Sep 01 AT 9:48 AM Anthony Domanico 25 Comments

Samsung announces Galaxy Tab 7.7, first tablet with Super AMOLED+

tabpostimage

Samsung has officially announced the Galaxy Tab 7.7 this morning at the IFA conference in Berlin. The Galaxy Tab 7.7 will be the first tablet released that sports Samsung’s gorgeous Super AMOLED+ display.

The Galaxy Tab 7.7 will have the following features:

• 1.4 GHz dual-core processor
  • 7.7-inch Super AMOLED+ display
  • 7.89 mm thin, weighing just 0.75 pounds
  • HSPA+ 21MBPS support
  • 5,100 mAh battery providing up to 10 hours of video playback
  • Android 3.2 Honeycomb with Touchwiz UX
  • MicroSD card support (up to 32GB)
  • 16/32/64GB internal memory for a total of up to 96GB of storage space

No details on availability of the Tab 7.7 were released, including whether or not it will make its way to the United States. With HSPA+ support (no mention of LTE anywhere in the press release), the device will likely only be available on either T-Mobile or AT&T if it does come to the US.

We know several of you have bemoaned how large the 10″ tablets are and prefer the smaller form factors found in the original Galaxy Tab. I can see your argument, though I personally prefer to lose some portability for a larger screen size.

With today’s announcement, who out there plans to make the Galaxy Tab 7.7 your next Honeycomb Android tablet? Are you disappointed in the lack of an LTE model? Let us know in the comments.

tabpostimage GALAXY Tab 7.7 Product Image (1) GALAXY Tab 7.7 Product Image (3) GALAXY Tab 7.7 Product Image (6) GALAXY Tab 7.7 Product Image (7)

Anthony loves all things technology, from hardware to apps and games. You can connect with him via Google+ or Twitter by clicking one of the fancy doo-dads above.

• Interpol91

• BiGMERF

Thank you androidandme for the non-existing live coverage from IFA!
      Im going back to engadget!

• Transient

I was pretty set on never buying a smartphone inspired tablet but if Google releases a Nexus tablet in this size with a quad core CPU I’d buy three.

• martin

i didnt see the point in a smaller tablet. then i played around with a nook color for a few weeks and my opinion changed. for being so cheap it had a great form factor and typing on it in portrait was a dream. realizing the smaller size just made it more portable won me over. i dont need a 10″ screen, a 7″ screen is good enough. i just hope this thing isn’t $700+. really this has the same parts as a phone (except screen and battery).

• Jeff

10+ inch Android tablets are pretty much dead. I think most people are going to prefer the 7″ form factor if they want an Android tablet, because if you want ~10″ tablet, you’re getting an iPad.

• triangle

This is one of the many reasons why I love android.

• martin

i don’t think apple only believes a tablet should be 8.9″. i’d bet they agree different sizes work well but the 8.9″ was small enough it didnt cost too much for parts, but big enough that they could justify their price. I have the feeling it was a convergence of a number of factors which they later justified with saying “its the right way/size/thing to do, the other sizes don’t make sense”.

• heeros

• https://plus.google.com/102607757030352997406 daveloft

I’m not finding much use for one in my ASUS Transformer besides holding zip flies to flash new Roms. Apps and games can’t use it and since I use Google Music and Rdio for my music needs I can’t use the microSD to store music either. I use Comixology, Kindle, Kobo and Zinio for reading and they automatically download to the internal drive with no option to move to the external. If I watch video it’s typically from YouTube or Netflix so I’m finding little use to having the microSD card.

• triangle

Ah, but do you watch movies on airplanes? I find that having the SD card slot is great for having a film library with you when you’re traveling.

• http://gplus.to/daveloft daveloft

Once a year at the most. But my tablet has 19GB free, so I’m good.

• Galen20K

Very Nice Samsung, you’re really impressing me lately!

• Preston117

I’m an iPad guy, but hot damn this impresses me. Also, that back is some beautiful design. If I didn’t own an iPad, I’d own this.

• http://goo.gl/tQ2E wwJOSHdo

it looks so beautiful…

• marc

I could see this tablet being a good seller at around 350-400$ but im sure Samsung will overprice it.

• olen

• Ryan

Yes! This looks quite wonderful, and it certainly looks like that isn’t a Tegra 2 processor, which is a good thing. Tegra 2 can’t do high profile h264 at 1080p, which means it won’t play most of my video collection. Deal breaker.

