Jan 07 AT 10:24 AM Taylor Wimberly 38 Comments

Vizio reveals world’s first Tegra 4 tablet, expected to ship 2H 2013

vizio-tegra-4-630

The Verge reports that Vizio will be one of the first companies to produce a tablet powered by NVIDIA’s new Tegra 4 chip. Details are limited at this time, but the device will feature a 10-inch display with 2560 x 1600 resolution, and it will run a “bone stock” version of Android 4.2 Jellybean. Other specs include 32GB of internal storage, Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi, front and rear cameras and the standard set of connectivity ports.

Pricing was not revealed, but Vizio is known as a value brand. We would hope that Vizio would be able to match the $399 starting point of the Samsung Nexus 10 tablet, but we don’t know how Tegra 4 devices will be priced yet. Exact availability was not announced, but Nilay Patel of The Verge reports it should ship sometime in the second-half of 2013.

Matt McRae, Vizio CTO, says, “We looked at what people were buying and commenting on [...] and we came to the conclusion that the Android UI has come along far enough that the stock Android UI is [best for] a superior device.”

Vizio also revealed they would go head-to-head with the Nexus 7 and sell a 7-inch tablet that is powered by Tegra 3. Exact pricing and availability details for that device were not revealed.

We have seen Vizio produce a number of Android tablets in the past, but they featured an older version of Android with an ugly skin running on top. It will be interesting to see if Vizio can gain some traction this time around with a series of new devices powered by the latest version of stock Android.

Hit up the source link for additional hands-on pictures and a short video, and let us know what you think in the comments below. What would you be willing to pay for a high-end Android tablet powered by Tegra 4?

Via: The Verge

• acidone

• http://www.jaxidian.org/update/ jaxidian

• RGIII

Agreed, my new iPad is much better than this brick.

• GRAW

Yes, RGIII, you bring up an excellent point; iPads ARE shovel-ware!

• honourbound68

• txbluesman

I will stick to the nexus line.

• Fulaman

I will stick with my Nexus 10

• Paul

Yeah the specs of this new device seem comparable to the Nexus 10 and it has a better CPU/GPU, but then again, you have to realize, you’re talking about Vizio vs Samsung. You can’t expect the build quality and R&D and testing, etc. to all be there. But I hope it is. Or at the very least, drives the price of the Nexus 10 down some so I can buy it :-)

• Denise

The phones start at 500. Then when all the people get them that can afford them u drop the price down to 99. But if u need any help like i do there is none. You do whatever u can to sell the phone promise everything if i have a problem just bring it in. Yea right i cant get help and i can’t get my rebate either.You lie to sell phones don’t go to the store on US 19 south of curlew on the east side of US19. I can be contacted at 727-614-1468 by call or txt.(when the phone works) Denise

• http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=583695634&ref=profile Rahul Singh

Good Specs and price..

• co.ag.2005

• Denise

I have heard nothing but good things about these phones and tablets.

• Thomas Biard

• Jeremy Sheehan

Aside from that, I’m impressed by the specs, but I’d be wary about getting a Vizio tablet. Haven’t heard much about the other ones.

• jeshep

Other reviews noted the extremely light weight of the demo version. It will be interesting to see how performance and battery life compare to the benchmark Nexus 10.

• Vyrlokar

On the other hand, I would not buy this if it was more expensive than the Nexus 10, and have no idea if Vizio will release it in my country (where Google makes the Nexus 10 available)

• fletchtb

• thekaz

• http://droidsamurai.blogspot.com DroidSamurai

• heat361

• Haze

Anyone with a pure Android experience normally releases fast updates… at least that is true for Asus.

• Haze

I wonder if this is any indication of the release of other Tegra 4 tablets? I was hoping one would be out by Feb-March. Tegra 4 is the best chip out now, but if tablets don’t start featuring them until the 2nd half of the year, it’ll be old news already… I expect Apple, Samsung, and Quaalcom to have something that match or beat it by that time.

• Shazam

• surethom

Miracast & Wifi 802.11ac are coming on lots of devices this year, hope all the flagship phones, tablets, laptops & TV’s will aswell??

• http://droidsamurai.blogspot.com DroidSamurai

• jamal adam

• alex8ion

• Joshua

my nexus 10 has been giving me problems i might pick one up

• Dr.Carpy

• lokidokie

So it’s a whole heap like the Nexus 10, just a little faster?? SOLD

• klotz

Plus better styling.

• donger

Stick with a Nexus.

• stanglifemike

• stanglifemike

Hoping a new Transformer tablet will be released with a Tegra 4 soon!!

• Nathan D.

This tablet sounds great, hopefully these specs will go to other tablet to.

