Feb 22 AT 9:36 AM Taylor Wimberly 60 Comments

Verizon experiencing another nationwide 4G LTE outage

SNL parody of Verizon 4G LTE ad

Of course Verizon would have another nationwide outage the day after I gave them a glowing endorsement. This morning we started receiving multiple reports from all over that users were experiencing problems with their Verizon 4G LTE data connection. This problem was confirmed by VZBuzz who received a tip from a network technician that failures were occuring.

Verizon has recently reported some growing pains as they add more devices to their expanding 4G LTE network. Recent downtimes include December 7th and December 28th.

Hopefully, service will be restored by the time you read this. In the last couple of Verizon outages, technicians had the issue resolved in a couple hours. Also, in previous outages, customers who complained to customer service received a small credit on their monthly bill.

We will update this story when we receive word that service is back to normal.

Update: Verizon says via Twitter that they are investigating the issue.

Update 2: Verizon says service has been restored.

Via: VZBuzz

Source: Twitter

• http://www.mlswanson.com SparkyXI

Having intermittent issues with data connectivity in Minneapolis/St Paul MN.

• Brent

Mine just popped back on in Minneapolis. We’ll see if it stays

• Paul Jamieson

Hell who cares !! I just want to watch the SNL Verizon digital short again !! lol

• mac08wrx

Hahahahahaha

• LukeT32

• teecruz

Mine is fine! still works.

• teecruz

dang it. I spoke too soon..

• Jorge Vieira

Lol me to, yeah my Google music keeps dropping even when on 3g only.

• teecruz

Same! It’s back though!
          I Left the house and received 4G signal! :)
          ¾ Bars!

• spazby

• Jim

No 3g or 4G here in Nashville

GRR!!!!!! I just wiped my phone thinking it was ROM related issue. That’s what I get for not checking twitter “#Verizon” first
    /doh

• http://ArtisticAbode.com BetterWithRoot

Same thing happened to me on the last outages. I was flashing different radios and everything.

• Syboxez

I’m reading this article on a fully working LTE connection.

• Starship

I’m in Chicago. No outage here, posting from my nexus.

• LukeT32

Was out for me in Schaumberg.

• Staple

no 3G or 4g in Cleveland

• Smite

On 1X in Oklahoma City.

• phrir1

no 3g or 4g in So Cal. either

• scott

Spotty at best with my coverage.. north of detroit.

• thelope

No 3g or 4g in Manhattan -

• Stephen

Outage is in west states. Colorado, Arizona and out west coast states.

• hyperthreader

Out in Pittsburgh too for at least the past hour. 3G started coming and going a few mins ago. Last time this happened, VZW refunded one month’s data charge if you called *611.

• rocktoonz

• Liz42

You can add NY to that list.

• http://ArtisticAbode.com BetterWithRoot

IA is 3g here

• 4G LTE is down in Southern California, South Orange County

The frequency of these 4G outages seems to be increasing. To make matters worse, the phones have a hard time switching to 3G automatically, requiring a reboot. Come on Verizon, please implement some quality assurance programs for your 4G network!

• Mike

Btw, this outage is in Southern California, South Orange County.

• Mike

4G is still down here in SoCal…about an hour and a half since I first noticed it.

• djembeman

True that you have to switch to 3G only, but depending on your phone, you do NOT have to reboot. All you have to do is go into settings and choose CDMA only mode. This is how it works with my Bionic in Colorado Springs.

• SoFarSoGood

Outage in Salt Lake City. I can get 3G and make calls but 4G still down.

• TheTruthSquad

Help, I can’t leave my house because I will lose WIFI.

• raiderpig

No 4g in Montgomery, AL for me. But my buddy has his intermittently.

• Max.Steel

T-Mobile is up and running smoothly. :)

• Shannon

Not getting any coverage in TX.

• Hue Three of Five

I got 3g in Upstate NY.

