Apr 25 AT 4:10 PM Dustin Earley 38 Comments

Vine for Android coming “soon”

vine

It’s only once every six months or so, maybe even once a year, that we see a really great app break into the mainstream. Much like Instagram, Vine has done just that. Everyone from comedians to electronic music super-duos (I’m looking at you, Daft Punk), have adopted the 6-second video service in a big way. And also much like Instagram, Vine in all of its massive popularity, didn’t start out with an Android app. According to the developers behind Vine, that will be changing soon.

In an interview with The Verge, it was mentioned that Vine for Android is being actively worked on, and is coming “soon.” For those of who have been intrigued by the app, but not enough to dump Android for it, this is great news.

Large companies glazing over Android, and releasing as iOS only at first, has proven to be a relatively smart move. While some would argue the fact that half of Instagram’s users are now on Android means the company missed out in the beginning, some might argue the exact opposite. Launching on iOS only gave the team behind Instagram the option to support a small amount of handsets, and hone their product before expanding overnight to double the user base. And you can’t forget that even though Instagram launched initially just for iOS, Android users still gobbled it up when it was released.

It’s highly unlikely that in the end, Instagram missed out on anything by not supporting Android out of the gate. Someday that won’t be the case, but for now, Vine is in the same situation. The fact does remain that even now, if you do ignore Android, you ignore a huge amount of the market, but expanding to more platforms responsibly is best for everyone. If Vine for Android really does release soon, it looks like Vine may have found the sweet spot with a paced rollout that doesn’t put strain on its developers or the service itself.

Source: The Verge

Dustin Earley: Tech enthusiast; avid gamer; all around jolly guy.

• http://androidandme.com Taylor Wimberly

Check out http://vinepeek.com/ if you want to kill a few brain cells.

• Dustin Earley

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Burnd

Hahah, my braincells hate you for this. Didn’t even wanna watch at first, but now I’ve been wasting for over 15 minutes of my life.

• donger

interesting and cool.

• Grape
    • Chrissy*

will not be using vine for that….

• Brandon Harris

Good! Because Cinemagram is slow as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhk

• donger

Agreed.

• http://droidsamurai.blogspot.com DroidSamurai

• AppleWins

Good luck with that. Apple wins. Android sucks balls.

• Ashley

Ya but all the iOS users would lie and say they didn’t like the app that came to Android first.

• TheTechWay

Nice article!
    I also wrote about this on my site, if anyone wants to check it out:

• TheTechWay

Personally, I think Vine sound have come to Android a long time ago.

• MisterLee

• Trevor Jordan Kinsie

I think Nike has a product deal with Apple, and will only release products and apps to Apple. They’ve had a long running relationship all the way back to the iPod Nano.

• SamRam2014

I love the vine app it just needs to come to Android already please hurry!!!!!!!

• carrina

But when is the actual app (vine) coming out on the android ?

• Ollie Parsley

Don’t forget you can see vines in real-time as they are posted.

• Grape

You can already create Vine-style videos on Android using GrapeVideoApp.

• Thalia

omg come faster

• Michael

Have they given a date yet? I have an upgrade and want to know if I should wait to get something besides an iphone

• Blaze Call

If vine is really your selling point of an entire os, get the iPhone. Personally I love my nexus 4,and my friends iPhone 5 is constantly falling short of what I can do. But if you’re in it for the apps, apple has a larger and better app selection.

• bert

It’s only slightly larger and as it being “better” that’s up for debate.

• redraider133

• Scott

Viinneeee needs to come out NOOOOWWWWW lol

• AppleWins

Android Sucks. Deal with it buddy. You get everything last. Us iphone users are top priority.

• lawrencia

I don’t want no fake vine. I want the real vine like everyone else has on apple….HOW LONG IS IT GONNA TAKE?!? you’d think with the success of it, android would have came out with our

• Arthur

Русскоязычные пользователи тоже очень ждут Vine для Android, просим вас пошевелить попками

• Fish

Where is it!? That article was over a month ago!