However Sammy’s newer high-end processors do, as well as the new high-end stuff from TI, so this little guy is golden.

Not a big fan of TouchWiz, I think Honeycomb is just fine without it, but that Super AMOLED+!? I was blown away by the earlier technology in the first run of Nexus One’s, even if the Pentile bit drove me insane.

• Nathan

Simply an amazing tablet to bad I can’t get on right now :(

• Dustin Earley

• http://google hle33696

I really like biggest screen size best both world from 1 to 10 i score 11 point for samsung note the look performed out play and stand on top of smartphone today.Thank samsung yall bring out what people want and need.

• dj

I would love to own a Galaxy Tab 10.1 with true 100% HD screen rather it be (whatever number goes here)x720 or (whatever number goes here)x1080. With a Super AMOLED+++, 4G LTE capabilities, but on any carrier that has it i.e. Verizon. AT&T, or even Sprint(once or if they roll it out). Actually ignore what i just said i=I honestly wouldn’t pay those outrageous prices for Tablet LTE on Verizon or even there Broadband plans its the SAME FLIPPIN DATA YET YOU GET CHARGED 2x or even 3x more for the same measly 2,3, or 5 gigs its outrageous. I jsut want any brands tablet wifi with all the usual specs a dual core Exynos clocked @ 1.2 or 1.5 the scree ni just mentioned above with the full HD 720 or 1080(idk if 1080 is possible yet), TBH i dont need a great camera on the back or even a cam @ all just up the megapixles and sensor on the FFC thats the only one you really need on a Tab amirite?

• http://sean-the-electrofreak.blogspot.com/ Sean the Electrofreak

I’m just hoping the resolution is good…

• http://littlegreenrobot.net Alex Nguyen

Samsung is really starting to up its hardware design game. Recent devices such as the Series 9 ultraportable, Galaxy Tab 10.1, and Galaxy S II were a new step in design for them and now the 7.7 continues this trend of awesome looking devices. We use to complain a lot about their low quality materials, but I think they’re doing a lot better now. More on how Samsung devices are starting to look a lot sexier on my editorial column: http://wp.me/p1BlyQ-5m

• alex

Samsung should go with vzw. Lte is much faster and better service.

• SliestDragon

1. I’m loving this tablet although I’m just like Anthony and prefer the larger screen size. Though I won’t buy it if it does come to the U.S. it’s always interesting to see what Samsung is up to.

2. TransientGuest 4 years ago

3. martinGuest 4 years ago

4. JeffGuest 4 years ago

• Agree with you on the appeal of different sizes for tablets. Apple could learn something here. I think Steve Jobs was way to early in dismissing 7″ as being too small. Apple needs to learn that one size does not fit all.

This is one of the many reasons why I love android.

• martinGuest 4 years ago

5. I’m happy to see they’re including microSD card slots again. I was really disappointed to find out the 10.1″ tablet was lacking one, and I’m impressed with a 64 GB option.

• daveloftGuest 4 years ago

6. Gorgeous Tablet for sure, love the screen tech, MicroSD(hello 10.1), and what I “think” looks to be a brushed metal back. Sure winner on their hands although I have a 10.1 and have no intentions of buying another tablet for while especially since I just got a firesale TouchPad not a week ago.

Very Nice Samsung, you’re really impressing me lately!

7. Preston117Guest 4 years ago

8. it looks so beautiful…

9. marcGuest 4 years ago

10. i don’t have a tablet. i never wanted one. but this nice thingy looks awesome, 1st to think about buying

11. RyanGuest 4 years ago

12. Simply an amazing tablet to bad I can’t get on right now :(

13. I’ve been waiting a long time to buy a tablet. I think I finally know which one I’m gonna go for.

14. hle33696Guest 4 years ago

15. djGuest 4 years ago

16. The Super AMOLED on my Epic 4G is awesome enough, and I’ve seen the 4.5 inch Super AMOLED Plus on the Samsung Infuse, so having that display on a tablet would be mind-blowing.

I’m just hoping the resolution is good…

17. Alex NguyenGuest 4 years ago

18. alexGuest 4 years ago

Samsung should go with vzw. Lte is much faster and better service.

19. Man, Super Amoled on a tablet sure is tempting. So many great tablets coming out this fall! :D