On a side note go watch the movie Hot Rod. Bill Hader, Andy Samberg, Danny McBride…best movie ever!

• Luciano

No 3g/4g on Chicago Northwest suburbs

• Scott

In Chicago, no 3G or 4G!!!

• Dan

Anyone know if these frequent outages would allow you to drop your contract without an early termination fee?

• http://ArtisticAbode.com BetterWithRoot

I don’t think they would allow you to drop your contract, but you may get a refund if you complain.

• fletchtb

I would rather have 4G LTE with occassional problems than be stuck in 3G land. I keep hoping we will be one of the next markets to be blessed with this sometimes unreliable service.

• Jon Shiflett

Up and Down all morning so far in Lansing, MI

• tim

Service off and on all morning in Chicago. More off than on.

Verizon, the service you can’t depend on for business.

• DragonPhyre

• Nathan D.

wow hopefully this will stop happening

• http://www.jimtravis.com jimtravis

• can you hear me n…

Largest 4G network…too bad they can’t keep it working. I’ll stick with tmobile. May be slower at times, but I couldn’t tell you the last time I had an outage.

• thekaz

Did I hear this was fixed in 4.0.4 (4.0.5?) which has not officially been pushed out to VZW customers?

• Arturo Castro

Another reason why switching to an only 4g network is a bad idea verizon.

• Donald Williams

Hope this gets resolved soon I dont want to hear it from the people at work who dont have coverage.

• mikef3j

• mikef3j

Wow, no sooner than I sent the last post I seem to now have 3G service.

• Graham

Went out at about 7:50am central, Mobile, Alabama. Everyone at work is reporting issues too. (We have 3g vzw repeaters in building to). 3G and 4G has been down. We are all on 1X with some of us getting 4G but will drop as soon as its back. Razr Maxx and GNex.

• socal guy

4g down in socal and 3g fades in and out

• Joel

Funny enough your endorsement had my wife and I up late last night talking about switching from Metropcs to Verizon. Pretty dramatic movement, I know – but we’d love the change in phones and service. It also means a monthly bill about $90 more (VERY DISCOURAGING) – as well as becoming ‘limited’ in data and minutes…Although this incident didnt completely turn me off…those other things do.

Question: How do you guys truly enjoy your phones with limited data and constantly renewing your contracts?

• TGeezy86

I’ve got T-mobile, and while they may not be the best in terms of geographic coverage, where they do have coverage the network is rock solid and just as fast as LTE. As an added bonus, for $90/month I get 10GB of data with free mobile hotspot and unlimited voice/text. Verizon and At&t have a wonderful nickle-and-dime policy

• Ken

I have a galaxy nexus and lost 4g this morning in Columbus. When I lose 4g I also lose 3g. Very aggravating. My wife has a 3g only phone and she didn’t lose her signal.

• UMA Fan

Getting a solid 16mbps down here…. Oh wait, that’s on my Amaze 4G on T-Mobile

• drozes

In San Diego have 3 bars of 4G

• Brandon Golway

No problems with 4G in Central Jersey (New Brunswick).

• djembeman

My 4G was out this morning, but when I switched back to 4G/LTE mode at about noon it came back. Every time we have had a 4G outage in Colorado Springs I’ve had to manually switch to CDMA Only mode (3G) and have never been without at least 3G. My 4G speeds in certain locations today seemed faster when it came back.

1. Having intermittent issues with data connectivity in Minneapolis/St Paul MN.

• BrentGuest 3 years ago

Mine just popped back on in Minneapolis. We’ll see if it stays

• Same thing in Chicago. Thought it was just the part of town I was in… I lost 3g also.

2. Mine is fine! still works.

3. Nothing but troubles for otherwise trusty verizon recently. hopefully they will fix it soon

4. JimGuest 3 years ago

No 3g or 4G here in Nashville

/doh

5. SyboxezGuest 3 years ago

I’m reading this article on a fully working LTE connection.