• bigpimppppp

like, this is stupid. us android users should have vine as an app & not be bypasses for iOS users. the majority of people have androids and would most definitely would love to be apart of the same thing iOS users have. you should not skip over us. this is VERY dumb.

• Hannahhh

Not everyone has an Iphone. It’s hard to get a iphone because you either have to have a contract or pay 80-120 a month for the Iphone, which this is also true with the newer and very good androids, but like me and many other people, I don’t have that kind of money to be wasting on a phone. So the fact that there are apps that only is for IOS is kinda unfair. So hearing that vine is working on the app for android makes me happy, I hope it’ll be for ever android and not just the ones that are galaxy and droid.

• Mystery

When are yall going to get VINE

• Hurr Durr

Get grape instead its pretty cool to be honest

• Anonymous

All of my friends have IPhones except me. I have an android. And I love vine! I want it to come out very soon so I can catch up and be a part of it! I hate having to wait so long for apps like vine to come out for android. It’s not fair.

• vineforandroidNOW!!

it better come this june!! i have been waiting! i have to use my friends phone to make vines!! come on android and vine work faster,and harder to get this app released this week or like middle of june!!!

• Michelle

although im realllyyy happy vine is coming out for us android users, it annoys me cuz I remember going through this like less than a year ago with instagram when I saw month old article that it was coming for android “soon” and it wasnt until like 5-7 months later that it finally did come out…it pisses me off cuz I dont see the point of choosing one over the other. and frankly, Im not just saying this because I have an amdroid (I LOVEEEE my android), but I would feel this same way if I had an iphone!! these app creators need to step it up and get it together…its ridiculous

• michelle

and another thing that annoys me is that when instagram first came out for android, we couldnt focus in on one thing in the picture (like the blurred effect) and mow I find out that with vine, when we get it, apple is going to have an updated feature that we wont have…again, pissed me off!! its not fair

1. Check out http://vinepeek.com/ if you want to kill a few brain cells.

2. Brandon HarrisGuest 2 years ago

Good! Because Cinemagram is slow as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhk

3. We badly need an Android only app that breaks into the mainstream that makes iOS users envy.

• AppleWinsGuest 2 years ago

Good luck with that. Apple wins. Android sucks balls.

• AshleyGuest 2 years ago

4. TheTechWayGuest 2 years ago

Nice article!
    I also wrote about this on my site, if anyone wants to check it out:

5. TheTechWayGuest 2 years ago

Personally, I think Vine sound have come to Android a long time ago.

6. I’m ok with apps taking their time and eventually coming to Android what pisses me off is apps like the one for the Nike Fuel Band NEVER coming to Android. Its not smart business when the product you are selling doesn’t work for more than half of the consumers who are willing to buy it.

• Trevor Jordan KinsieGuest 2 years ago

7. SamRam2014Guest 2 years ago

8. carrinaGuest 2 years ago

But when is the actual app (vine) coming out on the android ?

9. Ollie ParsleyGuest 2 years ago

Don’t forget you can see vines in real-time as they are posted.

10. GrapeGuest 2 years ago

You can already create Vine-style videos on Android using GrapeVideoApp.

11. ThaliaGuest 2 years ago

omg come faster

12. MichaelGuest 2 years ago

• Blaze CallGuest 2 years ago

• bertGuest 2 years ago

It’s only slightly larger and as it being “better” that’s up for debate.

13. At first I wasn’t a fan but after seeing it and using it I really can’t wait for it to come to android.

14. ScottGuest 2 years ago

Viinneeee needs to come out NOOOOWWWWW lol

• AppleWinsGuest 2 years ago

15. lawrenciaGuest 2 years ago

16. ArthurGuest 2 years ago

17. FishGuest 2 years ago

Where is it!? That article was over a month ago!

18. bigpimpppppGuest 2 years ago