Feb 20 AT 10:38 AM Nick Gray 51 Comments

A closer look at Motorola’s Android 4.0.3 build for the Verizon DROID RAZR

motorola_android_4_razr

Today we’re getting a second look at the Android 4.0.3 update for Verizon’s Motorola DROID RAZR. The new leaked images show off the detail of Motorola’s new UI which is a much needed improvement over the most recent versions of MotoBLUR.

As you can tell from the images, Motorola has done a full reset with Android 4.0, removing most of their custom skin and allowing the Android 4.0 Holo theme to shine through a bit. The only real customization that Motorola has done to the home screen and the app launcher is swap out the stock Android 4.0 application icons with their own and add functionality to the app launcher which allows users to sort their applications by various groups.

Diving deeper into the OS, you will find that Motorola’s customization of Android 4.0 gets a little heavier. The dialer, camera, lock screen and settings all bear the classic MotoBLUR look while pulling in a bit of Ice Cream Sandwich styling.

razr_ics_notifications_dropdown razr_ics_widgets_drawer razr-leak1 razr-leak2 razr-leak3 razr-leak4 razr-leak5 razr-leak6 razr-leak7 razr-leak8 razr-leak9 razr-leak10 razr-leak11 razr-leak12 motorola_android_4_razr

According to the official Motorola Android 4.0 update list, the Verizon DROID RAZR update eligibility is still “under evaluation” while the international version of the phone is scheduled to receive its update in Q2 of this year. We have a feeling that Motorola is planning on giving Verizon’s DROID RAZR owners a taste of Ice Cream Sandwich in Q1 and maybe even beating HTC in becoming the first OEM to push out an Android 4.0 update. We’ll have to wait and see how this plays out.

What do you think of the Android 4.0.3 build for the Verizon Motorola DROID RAZR? Is Motorola on the right track with the latest version of MotoBLUR or do you prefer HTC’s approach to Android 4.0 with HTC Sense 4.0?

Via: DROID Life

Source: DROID RZR

• fulaman

Looks good to me, I’m glad that they’re leaving it mainly stock.

• Jeff Pan

I should say a much refined version than what we saw before.

We know for sure that MotoBlur is gonna be there for sure. Given that fact, I think we is the best we could have hoped for!

• KRS_Won

• spazby

Better than before but I still am not a fan…

• AsakuraZero

and i like it looks like stock, but different, it even made me to see my own launcher on my gs2 cm9 lol its the google influence in motorola… we can see it now its hardcore

• Gabe

This looks alot better than what Samsung is doing with updating touchwiz with ICS.
    Great job Moto!

• amgala

• E

Nice MOTO blur was the only thing that would kill it for me I might make the jump if HTC dissapoints

• txbluesman

• http://www.healthytiger.com Healthy

• James Woods

Possibly Google Drive? Though probably doesn’t make sense for it to be that!!

• James Woods

Actually, there’s no Gmail app in the Google apps folder. Maybe whoever took the screen shots blacked it out to stir the pot a bit!

• KRS_Won

The only current Google app that would fit would be Google Earth. (alphabetically listed)

• EolianPipes

• http://Note Uncemister

• http://htcsource.com Nick Gray

• http://Note Uncemister

Actually I had no idea, what are some of the workarounds?

• Joshua

I’m glad Moto went this way… This is a lot better.

• ArticulateFool

These non-vanilla Android versions should focus primarily on increasing functionality for the user instead of making their phone feel like it’s running a completely different OS.

• jonathan3579

• cwjones4

agreed. in my opinion that’s the worst part of the custom skins…way too resource intensive.

• eallan

The camera interface looks horrible.

• delinear

• Billy

• Oskar Wismierski

This is what a custom UI should look like..

• http://Note Uncemister

• http://htcsource.com Nick Gray

• KRS_Won

The Maxx has been a welcome upgrade since my X2, mainly the 4G and battery life.

• BiGMERF

looks a lot better than senswich.. thats for sure

• Jorge Vieira

• Alexander drzfr3shboialex

it looks better than what it looked like before

• Richard Yarrell

Actually this isn’t too bad. Not looking bad at all. Great for moto fans.

• Hall Lo

• KRS_Won

We’re coming along so far as a community….
    -no only if it unlocks the bootloader comments
    -no trolling about should buy a nexus instead or which UI is > Blur
    …just happy comments relevant from owners.

• http://Note Uncemister

I know right!? Thoughtful, mature comments. What a concept!

• aranea

• Shawn Clark

Great Job Moto!

• Paydrow

Looks like Motorola “Got it”. Hopefully it performs great as well.

• cola

• gregg

Seriously. That ui is completely and utterly revolting. Whose idea was it to take ics and murder a perfectly fine ui.. just to say you can or that you are giving your users a choice? I just don’t get it. Oh way i have an idea.. i will randomly insert my crappy icons instead of the stock ones because the users cannot tell what the stock ones mean.. plus i will take my less than artist skills (insert 2 year old level experience here.. way that’s an insult to 2 year olds..sorry ya little devils) and completely redesign other parts of a perfectly fine interface because “it needs customization”.. . It’s because of this “added value” phone manufacturers and carrier provide that will continue to hinder android’s ability to provide a consistent user experience. I am all for innovation and customization when it has a purpose but enough already..

• http://htcsource.com Nick Gray

Do I think they can do a better job? Certainly! But is Motorola and all the other OEMs stopped customizing, we’d all be complaining that all the phones were bland clones.

