Jul 31 AT 1:36 PM Dima Aryeh 16 Comments

Red Rice is Xiaomi’s new $130, quad core 720p phone

Xiaomi Red Rice

Xiaomi is known for making nice, fairly high-end phones at reasonable prices. They run MIUI too, which is awesome considering it’s a custom ROM for most. However, it seems Xiaomi is taking a small detour in their regular plans. They’re releasing a new device that isn’t very high-end, but will retail for a surprising 799 yuan, or $130.

The Xiaomi Red Rice, with its oh-so-low price, will launch with some nice specs. It will have a 4.7-inch display with a 720p resolution (boasting a pretty nice 312 PPI), a quad core MediaTek processor, 1GB of RAM, 4GB of storage (no mention of a microSD slot), 8MP rear camera, 1.3MP front camera and Gorilla Glass 2 coating the front. Pretty impressive, right?

The phone will only have support for China Mobile’s TD-SCDMA 3G, and won’t support other Chinese networks. But at that price, we’re sure it’ll sell. And hopefully, it’ll help Xiaomi reach their goal of doubling smartphone sales this year. If they were available in your country, would you pick one up?

Xiaomi Red Rice xiaomi-red-rice xiaomi-red-rice-2 xiaomi-red-rice-3 xiaomi-red-rice-4 xiaomi-red-rice-5

Source: Engadget

• redraider133

• HolySmokesBatty

At that price it might be worth importing to have a dedicated ChromeCast device to keep on the end table.

• http://htcsource.com Nick Gray

• EmagehtmaI

• zionlion02

Check out Blu. They are actually making some nice mid range phones for great prices here. Kind of under the radar, but they are based on Miami.

• Paul

How do I check them out? I live near Miami and am an Android enthusiast. I’d love to find some decent phones for a good price, just for tinkering and learning and handing out to family members, etc. I’ve searched for “Blu” Miami and can’t find them but I’ll keep trying.

• R.S

• bleh_zero

• kiki.utena

That 1st patagraph could easily be mis-interpreted by people with little knowledge of Xiaomi.

Xiaomi DEVELOPED! and run Miui.

Also is it any more custom than Touchwiz or other Android manufacturers custom skins? (This I’m not sure of and am genuinely asking, I suspect it’s no different just a lot more customized in look.)

• donger

Awesome. wish it would come stateside.

• John in Brisbane

Yep. Assuming they did a multi-band GSM version. I’d buy one as a back up device – I’m so reliant on my phone these days that I’ve been keeping my previous phone up to date as plan B. My GS3 went to the farm and on paper at least, one of these would be better than my GS2 and cheap enough to be worth buying to be a spare and for primary use for dodgy situations like festivals, water-sports etc. I just forked out for an HTC One (Yep, awesome) but I was closely looking at cheap chinese GS3/4 clones as well.

I’d like to be kept informed about phones like this, particularly when they’re compatible with all networks. Cheers John

• david jones richrads

It is a real good deal that you are getting so much in a phone with such low price http://www.mobileosworld.com/2013/08/samsung-wants-you-to-sip-some-hennessy.html

• William

I don’t know chinese, but I took a look at their website and it appears the device supports GSM. There is even a picture showing both a TD sim and a GSM sim inserted into the device.

• hp420

If it came with GSM bands and the option to install AOSP rather than MIUI, I’d buy a couple of them. MIUI is a deal-breaker for me, though. I’ve never liked it. I give them credit where it’s due for gaining the following they have….it’s just not anything I would ever want.

• lisa

i dont think this ie right !! only a td one , but i have seen a cheapest one , its called 1949deal, 198.99 with gift !!

• sameer kumar

Good deal

1. That’s about what most “mid range” phones with those specs sell for ON CONTRACT here in the US lol. Good deal

2. HolySmokesBattyGuest 2 years ago

3. I’ve always loved MIUI. If I can get a Xiaomi phone with MIUI pre-installed for under $150, I’m going to be a happy camper. It’ll be the perfect Christmas present for family members who have not upgraded to a smartphone yet.

4. This is what we need in the US. Manufacturers making mid-range phones for affordable prices. Shoot, throw in a little more memory (16 GB instead of 4 GB) and you have a great, all-around functional phone for under $200. I don’t care if it doesn’t have 4G or even 3G – I use my phone mainly for texting and calling when I’m out, and I can connect to WiFi at home and work for web surfing. I’d love to have options available like this in the US.

• zionlion02Guest 2 years ago

• PaulGuest 2 years ago

5. $130?! Even with only 4gb of internal storage, this could make for a great temporary replacement phone for those who lose or break their phone and are still under contract. Provided of course that it had the right frequencies.

6. If it was a GSM capable phone I’d buy it.. A7 aren’t top notch in performance but it would be good enough especially for a cheap backup.

7. kiki.utenaGuest 2 years ago

Xiaomi DEVELOPED! and run Miui.

8. Awesome. wish it would come stateside.

9. John in BrisbaneGuest 2 years ago