Nov 15 AT 2:23 PM Edgar Cervantes 38 Comments

Hackers crack Apple’s feature of the year; Siri headed to Android soon?

apple-siri-phones

Apple’s device of the year was announced last month. Most were not amazed with the iPhone 4S specs (or design), but the majority of improvements were made to the software. iOS offered many new features for Apple fans. (Which, by the way, are old features for Android fans). Notifications, iCloud and other features made Apple’s new device much better, but one feature was meant to be a “Google Killer.”

Siri is exclusive to the iPhone 4S; not even other iOS 5 devices can take advantage of it (yet). It’s basically meant for voice command and is suppossed to be superior to any other voice command application out there. Or at least they claim, since it’s actually not too impressive when put head to head against Android’s native voice command feature.

Regardless, this is Apple’s secret weapon to take over the smartphone world, and they’ve been protecting it very dearly. Apparently not well enough, though. Paris-based firm Applidium claims to have cracked this open and revealed it to the world. This means any developer can write an application for Android (or any device) and cook Siri’s outstanding functionality into it.

Applidium went through a great deal of trouble to achieve this. Even their “brief” explanation can be confusing at times for most readers. This is mostly due to the fact that Siri runs online. They had to deal with Apple’s servers and see how the device communicates with them. Applidium explains how everything was done in their blog post, and they also offer a collection of tools for understanding the protocol.

Hit the source link to see how the guys from Applidium managed to take Apple’s weapon. If you’re a developer, you might want to work something out for us! We’re sure Apple is not happy about this. They’ll definitely try to block this method every way they can. What do you guys think, though? Do we even want Siri in our Android devices? I know I don’t need it.

Via: Forbes

Source: Applidium

Hello, I am Edgar Cervantes. I am an avid Android fan, and keeping myself updated on the topic is part of my daily life. I will always work hard to give the best of me to our community of Android enthusiasts, and I am very honored to be part of this ship. Hopefully we can all enjoy sharing our knowledge and opinions!

• http://AndroidActivist Julio Duverney

- They can keep it. I think we shall be okay.

However, I think it ‘d be cool to see it functional on some of the newer devices just for shits and giggles.

• http://www.d0wn.com fabien

You still need to have a Iphone 4S unique ID.
    Unless they create a UID générator

• Mfg68

Yeah, let’s see if we can do it, just for the heck of it.

• Aaron

Who cares? We already have Iris in the works.

• charliethesuperturtle

What am I fighting for!!!
      Megaman x partner zero when Iris died

• Rich

Actually all Iris has going for it is the name (Siri backwards). Vlingo has been around for ages and has long since had all the functionality that people are heralding Siri for.

Forget Iris, it’ll just be a disappointment. Get Vlingo and let the Siri lovers know that it is just a copy of something we’ve had for ages.

• rantmo

• guymac

• Nathan

it could be cool, but we do have google talk but I rarely use it though.

• UmNo

“They had to deal with Apple’s servers and break into them, as well.”

Um, no. They did not break in to anything. They set up a proxy server to listen to the traffic between the phone and the server. At no point did they “break in.” They hacked a protocol, not a server.

• WarDrake

i use voice all the time, just because i like talking to my devices.
    and i agree with Duverny up there, having Siri on android would be awesome if only just to spite apple ^_^

• Louis

I don’t really care for Sirri. I was already using my stock android phone to make commands like “call sarpinos pizza”, “send text to…”, call mom”, “play song….” etc etc before sirri ever came to life. If you’re really really lonely with your phone like most iphone people, then I guess you need some form of company like sirri. It be really nice if she can suck your d*&k, then I did care for it.

• shawn

They can keep it, what garbage, i heard about Siri and laughed google voice has been doing he same crap forever now. i can talk instead of type.. anywhere on my phone… who cares about some apple crappy software

• BigCiX

Not interested into talking to a phone.

• http://theandroidappshow.com Lane Montgomery

• MarkT

Talking into phones? By jove, whatever next.

• julius

Thank you! Yes, talking to a device is the most nerdy, cheesy thing you can do. Not saying that techless people will think you re crazy. I’ve seen people using siri in a mall. For Christ sake, stop doing it right now! Voice commands are ok, but there it’s a time for everything. When the feature rush fades, people will be left with same old iPhone 4.5

• AntonioFox

Siri…? Seriously…? I have been using Vlingo for some time now and it works great. So far as Siri being the standout (que dramatic music) “Google Killer” feature I seriously doubt that. Besides, I would never want some apple flavor messing up my pure vanilla Ice Cream sandwich which I shall have soon…

• George

I don’t get it … I’ve had a Nexus One for almost 2 years and I’ve been able to give voice commands the whole time …. what the heck is the rest of the world running?

