Jun 19 AT 9:26 AM Anthony Domanico 21 Comments

LG to focus more on smartphones, less on tablets

LG Optimus Pad LTE_top side[20120118084441799]

Recognizing their lack of success in the tablet market, LG has announced that they’re putting tablet development on the backburner, and will instead focus their efforts on smartphones, a company spokesperson told Bloomberg. LG had introduced the Optimus Pad LTE earlier this year, which failed to gain traction in an ever-crowded tablet market dominated by Apple’s iPad. The move is indicative of struggles Android tablet makers are having gaining traction in the tablet market.

LG will focus its efforts over coming months on developing high-quality smartphones running the Android platform, which in my opinion is a good move for the company. While LG makes stellar TVs and home appliances, their previous Android smartphones have left much to be desired. It’s a shame really, as LG is fully-capable of making high-quality products that would rival the likes of the HTC One X and Samsung Galaxy S III, but their implementations thus far have been subpar. Perhaps with a refocusing on smartphones, LG will emerge as a strong competitor in the Android smartphone market.

Time will tell whether LG’s move away from tablets will be beneficial for them. The tablet market is expected to grow exponentially over the next few years.

Via: The Verge

Source: Bloomberg

Anthony loves all things technology, from hardware to apps and games. You can connect with him via Google+ or Twitter by clicking one of the fancy doo-dads above.

• http://www.jaxidian.org/update/ jaxidian

LG made tablets??

• http://facebook.com/jestertx2001 Jesse Moreno

Dang you you took my line.

• hinds

Lg makes mind bogglingly crappy smart phones!

• snowbdr89

I didn’t know LG made tablets.

• redraider133

• rantmo

• OnIn2

I suspect existing G2x owners will abandon LG

• rantmo

I cannot imagine anyone doing otherwise. Such a heartbreak and frustration.

• Steven Seagal

It’s kind of a testament to how well they’re doing that you can only really unlock the G2X/O2X’s potential if you get a custom ROM for it. The software it comes with is a buggy piece of crap, and LG apparently schedules updates once every lunar eclipse. The phone in terms of hardware is really good, but I won’t be buying LG again.

• OnIn2

Last I looked CM9 wasn’t released for G2x

• Steven Seagal

There are plenty of fully-featured, stable ROMs out there, especially for the G2X/O2X. Have a look at XDA Developers. They’re usually a lot smoother than the stock software, come with new features and, most importantly, boost battery life significantly. I’m using a MIUI ROM (because MIUI looks amazing and is super-smooth), but the choices are virtually endless.

Looking at the XDA forum for the G2X, I can see there’s a CM9/ICS rom released, so there you go. BUT any CM9 software for O2X/G2X might be unstable at the moment because Nvidia haven’t released the source code for Tegra 2 yet, which means that hardware acceleration on those ROMs rely on hacks. So I’d advise sticking to CM7 for now.

It kind of says something about LG (and other companies) when the dev community, who ultimately don’t do this as their day job, are able to make generally better ROMs. But you have to remember there’s less incentive for them to update older devices, because they want you to buy their new ones. But I’m not going to buy their new ones if I’ve had a shitty experience with the one I already have.

• http://www.focuszonedevelopment.com Homncruse

• Ralph

Where’s my freaking G-Slate ICS update?!?!?!?!?! just burn your stupid company to ashes… you’re worthless anyways and burn your piece of crap customer support with it.

• BigCiX

• Bob Saget

Agreed. Top notch hardware but buggy software and slow updates. The G4X looks promising though…Best display tech around, high end components and launching with ICS. I’d slap a custom ROM on anyway so software is less important to me but it does look much improved.

• droilfade

• Max.Steel

• steve

The reason android tablet makers are struggling is two-fold. First, they skimp where it counts and embellish where it doesnt make sense. What I mean is, the screen resolutions and pixel density available on all android tablets (except maybe the Transformer Prime and Transformer Infinity) are pitiful. Also, the speakers on ALL android tablets are pathetic. My friends iPad sounds awesome and has great adequate volume. My Prime just plain sucks in that department. The idiot who thought it was ok to install 2 speakers (yes, the prime has 2 speakers under that single grill) right next to each other instead of on opposite sides of the tablet should be fired, and the executive who signed off on it should be tarred and feathered. It is absolutely crazy that these manufacturers think consumers want to spend big money on products that are behind the curve in features that matter. Secondly, they embellish on items that really have no business being on a tablet. Rear facing camers are just plain dumb. Yes, I get it that people do use their tablets to take pictures, but only because they were given the option to do so. If manufacturers had placed those awesome camers on the front for skype that would have made sense (although I’m sure HD cameras would provide too much detail to be sent smoothly over Wi-Fi). Also, its much easier to record video from the front of the tablet because you can have a small window that shows what you are recording. Makes it much easier to be in front of the camera and know what you are focused on without having to turn the tablet around. And lastly, the Apps. It is absolutely criminal that here we are… 6 months to a year into the Android tablet experience and the apps that are available either do not port well to the tablet or are just lame stretches of the same old phone app. Android app developers have a legitimate issue because it is daunting to have to design an app that works on all of the current technology (meaning screen sizes and the stupid manufacturer UI’s added to stock Android). So, the only way to move forward here is to have Google recognize the damage being done to its reputation with all this fragmentation and decide that it really will benefit them to maybe “close” the source a little. What I mean by that is…. Google needs to dictate to the manufacturers 1. Screen size 2. Screen resolution 3. Pixel density 4. Minimum processor speed 5. minimum ram requirements…. and above all else 6. No specializations or customizations to the UI. Until these steps are taken, app developers will not dedicate the time and resources needed to actually compete with Apple apps which will continue to leave these beautiful (mostly) tablets sitting there waiting for something to actually do.

• BigCiX

I agree with you. Google has no chance against apple in the tablet market.

1. hindsGuest 3 years ago

Lg makes mind bogglingly crappy smart phones!

2. snowbdr89Guest 3 years ago

I didn’t know LG made tablets.

3. Good decision on lgs part. Focus on making your phones better and work on updates.

4. I sure wish they’d put some focus on updating their phones to ICS or at the very least getting the G2x to run more smoothly.

5. Stella ….the G2x could have been a contender! Instead it’s just withered on the vine apparently abandoned by LG.

I suspect existing G2x owners will abandon LG

• I cannot imagine anyone doing otherwise. Such a heartbreak and frustration.

• Steven SeagalGuest 3 years ago

• and what custom ROM is that ? Most everything I’ve researched is not “stable” and has features missing such as video, WiFi calling.

Last I looked CM9 wasn’t released for G2x

• Steven SeagalGuest 3 years ago

• Every G2x owner I’ve known (including myself; it was a popular phone in my circle of friends) has agreed that we’re not buying an LG phone again.

6. RalphGuest 3 years ago

7. Majority of LG devices are build real solid (Nitro, Thrill, Revolution, 3D Max, Spectrum, L series and upcoming G4X). Their biggest downfall is the UI and software updating. UI can be replaced by other Launchers but in order for them to stay in the game they need a better updating process and to stop releasing new devices with old software ie Thrill 4G.

• Bob SagetGuest 3 years ago

8. What…after all that neat displays they showed off recently I was thinking that’s where they are heading….to make tablets. Well, god knows what or who went…… “kaput”!!!!

9. I suspect in a few more months or years, the tablet market will end up being like the portable music player market that was dominated by the iPod after other manufacturers slowly conceded defeat.

10. steveGuest 3 years ago