Jan 13 AT 4:08 PM Nick Gray 28 Comments

HTC One X and X+ won’t receive updates beyond Android 4.2.2

htc-one-x-home

HTC’s 2014 streak of good news has come to an abrupt end with the announcement that the One X and One X+ will not be updated to Android 4.3. Both devices are currently running on Android 4.2 with HTC Sense 5. This is extremely disappointing news for HTC owners since the Samsung Galaxy S III’s update to Android 4.3 started rolling out late last fall. The One X is three to four months older than the Galaxy S III, but the One X+ didn’t make it to market until late Q3 of 2012.

We can confirm that the HTC One X and One X+ will not receive further Android OS updates beyond Android 4.2.2 with Sense 5. We realize this news will be met with disappointment by some, but our customers should feel confident that we have designed both devices to be optimized with our amazing camera and audio experiences.HTC

We have reached out to our contacts at HTC to get a little clarification. The One X and One X+ are powered by NVIDIA Tegra 3 chips, while the AT&T One X and the One XL feature Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 chips. We may be looking at a scenario where some devices will remain on Android 4.2.2 while others get upgraded to Android 4.3 and beyond.

As soon as we hear back from HTC, we will update this post.

Update: we have just received word from HTC that the statement above applied to all HTC One X models. it looks like the only HTC One X variant that will be updated to Android 4.3 is the HTC EVO 4G LTE on Sprint. We’re not exactly sure why Sprint’s variant of HTC’s 2013 flagship is being treated differently, but Sprint has always managed to find a way to distinguish its EVO lineup from the pack.

Source: Engadget

• hamit

Thief company its too shame for your brand

• weudel

Never buy a device for add-on expected update. Buy the one that works best for you from the start. Verizon has taught me that.

• http://www.androidandme.com Dima Aryeh

• SGB101

It does stink a bit that the sgs3 is at 4.3 and HTC isn’t, but Samsung do have a lot more resources and cash. However if HTC keep coming up short, they will continue to fall in sales.

• http://htcsource.com Nick Gray

This strategy hurt HTC quite a bit as it was forces to stretch resources thin to update all of the devices. 2013 was a different story. HTC’s flagship lineup was comprised of the HTC One. yes, there are a few subtle variants for CDMA and GSM carriers across the globe, but the core hardware components of the phone have remained the same. This has allowed HTC to lead with KitKat updates so far on its flagship 2013 phone and we should expect to see quite a few more updates as the phone ages.

• http://www.androidandme.com Dima Aryeh

Agreed, you should still buy a phone that is good from the beginning.

• JGarrido

That’s odd, why is this post not in your feed?

• http://htcsource.com Nick Gray

The feed is updated every 30 minutes or so. I’m seeing that it’s now there.

• nimslake

• hoxp_hou

Just got a software update from AT&T (mid-day 1/16/2014) – after it finished, I checked the version and it said 4.1.1 as well. No 4.2.2… WTF was that???

• KC

My HTC One will be our last HTC, My wife and daughter with their HTC One Xs will definltely be disappointed,

Guess we have to look at other cheaper brands next, since highly costly premium devices are just not worth their salt anymore. It is easier and less painful to discard cheap devices than expensive ones which has no advantages over the cheaper ones.

• Istvan Gomori

N7000(note) update4.2?

• Igaal Naouri

What’s so disappointing about it? There’s nothing wrong with Android 4.2.2 it’s a great phone with excellent design and killer software! Stop looking for the latest of bloody everything, I would take an HTC One x with 4.2.2 every day over a Samshit S3

• Shinoby

Noob,

4.2.2 has no BT 4.0 LTE.
      4.3 is needed to connect Smartwatches, Waku Up Lights and other stuff.

This is a terrible issue at home, at this moment the X+ is for android games and and IPhone is for calling and BT 4.0 LTE products.

4.3 is the first android version which support full Bluetooth.

• ben steel

That would be great if you could follow up after reaching out to your contacts.
    I believe the Sprint variation is the HTC EVO 4G LTE

And you should remind them that, that contradicts what Jason MzcKenzie said back in Oct 2013 about delivering it before the end of the year…which turned out to be inaccurate (lie)

An what Mo updated to be ready Mid Jan with a tweet back in Dec

4.3 came out in July 2013….6 months later the whole update seems uncertain.
    I’ve been a loyal HTC guy up til now, but there are too many other great phones out there now
    not to give another company a chance to return some love.

