyTouch line “high end”, more mid-line, but every spec I see on this phone is great.

• http://www.kablowie.com Greg B

I’m a physical keyboard guy, but if I were buying just for the KB, I’d get the Droid 3 with the 5-row keyboard. If VZN and Moto hadn’t gone and ruined the Droid 3 in other respects (low RAM, no LTE), I’d be sorely tempted.

Even on my Samsung Moment, which is pretty craptastic, I get a dedicated number row on the KB. I’m sure I’ll get used to having to press a special key to tap a number, but I’m not happy about it.

It’s a dual core slider with LTE, which is good enough for me. But my wife is an artist, loves snapping pics with her phone, and is just slobbering over this one. So PLEASE T-Mo, launch it!

• http://Website chris125

It doesn’t have lte its on tmo

• http://Website Paul

I’m a physical keyboard guy as well, thus I have the G2. My wife had the MT3GS but recently changed to a HD2 because she wanted the bigger screen and higher resolution. I also am a big fan of a D-Pad which many Android phones seem to be abandoning. I love that this phone has a D-Pad, superior rear camera, front-facing camera (g2 does not), a real keyboard, Dual Core 3rd Generation Snapdragon (2nd gen snapdragon in the G2 rocked), better graphics, dual flash, bigger battery (than the g2), faster ’4g’ network support (than the G2), etc. it seems an all around upgrade for me except that the G2 is very popular, lots of support, CM himself has one. I just hope they don’t muck it up too bad with HTC SenseUI, I hear good things about SenseUI vs all the other ‘mods’ and such out there, but if the phone is unlocked or easy to unlock then CM may pickup support for this phone and then who cares about the software on it.

• http://Website alex

we need this on the Nexus Prime :)

• http://Website Daniel

I’ skeptical about this, it is after all still an HTC camera…

• http://Website sansenoy

Yes, but they are really going for it this time, it’s a major R&D priority right now…

• http://Website Chike

Honestly it doesn’t seem all that newer than the HTC sensation’s camera besides the hardware theres nothing new. (At least from what I’ve seen in the video)

• http://Website sarah80

i mytouch myself with a slide too

• http://Website giggles

i will agree with “completely replaces digital cameras when i can stick a telephoto lens on the back of my phone and when it does a better job than the nokia N8

• http://www.mobilexvideos.com movies

Camera seems cool- only thing I’m not too hot on is how thick it is, and its a small screen

• http://Website Paul

3.7″ isn’t too bad. It’s the same on the Nexus One and the G2 (HTC visiion), the 2 previous Android phones I’ve owned, so it’s not an upgrade or downgrade. In addition is uses SLCD which is better than the LCD in the G2. I do get spoiled by the 4″ screen on my wife’s HD2 but it’s all subjective. It’s thicker because of the keyboard, it’s right around the same thickness as the G2, so it’s comparable. If you need thin, then you really can’t have a ‘keyboard’ option, and you should look to the Galaxy SII. I’m hoping to have this MT4GS for my personal phone on Simple Mobile (T-Mobile’s network) and really hoping my work gets me a Galaxy SII on AT&T’s network as my company phone.

• http://Website Paul

I’ve actually been debating if I should sell my G2 and buy one of these phones. I like that it’s got the 3rd generation snapdragon processor in it, the 2nd generation in my G2 (htc vision) rocked, can’t wait to see what a 3rd generation dual core 1.2ghz cpu can do. It’s got upgraded GPU for better graphics and has a front facing camera. Now it’s supposed to have a great rear camera as well. Seems superior to my G2 in all aspects. I just wonder if it’ll be popular enough for their to be accessories for it, cases, batteries, etc. and if it’ll be locked and if CyanogenMod will add support for it. But I’m seriously considering ditching my beloved G2 for this phone.

• http://Website Kockmeatsandwich

I’m wondering if I should return my sensation 4 g for this one?

• http://Website phact0rri

Having a nice camera is a good thing to have, but a decently spec’d phone with a physical keyboard, and modest screen (I really don’t fancy huge screens, batteries die) are the reasons I’m really contemplating this phone

• http://Website nick

I have the Sensation and this doesn’t seem to different from it aside from the keyboard. Also, the hideous version of Sense (Espresso) will be stuck on this thing. I’ll stick with my Sensation.

• http://Website undecided

@paul The keyboard doesn’t have a dpad.

I’m curious if this will be an issue for me, dpad is crucial for the keyboard to outshine the soft keyboard imo

• http://aawfhr213.5coolforum.com/ Video Camera

You really make it seem really easy with your presentation but I in finding this topic to be actually something that I think I would never understand. It kind of feels too complicated and extremely extensive for me. I’m taking a look forward to your next post, I’ll try to get the hold of it!

1. aniloGuest 4 years ago

2. Zer0-9Guest 4 years ago

However for most people I’m sure this will be a fantastic camera.

• PaulGuest 4 years ago

3. MarkGuest 4 years ago

HTC Sense. ‘Nuff said.

• sansenoyGuest 4 years ago

• PaulGuest 4 years ago

4. Um...Guest 4 years ago

• Greg BGuest 4 years ago

8MP camera, WVGA screen (800 x 480), 1080p video recording (1920×1080).

Really hoping the camera lives up to the hype. My wife is dying to get this.

• PaulGuest 4 years ago

5. Greg BGuest 4 years ago

• chris125Guest 4 years ago

It doesn’t have lte its on tmo

• PaulGuest 4 years ago

6. alexGuest 4 years ago

we need this on the Nexus Prime :)

7. DanielGuest 4 years ago

I’ skeptical about this, it is after all still an HTC camera…

• sansenoyGuest 4 years ago

8. ChikeGuest 4 years ago

9. sarah80Guest 4 years ago

i mytouch myself with a slide too

10. gigglesGuest 4 years ago

11. moviesGuest 4 years ago

• PaulGuest 4 years ago

12. PaulGuest 4 years ago

13. KockmeatsandwichGuest 4 years ago

I’m wondering if I should return my sensation 4 g for this one?

14. phact0rriGuest 4 years ago

15. nickGuest 4 years ago

16. undecidedGuest 4 years ago

@paul The keyboard doesn’t have a dpad.

17. Video CameraGuest 4 years ago