6. I’m in Chicago. No outage here, posting from my nexus.

7. StapleGuest 3 years ago

no 3G or 4g in Cleveland

8. SmiteGuest 3 years ago

On 1X in Oklahoma City.

9. phrir1Guest 3 years ago

no 3g or 4g in So Cal. either

10. scottGuest 3 years ago

Spotty at best with my coverage.. north of detroit.

11. thelopeGuest 3 years ago

No 3g or 4g in Manhattan -

12. StephenGuest 3 years ago

Outage is in west states. Colorado, Arizona and out west coast states.

13. hyperthreaderGuest 3 years ago

14. Customers are reporting that, beginning this morning, 3G & 4G data is not working, however, voice & text are working. Reported impacted states include GA, AZ, VA, CA, NJ, NM, NC, FL, OH, TN.

15. 4G LTE is down in Southern California, South Orange CountyGuest 3 years ago

• MikeGuest 3 years ago

Btw, this outage is in Southern California, South Orange County.

• MikeGuest 3 years ago

• djembemanGuest 3 years ago

16. SoFarSoGoodGuest 3 years ago

Outage in Salt Lake City. I can get 3G and make calls but 4G still down.

17. TheTruthSquadGuest 3 years ago

Help, I can’t leave my house because I will lose WIFI.

18. raiderpigGuest 3 years ago

No 4g in Montgomery, AL for me. But my buddy has his intermittently.

19. T-Mobile is up and running smoothly. :)

20. ShannonGuest 3 years ago

Not getting any coverage in TX.

21. I got 3g in Upstate NY.

22. LucianoGuest 3 years ago

No 3g/4g on Chicago Northwest suburbs

23. ScottGuest 3 years ago

In Chicago, no 3G or 4G!!!

24. DanGuest 3 years ago

25. Luckily me and my Galaxy Nexus are not impacted in Burlington, Vermont. Unfortunately, it’s because we don’t even have 4G LTE service yet.

26. Up and Down all morning so far in Lansing, MI

27. timGuest 3 years ago

Service off and on all morning in Chicago. More off than on.

Verizon, the service you can’t depend on for business.

28. Fully down in Cleveland Ohio. No data connectivity at all. Definitely calling about this one this time… I’m not one to complain about networks going down (nature of wireless, after all–signal dropout is going to happen) but having both networks go down is pretty bad.

29. wow hopefully this will stop happening

30. Am very happy with 4G LTE speeds on Galaxy Nexus in Boston, MA that I regularly experience, not too happy about the increased frequency of outages. Confident Verizon will solve the problem.

31. can you hear me n...Guest 3 years ago

32. Mine has been back in CT for a while.. what is annoying, however, is with my GNEX (and a coworkers), it seems to not “fail over” correctly to 3G (even setting my network to CMDA only), however, coworkers with 3G only phones have no issue.

33. Another reason why switching to an only 4g network is a bad idea verizon.

34. WOW.. Lots of outages. Good thing Im with Tmo. They may not be the best in coverage (4g), releasing phones or now in customer service but I have not had any issues here in Phoenix like this.

35. Southern California (Costa Mesa) is down. Noticed this at about 6:30 this morning.

36. Wow, no sooner than I sent the last post I seem to now have 3G service.

37. GrahamGuest 3 years ago

38. socal guyGuest 3 years ago

4g down in socal and 3g fades in and out

39. “Of course Verizon would have another nationwide outage the day after I gave them a glowing endorsement.”

• TGeezy86Guest 3 years ago

40. KenGuest 3 years ago

41. UMA FanGuest 3 years ago

Getting a solid 16mbps down here…. Oh wait, that’s on my Amaze 4G on T-Mobile

42. drozesGuest 3 years ago

In San Diego have 3 bars of 4G

43. Brandon GolwayGuest 3 years ago

No problems with 4G in Central Jersey (New Brunswick).

44. djembemanGuest 3 years ago