• Kwills 88

• triangle

• drop

A quick summary :
    - no actual audio processing in performed on the Apple 4S.
    - the voice audio samples are compressed with the open-source low-bitrate codec called Speex, zipped and then sent to Apple’ servers via HTTPS.
    - Apple’ server is doing the actual voice recognition, and send a list of recognized txt words, order with the magnitude of confidence.

So the hardware of the Apple 4S does no magic. And any Android hardware could forge the same request and connect to Apple’ servers.

And a big thank you from Apple to Xiph and the open-source community ! ;P

• http://www.the-wolf.co.uk mabroid

Saying that I’d like to see if they can get it to work

• AsakuraZero

im more looking forward to Zypr even if they call it a copy, looks way more functional and its open source

• http://www.abunailee.narcthatcar.com EmeryLee

• charliethesuperturtle

Don’t need it
    Sirius is sexy enough for me

• charliethesuperturtle
  • Legend

• Queen Laqueefa

Man, Siri sounds like a total bitch anyway. She can stay the hell off my phone.

• nrajesh
  • Rubrewskey

I would rather developers port KITT from Knight Rider.

• http://k-selezneva.blogspot.com/ KatSelezneva

• charliethesuperturtle

I don’t give a shit
    Iris sounds sexier to me!!!

• pritams

want to see the faces of apple blondes…

• aRandomBypasser
  1. Julio DuverneyGuest 3 years ago

- They can keep it. I think we shall be okay.

2. fabienGuest 3 years ago

You still need to have a Iphone 4S unique ID.
    Unless they create a UID générator

3. Mfg68Guest 3 years ago

Yeah, let’s see if we can do it, just for the heck of it.

4. AaronGuest 3 years ago

Who cares? We already have Iris in the works.

• What am I fighting for!!!
      Megaman x partner zero when Iris died

• RichGuest 3 years ago

5. I’ve never used voice functionality ever and I frankly can’t see myself doing so. Of all the Star Fleet technology to bring to life, they’ve picked the least interesting one.

6. Nothing in the blog post indicates they did anything illegal, they most certainly did not “break into” Apple’s servers. It sounds like classic reverse engineering of the protocol. I think you should retract your libelous claim.

7. it could be cool, but we do have google talk but I rarely use it though.

8. UmNoGuest 3 years ago

“They had to deal with Apple’s servers and break into them, as well.”

9. i use voice all the time, just because i like talking to my devices.

10. LouisGuest 3 years ago

11. shawnGuest 3 years ago

12. BigCiXGuest 3 years ago

Not interested into talking to a phone.

13. It would be cool to see some app released to play with it on Android to make my iPhone 4 friends jealous, but beyond that I don’t really think I would use it.

14. Talking into phones? By jove, whatever next.

• juliusGuest 3 years ago

15. AntonioFoxGuest 3 years ago

16. GeorgeGuest 3 years ago

17. I might be offended if someone ported Siri over to android, it could send the wrong message that android users actually think Siri is great and are curious to use it, and be all means, i don’t wanna give iOS fans more ammo to use during an argument between our OS’

18. I’d like to see how apple handles millions of additional android users on Siri. I think Siri would blow up!

19. dropGuest 3 years ago

A quick summary :
    - no actual audio processing in performed on the Apple 4S.

And a big thank you from Apple to Xiph and the open-source community ! ;P

20. Surely this is adding weight to jobs’ argument that Android is a copycat model of iPhone?

Saying that I’d like to see if they can get it to work

21. apple can keep their damn siri, enough hate we have from them to then have they “precious” and “unique” aplication.

22. Blah blah blah. A sophisticated voice recognition assistant is kind of over rated. Handle your business and type your search in or use the myriad number of apps to help you with other stuff. Maybe the number of Force Close instances should be reduced first before focusing on developing a SIRI type of app for Android. People probably won’t use these voice recognition systems that much, unless you are possibly blind or driving, then SIRI would be awesome.

23. Don’t need it
    Sirius is sexy enough for me

24. It’s the stupidest thing when youtubers compare siri to google voice search… I want to punch them all in the face, stupid morons!! >_<

25. Man, Siri sounds like a total bitch anyway. She can stay the hell off my phone.

26. I would rather developers port KITT from Knight Rider.

27. I find voice control cool while using music player on my smartphone. It would be very convenient to switch between songs without taking the phone out from my pocket. But talking to a phone and making it tell you stories like iPhone owners do… I think it’s just weird. I would rather talk to my friends and not to my phone. Even if it is an iPhone. iPhone 4S: the most amazing phone or the greatest disappointment? http://k-selezneva.blogspot.com/2011/10/iphone-4s-most-amazing-phone-or.html

28. I don’t give a shit
    Iris sounds sexier to me!!!

29. want to see the faces of apple blondes…