Feb 22 AT 6:03 PM Taylor Wimberly 35 Comments

Asus teases Padfone, hints at phone, tablet dock, and keyboard accessory

ASUS Padfone

When Asus announced the Padfone last year, many of us questioned the success of such an odd device. Who wants a phone that plugs into a tablet-sized display? Then Asus released their Transformer series of tablets with attachable keyboard docks and people saw the advantages of their modular design.

Asus went back to the drawing board and will unveil a newly redesigned Padfone at Mobile World Congress this weekend. The major change to the original concept is supposed to be the addition of a keyboard dock, similar to the Transformer. The concept design that Asus showed at CES actually worked with the original TF101 keyboard dock, but the new Padfone is expected to be compatible with the TF201 dock from the Transformer Prime.

This three piece combo was hinted at in a new teaser video released by Asus. The quick clip shows a set of matryoshka dolls with a message that reads, “1 + 1 + 1 = Endless Possibilities.”

I’m a huge fan of the Transformer Prime, so if Asus can improve the user experience even further then I think they could have a hit on their hands. Not many US carriers have ever carried Asus smartphones, so it remains to be seen if we will ever see the Padfone on our shores.

How many of you would be interested in a phone + tablet + keyboard trio?

Source: YouTube

• Alexander drzfr3shboialex

• spazby

• mac08wrx

• Robert

Have you heard of the Atrix 4G? AT&T requires a tethering plan to use your phone in the laptop dock… Makes no sense, in addition the laptop dock was over $300 bucks extra. Great idea bad execution. Of course root can fix the tethering problem….

• M3rc Nate

• M3rc Nate

• zerosix

You want them to show all their devices for several next years?
        Just let them tease you:)

• M3rc Nate

Also, they saw they were a bit behind on current gen specs (resolution and camera MP) so they teased a 700T, and its been months since then with no word…im sorry but its not like im waiting for the next years Transformer Prime…i wanted one back when it first came out…basically was told dont buy that one , its flawed, something new is coming thats better soon, and well its soon already and we havent heard a peep.

• Wayne Burman

@M3rc Nate
            Mate, there is nothing wrong with the Prime. I heard ther reports about wifi and gps and was a bit worried, but in the end I took the plunge because retailers in Australia are very good about taking returns. I got it about 5 weeks ago and tested it and it is absolutely fine. Good wifi, good gps, fast, no lag, easy multitasking and very pretty. Go get one, you wont be dissappointed. Cheers.

• Owain

Just want a Nexus equivalent, hopefully no patents will get in the way!

• Oskar Wismierski

• sunrise

Asus should just make a really really really good Android phone with stock ICS to rival the Galaxy Nexus.

• zen

why should it work separately? thats just the existing products out there!
      this is a great idea and i cant wait to see how it works out

• Vance

<~ this guy

• cwjones4

this device has awesome potential. can’t wait to find out more at MWC!

• aranea

• zen

• aranea

• Slith

I like the idea. All my spreadsheets need all the room I can get.

• Owain

This could be a real unique selling point for Android devices, Apple et al would never sacrifice sales (of full on tablet) and go for anything like this.

If this does work with Keyboard dock I’m sold.

• mustybooks

I like the fact it should cut down on cost for the consumer too.

Asus are having some great ideas and implementing well with the two transformers we’ve seen.

Also is everything going to have a separate battery? With S4 cpu what is the battery life on this thing going to be? Over 24 hours?! Insanity!

• honourbound68

• Sergio

omg, i was so excited when it showed last year, there is only room to keep getting better right? btw i didnt know the dude that created Androidandme lives in Dallas. Rock on Texas

• OmahaDZL

After seeing the Ubuntu articles today, this is EXACTLY what I was thinking would be my next computer…and then I read this article that they are doing it. I use my laptop exclusively while on my couch as it sits on the arm, but having a tablet wouldnt be bad…however, they arent of much use without connectivity.other than watching a movie or something….To me, thats the combination that will integrate everything… a true PC OS integrated with Android and the convertible hardware design

• Wayne Burman

Neat idea, but I think I prefer mine separate. It wont be for everyone, but I am sure there will be plenty of takers. One thing is certain if the Prime is anything to go by, it wont be cheap.

• TiNNiT

Hmmm….and what do you do when someone calls? Put this thing against your head?

• mustybooks

From the demos I’ve seen the phone is really easy to remove from the dock.

