Nov 21 AT 12:47 PM Taylor Wimberly 16 Comments

GLBenchmark confirms Asus Padfone as one of the first Snapdragon S4 devices

ASUS Padfone

Earlier this month we reported that the Asus Padfone would be one of the first devices to feature Qualcomm’s new 28nm Snapdragon S4 processor and today some information from GLBenchmark seems to confirm that. The guys from Netbookitalia.it spotted a benchmark result for the Padfone that reveals the Snapdragon S4 model number MSM8960.

New details listed for the Padfone include a 960 x 540 qHD display, Android 2.3.5, and a max CPU frequency of 918 MHz. We don’t know exactly when this device information was submitted, but the Padfone is rumored to launch around February and we expect it will be upgraded to Android 4.0 by launch.

The max CPU frequency of 918 MHz is a little odd because we know from our recent trip to Qualcomm that the first dual-core Snapdragon S4 devices should debut at speeds up to 1.5 GHz. The device being tested was likely an engineering sample, so that might be the reason for the slower clock speeds.

Hopefully we will receive some hands-on time with the Padfone at CES or Mobile World Congress early next year. I’m interested to see if Asus can really fulfill a demand for both smartphone and tablet users with this hybrid product.

Is anyone out there willing to fork over their money and give this experiment a try?

Via: Notebookitalia.it

Source: GLBenchmark

• charliethesuperturtle

no I want quad core s4

• http://androidandme.com Taylor Wimberly

Sorry Charlie, quad-core S4 is not coming till end of 2012 or early 2013.

• counsel

Great idea but the cellphone companies won’t like it as it reduces a need for additional 3g or greater accounts. I’ll buy though :)

• http://ArtisticAbode.com Arron with two R’s

*side note* I just noticed the ability to get the follow ups/notification when someone responds. Good work Y’all!

• Shane Ledford

Unless they build in some hardware feature that bypasses the WiFi tether in Android with the connection between the tablet and phone, I think you might still need to have a plan with tethering on in, at least in the US.

• http://ArtisticAbode.com Arron with two R’s

When I got my Tbolt, they said I got wifi hotspoting for free. I don’t use their wifi app though. I do it nativly through CM.

• Shane Ledford

ASUS has really impressed me with updates for the Transformer. I would be willing to pick up something like this because I know if there is something that doesn’t work, ASUS will get an update out quickly.

• Ramshambo2001

• Sway_212

• Nathan

Can’t wait to see this and tegra fight it out =-D

• Baron Tankhe

• msgnyc

QC or not, Im all over this.
    I see no reason for me to pay addition data plan for a tab ontop of my phone and tethering just kills my phone battery to fast. Wifi only is to restricting.

Now we’ll have our phone + data plan, docked it into a tab dock with its own battery being run by our phone gaining double the battery life and the advantages of a larger screened table using the same data plan. Win win.

Only thing that could be better would be a transformer styled kb dock to triple our battery life. ;)

• mikeluongo15

• Brian

Android 2.3.5? That’s going to kind of suck on a 10.1″ screen. I figured they’d definitely release with Android 4.0, and have a way to switch back and forth between phone or tablet interfaces.

I have Android 2.3.x on my HP Touchpad tablet and Android 2.x is not great.

• Samar

does ..anybody know how much this thing is gonna cost ?

• Christian Schiffer

I have a Samsung galaxy S2, so in order to make me buy a new one this is what you need to come up with:

Quadcore @ > 1.8 GHZ
    > 4 GB ram
    > 64 GB Storage
    Windows 8 (or other OS capable of both mobile and desktop role, first one one win the OS battle for good)
    5″ Super amoled screen 720p
    > 2000 milliamperes

Bluetooth connectivity for keyboard and mouse

Docking station with additional APU,Ram as well as cabled networking and 5.1 surround
    ___

Now than, in addition it needs to be packaged in titanium, have a breathtaking design “wall to wall” screen then less than 10 mm thick.

