Oct 13 AT 2:08 PM Dustin Earley 14 Comments

CyanogenMod alpha now available for HP TouchPad

hp-touchpad-android

For some TouchPad owners, this day couldn’t come soon enough. Finally, at long last, CyanogenMod 7 is available to download on the HP TouchPad.

Fitted with the subtitle “Lower Your Expectations Edition,” CyanogenMod 7 alpha 1 is the most complete TouchPad port of Android to hit the web yet. There are some app compatibility, camera, WiFi and power management issues, but the list of features that are near completion is impressive to say the least. The folks from CyanogenMod even have Netflix working–something not all Android manufacturers can say.

There’s still a lot of work to be done before the project is considered complete, but the status of the alpha and public availability is a great sign of just how fast things are moving along. For a walkthrough of the latest features, be sure to check out the video below. For download information and to stay caught up with the progress of CyanogenMod for TouchPad, keep checking back with the original thread on RootzWiki. If you muster up the courage to take the plunge, let us know how it works for you in the comments below.

Source: RootzWiki

Dustin Earley: Tech enthusiast; avid gamer; all around jolly guy.

• R.S

• Josh Phillips

So far, so good. The only major issue I have come across is the market filtering out apps. It won’t replace my Xoom, but it is a fun experiment.

The install looks a little complicated, but I honestly thing they tried to make it look confusing to prevent the less technically inclined from attempting it. Once you actually read through the instructions though, it goes quite smooth. Totally painless.

Other surprises are that some apps give you the Honeycomb interface. The best one so far is Plume. The themes I’ve tried work fine as well. And of course, Thumb Keyboard is a must.

• heeros

Angry Birds RIO has no problems.
    All in all I’m impressed how well it works. The installation was painless, I had a few problems getting it to connect to wifi after installing the gapps, but most applications I use were available in the market. Some exceptions, google maps, Dolphin HD, Mango, twitter (tweetcaster works).

Google Docs crashes for me on start.

• Dustin Earley

• heeros

• heeros

• Nzinga Johnson

Funny video! My techhusband says wait. So’ I’m waiting.

• gabe

I’m tired of people saying they will wait for a more stable release. I’m typing this on android on my touchpad and its incredibly stable.

• Interpol91

• Rydroid

Cynagen mod makes it to HP touchpad and yet still waiting on the original phablet the dell streak lol

• McLovin

Got it and am running it now on Touchpad to post this! Thanks CyanogenMod!

• Evan

I’m very grateful to the CM7 team for their hard work. Nice to have it running on my Touchpad. So much faster. I’m glad to replace my old unresponsive webos keyboard for a working one. But you definitely feel the alpha build. W-fi drops out occasionally and I have had more than one force-close. But that’s not enough to make not use it. But I’ll still be using my webos dual-boot for my stability dependent tasks like work.

• Connor

I put this on my touchpad and i couldn’t be happier with it. There are some small issues, but overall, there’s nothing major wrong. The camera is distorted, and the accelerometer can act funny at times but so far, there’s no deal breakers to be found. My one complaint to this point is that any HD labeled apps that i get my hands on says they are not compatible with my device. It’s rather annoying because i really want to test the 3D abilities of my touchpad, but they just say that they aren’t compatible. I hope this will be fixed later, but still, i’m incredibly happy with my android touchpad! :)

1. I’ll wait until a more stable version is released. Nonetheless, it’s still good to hear news of the progress of getting Android OS on the TouchPad.

2. Josh PhillipsGuest 4 years ago

3. Angry Birds RIO has no problems.

Google Docs crashes for me on start.

• I was kidding about the Angry Birds, but that’s great. I almost regret selling my TouchPad now.

• I knew you were kidding, I just thought I’d put it out there, since that seems to be the application most people are worried about when testing a new tablet, lol

• just to update my previous post, after about 6 hour of no real problems my wifi cut out and deactivating, clearing network setting, restarting the device all didn’t fix it. after I left the wifi off for a while, and disabled wifi power management it came back, but I wouldn’t rely on it entirely yet.

4. Nzinga JohnsonGuest 4 years ago

Funny video! My techhusband says wait. So’ I’m waiting.

5. gabeGuest 4 years ago

• Definitely. It is very stable and I’m loving seeing Android on the touchpad along with the apps. Finally I can transfer over some stuff from my phone to start tweaking it.

6. RydroidGuest 4 years ago

7. Got it and am running it now on Touchpad to post this! Thanks CyanogenMod!

8. EvanGuest 4 years ago