• Mike C.

I bought the One X when it came out. The hardware is great but HTC dropped the ball on the software. Now this … end of the line for me with regards to HTC. I shall not buy nor recommend an HTC device to anyone.

And while it may be that the audio is great (but not so much) the camera is on so-so. And yet that doesn’t matter to me – what matters is that HTC never fixed the Wifi problem on the device and that they decided not to release updates to their previous flagship device 18 months after release (they just only communicated it now).

So goodbye HTC … we will never meet again!

• ibrahim elboghdady

there is no update for htc one xl , i have old version 4.1.1

• Kevin

They’re not abandoning their products. They are increasing sales of next year’s model. Why would you upgrade if it’s only an extra bit of ram or a processor bump? But you still got the latest software. I know a great incentive, how about you buy the next software upgrade for $50…?

• ben steel

Nick
    Thanks for the EVO 4G LTE update…that’s good news for us Sprint people.

• arigr

i wont own another htc after the fail with thunderbolt updates…

• Rasta D

Oh my this is a disapponted news the Galaxy S3 even Note 2 shall be updated clearly another reason why many people preferred Samsung

• HTC says no more Android updates for One X & One X+

HTC shows no android update sign to HTC oneX and OneX+ http://www.techyclick.com/no-more-android-updates-for-one-x/

• Alex

Bye HTC was nice meeting you, Hello Samsung :)

• Rei A

Gotta love Sprint. They have been very update orientated for quite a long while now. Although I no longer have the EvoLTE, I’m sure my sister will welcome 4.3 with open hands.

• donger
  • evans

i just bought my htc one x in 2014 and i dont know whether i will be able to get andriod 4.1.1 update.whiles we are in 2014

1. hamitGuest 1 year ago

Thief company its too shame for your brand

2. weudelGuest 1 year ago

• I don’t know, Samsung has taught me that their devices will only get better with time. My S II went from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean over the course of two years. Yes, two years of support. And the Galaxy S III, from the same time as the One X and older than the One X+, has Android 4.3 everywhere in the world.

• I agree the devices get better, especially if jumping from 2.3 to 4+, but the message should still be the same, get a phone your happy with today, not on future posabilities.

• Regarding the resources piece, HTC split its flagship lineup in 2012 between the HTC One X, HTC One S, HTC One XL and HTC EVO 4G LTE. While it was nice to have variety, this strategy was the downfall of HTC since all of these devices needed different software for the subtle hardware tweaks of each device.

• Agreed, you should still buy a phone that is good from the beginning.

3. JGarridoGuest 1 year ago

That’s odd, why is this post not in your feed?

4. Nice update if it were true. My HTC One X(via AT&T), will not update beyond 4.1.1 with Sense 4+. Just checked to be sure if I was hallucinating regarding the version. Well I guess I’ll be moving on in a few months to another phone type. Sad for HTC bec I love the phone and all.

• hoxp_houGuest 1 year ago

5. KCGuest 1 year ago

6. Istvan GomoriGuest 1 year ago

N7000(note) update4.2?

7. Igaal NaouriGuest 1 year ago

• ShinobyGuest 9 months ago

Noob,

4.2.2 has no BT 4.0 LTE.
      4.3 is needed to connect Smartwatches, Waku Up Lights and other stuff.

4.3 is the first android version which support full Bluetooth.

8. That would be great if you could follow up after reaching out to your contacts.
    I believe the Sprint variation is the HTC EVO 4G LTE

An what Mo updated to be ready Mid Jan with a tweet back in Dec

4.3 came out in July 2013….6 months later the whole update seems uncertain.
    not to give another company a chance to return some love.

9. Mike C.Guest 1 year ago

So goodbye HTC … we will never meet again!

10. ibrahim elboghdadyGuest 1 year ago

there is no update for htc one xl , i have old version 4.1.1

11. KevinGuest 1 year ago

12. Nick
    Thanks for the EVO 4G LTE update…that’s good news for us Sprint people.

13. arigrGuest 1 year ago

i wont own another htc after the fail with thunderbolt updates…

14. Rasta DGuest 1 year ago

15. HTC says no more Android updates for One X & One X+Guest 1 year ago

16. AlexGuest 1 year ago

Bye HTC was nice meeting you, Hello Samsung :)

17. Rei AGuest 1 year ago