____

Now here is the explanation why:

The future of computing is quite different and the battle between Linux and Windows is far from over, a new exiting battle has begun as mobile devices gain the computing power of workstation. My Samsung Galaxy S2 has a dual core 1,2 GHZ processor and 1 Gig of ram, 2012 will bring quad core APU’s with possible 2,5 GHZ pr. core.

So when mobile devices are capable of supporting full size keyboards and screens as well as Handle mobile task for their users and represent full fledged workstation grade operating systems in docked mode a new kind of operating system is needed.

Both Android and Microsoft seam to partially have understood this and ICS and Windows 8 are addressing some of the requirements, but they will either deliver in 2012 or sing their own death sentence.

One thing is for sure the first one to come up with an operating system and Office grade software able to handle both tasks well on both devices has a great advantage over the competition. In addition another extremely important requirement must be met, namely an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) that allows ultra productiveness of developers that is easy to learn and use.

Now there is an other aspect here and that is the architecture of the operating system, as APU architectures pop up faster than the “hmm speed of light” the OS most likely to win this battle will be the one using visualization where the vendor(s) create a small core physically connecting to the hardware delivering an interface for the a OS on top of that core so that they want have to write it all anew every time a new APU architecture arrives.

Therefore APU vendors should include hardware visualization support.

In addition future Smartphones will rely heavily on cloud computing to compensate for what they lack in hardware as well as providing large data store’s accessible from anywhere. That way additional computing power can be leased when needed.

So vendors, bring it or die.

1. no I want quad core s4

2. Sorry Charlie, quad-core S4 is not coming till end of 2012 or early 2013.

3. counselGuest 4 years ago

4. This is the device I am looking forward to. Asus seems to leave well enough alone when it comes to skinning their products. Plus they have a great track record of updating their Transformer, I would expect them to do the same with this product. I like that I can one data plan. That to me is the biggest factor here. I don’t have to be paranoid when I hotspot for my tablet. I never abuse my ability to tether/hotspot, but I hate that I am not able to use my the same amount of data to view on a larger screen. This solves that problem. Now comes the next question…the price.

• Shane LedfordGuest 4 years ago

• Yes, I should have a wifi/tethering plan. How I consider it, is that if I would be using the same data on my phone, I don’t see a difference/problem. I don’t agree with people abusing the privilege. I don’t agree with people using it for Xbox Live, or disconnecting their home service, then hotspotting their whole house. The abuse, in my opinion, is why we now have seperate data plans and tiered data(I am aware these are both to get more money as well).

5. Shane LedfordGuest 4 years ago

6. This is very tempting for me. ASUS has the some of the best support out there and I would be more then willing to update to a phone made by them next year.

7. Not really related to the article but I love the new mobile interface! It’s much better than the last one..great improvement guys!

8. Can’t wait to see this and tegra fight it out =-D

9. You have a manufacturer who does not skin their devices. They probably have the best track record of updating their devices. Now they create a tablet which I can “power” with my phone. One data plan to rule them both. Yeah I would buy this.

10. msgnycGuest 4 years ago

QC or not, Im all over this.

11. if this works out, witch i think it will, every manufacturer will end up doing this with there phones and i cant wait for that to happen. I have sprint not a bad network but doesnt always come out with the best phones, and it will be very nice to see a phone/tablet like this on the sprint network. i will spend my money on this, i cant wait(:

12. BrianGuest 4 years ago

I have Android 2.3.x on my HP Touchpad tablet and Android 2.x is not great.

13. does ..anybody know how much this thing is gonna cost ?

14. Christian SchifferGuest 3 years ago

Quadcore @ > 1.8 GHZ
    > 4 GB ram
    > 64 GB Storage
    5″ Super amoled screen 720p
    > 2000 milliamperes

Bluetooth connectivity for keyboard and mouse

___

____

Now here is the explanation why:

Therefore APU vendors should include hardware visualization support.

So vendors, bring it or die.