• A.Noid

They should be releasing a 7″ Tegra 4 tablet, not a 7″ Tegra 3 one. One with a good screen, (say 1600×900) at least 16 gigs, and a memory card slot. And all of the rest of the standard items, cameras, GPS, Wifi, Bluetooth etc…

• Zack

Based on the fact that Google has chosen not to include a sd card slot, like the plastic fruit tablet, I would prefer a Vizio, or any other tablet that let me add storage. Having to pay 100$ for 16GB of flash doesn’t sound right in my head. It’s ok for the plastic fruit company because they have their own believers that love to buy overpriced iThings, but for a company like Google, it’s kinda suprising. But, money is money and I can understand this from a company point of view. But I’m a consumer ;).

• hsn

I LOVE YOU VIZIO. I am hsn

1. Specs look awesome. Although Vizio hasn’t had the best luck in the tablet market..

• Agreed. I refuse to be excited about this until we hear 1) pricing and 2) availability. Why? We’re about to see 300 more tablets with pretty much the same specs and some of them WILL give us pricing and availability.

• RGIIIGuest 2 years ago

Agreed, my new iPad is much better than this brick.

• Yes, RGIII, you bring up an excellent point; iPads ARE shovel-ware!

• their 8″ tab was terrible. it lagged badly. it was a better remote but who needs a tablet for a remote?? i hope they can take their success with tv’s to this arena. they make decent tv’s for the price..now if they can make decent tablets for the price, it’s a win

2. I will stick to the nexus line.

3. FulamanGuest 2 years ago

I will stick with my Nexus 10

• PaulGuest 2 years ago

• DeniseGuest 2 years ago

4. Good Specs and price..

5. I’ll be sticking with my Nexus 7 but it’s good to see them running stock, vanilla Android. As a lover of their TVs, I do hope they succeed with this new line of tablets.

• DeniseGuest 2 years ago

I have heard nothing but good things about these phones and tablets.

6. Wow, Vizio is the first one calling dibso n the Tegra 4. I hope their tablet has more success than their previous 8″ one. They are growing in the tech industry, so I’ll still hold onto hope. Also, being Vizio, there is a good chance they will have really good prices on these tablets (relatively speaking of course).

7. I hope that Stock Android is becoming the norm. Android just needs a standard “customization/theme center” that manufacturers can just plug into. That way you can run stock if you want or run the skin that’s provided by the manufacturer.

8. Stock Android does not necessarily mean timely updates. It is still up to the Vizio to update drivers, test, and distribute newer versions. though using stock Android without skins should make it much easier and quicker.

9. On one hand, I like that 2560×1600 is becoming the standard resolution for 10″ Android tablets. I really find that 1280×800 is good enough for 7″ ones (I would prefer 1920×1080, as I believe than in a 7″ form factor it may be relevant, unlike sub 6″ smartphones) but on 10″ models, it makes pixels too visible.

10. I’d buy a Vizio tv, but I’m not sure I’d spend my money on a Vizio tablet. their previous offerings were not too impressive. I’m sure there will better Tegra 4 options announced shortly.

11. I was hoping Google would be able to come in at a lower price point with the Nexus 10.. not that it is horrible, but… perhaps if this one can come in $50-100 lower than the Nexus (if that is even possible) I might be willing to give it a shot.

• Unfortunately, it’s just near impossible to make a tablet cheaper than the Nexus — Google can sell at cost by making profits from Google Play. OEM can’t.

12. It may be pure android, but the only company I trust to release fast android updates is Google and their nexus line is good enough for me.

• HazeGuest 2 years ago

13. HazeGuest 2 years ago

14. I hope the price is right. There are so many choices it’s hard to know and decide which tablet is the best.

15. I wonder when we will start seeing Wifi 802.11ac & miracast as standard to transfer full HD content around the home??

16. Bluetooth 4 — sounds great, except that almost none of the Bluetooth 4 Android devices work with Bluetooth Low Energy. Google never put in the support of BLE in the core OS.

17. This looks to be great and the fact that it has stock Android means that customers hopefully will not have to wait long to get updates. I really like what Vizio is doing with all there devices, stock is the way to go and the more options with stock, the better be use we customers benefit from it.

18. I sure hope the navigation layout gets fixed when they upgrade it to 4.2. It doesn’t make any sense for a 10 inch Android tablet to have centralized navigation buttons

19. JoshuaGuest 2 years ago

my nexus 10 has been giving me problems i might pick one up

20. I’d be willing to give this a shot. Vizio was considered a dud in the TV circuit at one point as well. Now they’ve evolved and started making really good TV. I would hope that this trend continues for them with this tablet. Any competition is good for us that will eventually buy this stuff!

21. So it’s a whole heap like the Nexus 10, just a little faster?? SOLD

22. Stick with a Nexus.

23. I’m looking forward to buying a Tegra 4 tablet. Asus is the brand I’ll buy though. I’ll be at the door the day Asus launches a 10″ tablet powered by a Tegra 4!!

24. This tablet sounds great, hopefully these specs will go to other tablet to.

25. A.NoidGuest 2 years ago