Nov 24 AT 8:51 PM Nick Gray 24 Comments

Video: T-Mobile G1 gets its very own Android 4.0 AOSP port

t-Mobile_g1_ics

If you’re into loading custom ROMs on your rooted Android device, I’m pretty sure you’ve been keeping a close eye on the development community, hoping to get an Android 4.0 build for your phone up and running as soon as possible. We’ve already seen a few Android phones get early AOSP ports over the past week, but none of us expected to see Ice Cream Sandwich running on the T-Mobile G1.

Just last month, the HTC T-Mobile G1 celebrated its third birthday, but the development community for the original Android phone is still working hard to keep the phone relevant in a world dominated by dual-core devices. But the Android 4.0 build isn’t quite ready for prime time quite yet. Developers are still trying to enable WiFi, Bluetooth and screen rotation, but we don’t expect these issues to linger for too long.

I’d venture a guess that most G1 devices were retired about a year ago, but there are plenty of you who couldn’t bear selling the device once you upgraded to something new. Are any of you going to spend some time this weekend playing with Android 4.0 on the G1? I know I will.

Source: XDA-Developers

1. When I saw this, I almost cried, my first love still kicking it strong, there’s only one OG. Long live momma G1.

• GiqueGEAR_ToddGuest 3 years ago

Agreed. Not only is my G1 out to pasture, so is my original Droid! Gotta love the classics !

2. This amuses me greatly.

3. Awesome
    It still gets support after 3 years
    Amazing

4. wow this is a great surprise, almost didn’t believe this.

5. Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

6. iHateiPhoneGuest 3 years ago

Not even my G2X can have ICS ported over to it because of stupid LG and Nvidia not open sourcing the Tegra…….such BS now to see (although very happy) an OLLDDDDDD grandpa of a phone handle the power of ICS, even if it is buggy! lol

7. A very enjoyable video. IT WORKS – despite the fact that even relatively new smartphones don’t support Android 4.0. My respect to HTC! A dessert for developers: Some Ice Cream Sandwich, please! http://k-selezneva.blogspot.com/2011/10/dessert-for-developers-some-ice-cream.html

8. So……….why was HTC passed up twice to make the Nexus phones?

9. Custom ROM rules! I hope they manage to create custom ROM to other phones.

10. RockinEvoGuest 3 years ago

Unrelated those amazing fellas (n ladies if any) at xda have a port also for the Evo and defy. Things are looking up

11. I am keeping both of my g1′s stock, for testing reasons, but this really makes me want to see what the Ol’ G1 can do.

12. Pardon my ignorance but do they have an AOSP ROM for the Nexus One yet? At least I know for sure the Nexus One will be able to handle it if the G1 can :-)

13. DreGuest 3 years ago

That is a win

14. I have a G2X, due to nvidia’s lack of open source on the tegra platform… I’ve been playing with a G1 this weekend. fail?

15. I’m saving my G1 for my kids to show their grandchildren. …”and people kept porting the newest Android version to it even though it was dreadfully slow… just because they could!”…

16. seeing this makes me miss my beloved G1