• Kaote

• http://www.infotainmentempire.com pekosROB

Either way, color me intrigued.

• Ben 1.0

This looks to be a very interesting and (for now) unique prospect. I’m looking forward to finding out more details.

• Hall Lo

Interesting idea… let’s see how ASUS managed to make them work together :)

• Michelle Clark

I just came a little… OMG! I WANT THIS!

I would so utilize this! Bring it to the USA! Please?!

BTW Asus..I love my Prime!

• Siantechnology

• Techiecop

There’s also an impressive 8-megapixel photo snapper on the back, which features autofocus and LED flash, and a secondary VGA front-facing camera for video-calls.

1. If the rumor that was going around a while ago that they choose s4 over tegra 3, then I think it will come to T-mobile. If it does and has stock 4.0/minor UI changes, it will be mine :)

2. Sounds really good, sprint carry them both and have a shared data, unlimited of course…

• I would love it on sprint. And if is a tablet dock that only works with the phone attached then there is no need for the shared data right?

• RobertGuest 3 years ago

3. Honestly i dont care…im tired of waiting for news of the T-Prime. Hurry up Asus and release details about the 700T, the 302, etc. I want prices, release dates, i want everything. I should not be wanting a product so bad and be waiting for months and months to give them MY money…my money is here waiting Asus…why are you being so slow to take it? Just give me the 700T release date and price.

• So people disagree with me i take it then? They dont want the 700T or 302 to come out? They want to be kept in the dark? lol

• You want them to show all their devices for several next years?
        Just let them tease you:)

• No, not all their devices, and not the next several years. The Transformer Prime was supposed to be epic and it came out months ago. It was flawed, enough that they go and make a TF302.

• Wayne BurmanGuest 3 years ago

@M3rc Nate

4. OwainGuest 3 years ago

Just want a Nexus equivalent, hopefully no patents will get in the way!

5. Love the idea :P hope it works out. I mean the transformer is a hit right? Why shouldn’t this be?

6. If it could also function as a tablet and phone SEPARATELY that would be awesome, but I don’t like the idea of having to always insert the phone to use the tablet part. I don’t know, then again I guess it wouldn’t be a Padfone :)

• why should it work separately? thats just the existing products out there!
      this is a great idea and i cant wait to see how it works out

7. this device has awesome potential. can’t wait to find out more at MWC!

8. I don’t want to give up my phone every time I use a tablet. I think integration over wireless communication is a better way to go.

• who says you will? what if it accepts calls like the phone? it will just be a bigger samsung note

• It probably will but I have seen my friend talking over skype on an ipad and it looks funny with the huge thing in his hands. Of course you can use headphones but what if they aren’t plugged in at that moment. In the end I think it’s a good way forward and will open new innovations. It’s probably just not for me in this current iteration.

9. I like the idea. All my spreadsheets need all the room I can get.

10. OwainGuest 3 years ago

If this does work with Keyboard dock I’m sold.

11. Wow everything on one device. Can’t wait to see how they pull off the phone to tablet “transformation” whether it will just be a larger phone or have more differentiation.

I like the fact it should cut down on cost for the consumer too.

12. this is going to be really interesting. i hope they sell the padphone w/the tablet together. the 1+1+1 is better than the atrix dock combination.

13. SergioGuest 3 years ago

14. OmahaDZLGuest 3 years ago

15. Wayne BurmanGuest 3 years ago

16. TiNNiTGuest 3 years ago

Hmmm….and what do you do when someone calls? Put this thing against your head?

17. Not interested in the doc,k OG transformer is fine for me, but really want that phone.

18. The best thing about the combination of the phone and tablet is the luxury of having 3G/4G LTE on your tablet without paying an extra bill (assuming the phone’s modem can be utilized by the tablet of course). If the tablet ran without the phone but the phone could get its batteries charged by the tablet and provide internet access while plugged in would be pretty cool. It wouldn’t be as awesome if the tablet is completely useless and comes to life only after being docked with the phone.

Either way, color me intrigued.

19. Ben 1.0Guest 3 years ago

20. Interesting idea… let’s see how ASUS managed to make them work together :)

21. Michelle ClarkGuest 3 years ago

I just came a little… OMG! I WANT THIS!

I would so utilize this! Bring it to the USA! Please?!

BTW Asus..I love my Prime!

22. I think its a good piece of innovation. 3in1 with LTE, cheaper and than having phone and tablet separate.

23. TechiecopGuest 3 years ago