Feb 18 AT 3:59 PM Dima Aryeh 18 Comments

HTC M8 shown off in case, still has giant area for logo under screen

HTC One

HTC M8 cased

The HTC M8 is the victim of yet another photo leak, but this time we’re looking at a render of the device in a protective case. Besides its black color, this M8 looks identical to the ones shown in other leaks, including a smaller speaker up top and the strange configuration of front-facing camera and sensors.

The case itself looks pretty thick and protective, so I wonder if HTC plans to sell it alongside the device. Official cases are never a bad idea, and HTC has just released the customizable Double Dip case for the HTC One, so the company could really be getting into the case business.

Overall this leak doesn’t show much of anything new, save for giving a peek at the black color option. Unfortunately, it seems that the black bar with the HTC logo is here to stay. Will this keep you from buying the device?

• http://genesischess.com/ MJM128

• Nate B.

• Steve

The fact that it has on screen buttons, no sd card, and non removable battery, will be my reasons for not buying one. Add to the fact that the phone has specs from 6 months ago, nothing to really be excited about. I got a lot more excited about the s5. It’s supposed to be waterproff, dust proof, have a finger print scanner that lauches different apps with each finger, rummors of an octa core processor, with minimal 800 snapdragon clocked at 2.5ghz, an extra gig of ram, made of premium metal, and a 16mp camera. Now to me all these features are better and have raised specs. Add the bonus of a sd card slot, removable battery, and hard keys, plus the fact that Samsung still is going to support the s3 and Htc stop supporting the One x+, I will take the 5s, ir at least wait

• Shawn

no sd card??? that was the orig HTC One.. not this device.. this one will have an sd card slot..

• Steve

The fact that it has on screen buttons, no sd card, and non removable battery, will be my reasons for not buying one. Add to the fact that the phone has specs from 6 months ago, nothing to really be excited about. I got a lot more excited about the s5. It’s supposed to be waterproff, dust proof, have a finger print scanner that lauches different apps with each finger, rummors of an octa core processor, with minimal 800 snapdragon clocked at 2.5ghz, an extra gig of ram, made of premium metal, and a 16mp camera. Now to me all these features are better and have raised specs. Add the bonus of a sd card slot, removable battery, and hard keys, plus the fact that Samsung still is going to support the s3 and Htc stop supporting the One x+, I will take the 5s, or at least wait to see everyones offerings

• Rob C

I have a One, and I also have an upgrade. I was so pleased with the One that I had planned to just get the next version, until I saw this.

My one complaint with the phone is that it’s just a smidge too tall. This is going to make that problem worse without adding any killer features that will make me upgrade. I’m happy to hold on to my One, but upset they took it in this direction.

• Steve

I agree 100 percent, this phone should have been released 6 months ago. No new features, no new specs

• Derek

Lol at “giant area”… I wish I could -1 this whole article Dima

• donger

It’s not so bad.

• Tma

“The M8 also retains the giant black bar with an HTC logo below its screen, a remnant of the capacitive navigation buttons that no longer exist. Not only does this look bad, but it’s a huge waste of space and makes the bezels absolutely giant. Since the HTC One is already absolutely massive for its screen size, the M8 and its 5-inch display could end up sporting a body that belongs to a far larger phone. And yes, I’ve mentioned this before, but I can’t get over how ridiculous it is.”

I Absolutely Agree!

• Ben

I was allready going to buy that phone when it comes out but if that “GIANT AREA” for the logo stays goodbye HTC my wallet will not open for that and this coming from a nexus 4 user

• westxtsew

People please.
    Just take a look at some of the concept pics on google, the phone would look amazing with thin bezels top to bottom complete with front facing speakers.
    But then take a look at what they are making and instant frown :(

• Purestriker

I like it.

• Ernst

As do I. I think people are overreacting a *little* too much over such a thing. It’s still a damn sexy phone IMO

• Nyt

It looks like the old iphone. Turned my excitement to disappointment, they could have atleast made it an edge to edge display.

• Jay

I think it’s just straight up ugly that black bar and the top speaker uuuhhuhh sorry htc you ain’t gettin’my money this year if it ends up lookin’like that

• Adam

I was really excited for this, with the success of the One I was going to get rid of my IPhone and get myself a shiny new HTC. But if this is what they bring out? Not a chance. Still I’ll wait and see what’s actually revealed in March to make my final decision.

• Alfieri

Surely this is the new HTC One Mini – the speaker grilles look to be shorter than on the One, and other leaked pictures show a phone without the HTC Logo bar at all.

1. I’m honestly not sure if I’ll get the M8 if that HTC logo is there on the front of the device. It looks so bad!

• I definitely don’t like it either, but it’s a bit dramatic to not get a device for such a reason, especially the other things it has to offer.

2. SteveGuest 1 year ago