• gregg

Yeah i don’t disagree with you. I would rather they provide better hardware.

• Good_Ole_Pinocchio

• nippi

it looks gud to me …thats the way u shud design an update ….a perfect mix of moto skin and 4.0……really amazing…..sammy shud learn something

• http://htcsource.com Nick Gray

My guess is that Samsung will be changing things up with the SGSIII when it’s unveiled later this year, but phones getting updated will have the same look and feel as before.

• KRS_Won

• donger

looks freaking sweet.

• Jamie Strawder

And when is the Razr going to be able to get the 4.0 update???? These stupid companies need to stop playing their games and get the updates out. Why do I have to wait so long for something that is supposed to be better than before? This might be a good reason to get an iPhone.

• nipunmehta7

It wasn’t that close

1. fulamanGuest 3 years ago

Looks good to me, I’m glad that they’re leaving it mainly stock.

• I should say a much refined version than what we saw before.

• I think Moto is starting to focus Blur more on MotoCast and Smart Actions (which are great.) The Only NinjaBlur I could do without is not being able to go to My Gallery without social pictures, other than that, I think it enhances some features.

2. Better than before but I still am not a fan…

• its better WAY batter than samsung and HTC combined, atleast you know its android 4.0 not some sort of combination of ICS with gingerbread.

3. GabeGuest 3 years ago

Great job Moto!

4. I have to admit, it looks pretty sharp. It would be a great OPTION to stock ICS. If only it were an option on Moto phones instead of compulsory!

5. EGuest 3 years ago

6. A little tool much still. I would still like to see ICS come to my Nexus S 4g first. Maybe I am just a little jealous of all the talks of other phones getting updates too. Lol!

7. anyone else curious of which google app is blacked out on that folder view? i don’t think any google icon is specifically personally identifying, am i wrong? any ideas?

8. Does the actual call screen make the image of the caller really small? One of the huge points of ICS was to have “high-res” pictures when making or receiving a call.

• Yeah I noticed that too. I really hope it doesn’t stay small like that its one of the features I was looking forward to the most!

• Don’t forget that you’re stuck with low resolution images if you sync your contacts from your Gmail account. There are a few workarounds, but every time you pull contacts down from Gmail, it changes the size and simply stretches the image. It’s funny how the Gmail team and the Android team didn’t think of that.

9. JoshuaGuest 3 years ago

I’m glad Moto went this way… This is a lot better.

10. Good decision on Motorola’s part in keeping the stock look of ics mostly intact.

11. The worst part of this skin is their icons. Other than that, it isn’t that bad. Hopefully it is light on resources.

12. The camera interface looks horrible.

13. I like the additional sort filter on the app folder. I guess this backs up the article from last week that custom UI isn’t always bad as it often gives us nice new features. I’m with the others on here, though – it would be better as an option.

14. It looks pretty good. Still wish the would provide a stock ICS option …. At this rate they may get upgraded before my GNex … lol.

15. This is what a custom UI should look like..

16. Everything looks awesome except for the tiny caller ID icon in the call screen. That was one of the awesome features for ICS, having a high Res full screen pic. (Finally) that’ll be really dissapointing if it stays small. Other than that moto is finally heading in the right direction. Now lets push it out soon! Lol

17. I like that Moto is keeping it simple, but they need to fire their in-house graphics guys. Those icons look like they are for a toy phone and the graphics for the dialer are even worse. Does anyone think Moto can beat HTC or Samsung and deliver Android 4.0 to the RAZR before the end of March?

• That would be killer. Maybe that is why Moto left all Verizon phones listed as Under Evaluation and Development. We can only hope. Moto’s broad announcement puts ICS anywhere from February to June.

18. looks a lot better than senswich.. thats for sure

19. I like it I think lotto has an edge over HTC, Samsung has the best functionality out of all the skins still. But def a step in the right direction.

20. it looks better than what it looked like before

21. Actually this isn’t too bad. Not looking bad at all. Great for moto fans.

22. This is much better than my expectation! Now it looks even better than the HTC Sense 4.0 to me, just because it doesn’t have too much customizations to hide the beauty of ICS :D

23. We’re coming along so far as a community….
    -no only if it unlocks the bootloader comments
    -no trolling about should buy a nexus instead or which UI is > Blur
    …just happy comments relevant from owners.

24. Whatever they do they should do it quick. So the less customization the better for me.

25. Looks like Motorola “Got it”. Hopefully it performs great as well.

26. Wow, these screen shots make me pretty excited for ICS on my Razr. I hope it’s sooner rather than later.

27. greggGuest 3 years ago

• I’m not a huge fan of what Moto has done with Android 4.0, but you have to remember that each OEM needs to show that their devices are different than the competition. They all use the same processors, screens and other internal components. All they really have to work with is the software to show that their products are different.

28. Loving the mostly stock look and couple that with Motos breakthrough with battery life and my next phone my be a Moto… Helloooo (Again) Moto!

29. nippiGuest 3 years ago

• The Samsung Android 4.0 update looks nearly identical to Android 2.3 right now. Yes, they have a lot of the new features in place, but they didn’t adapt and of the new UI elements. Then again, neither has HTC.

30. I don’t won’t to lose My Favorites in the phone “app.” I find this the easiest when calling people, don’t really like people icons on one of my home screens, haha.

31. looks freaking sweet.

32. Jamie StrawderGuest 3 years ago