Feb 25 AT 4:03 PM Dima Aryeh 18 Comments

Sony no longer using permanent screen protectors on the Xperia Z2 and Z2 Tablet

sony-xperia-z2 (6)

Many people are not aware of this, but most Sony smartphones to come out in the last few years have shipped with pre-applied screen protectors. These screen protectors, officially called the “anti-shatter film,” are technically removable but are very difficult to remove. They’re made to be permanent, to protect your device from shattering the glass display.

Of course, the screen protector makes the screen smudge easy, scratch badly, and makes it feel plasticky. The feel is probably the worst part. It makes the glass pointless. This was a significant problem, as most people didn’t even know it existed. However, Sony has announced that the anti-shatter film is a thing of the past. The Xperia Z2 and Z2 Tablet will come with bare glass on the front.

This is fantastic news, as screen protectors should be a choice, not an obligation by the man. I’m pro-glass. Anyway, tell us what you think about this situation! Do you prefer bare glass or screen protectors, and should Sony have been putting them on without informing the public?

Source: Android Central

• TheGadgetPriest

This is the reason I returned my Sony and took the HTC One instead. So many reports of scratched up screens due to the soft screen protector and voiding the warranty if it is removed

• Steve

I think that manufacturers should send the protective skin in the box with the phone and accessories. The film does wreak the quality of the picture by a fair amount and it should be an option, not mandatory.

• http://www.androidandme.com Dima Aryeh

• Miguel

Actually Sony also provided a screen protector to use on top of the anti-shatter film. This are good news indeed as the scratch magnet anti-shatter film was my main reason not to buy sony smartphones.

• Matthieu

I disagree, this is one of the reasons why I liked Sony smartphones…

• http://www.androidandme.com Dima Aryeh

• Matticus

You liked them because they sold you devices which easily scratch, smudge and make you contemplate your life when you’re obligated to put a screen protector on ANOTHER screen protector in order to protect the first screen protector which protects the screen itself? Yeah right, I removed this stupid foil from my Z because it got banged up so bad after just the first week that it started to look like a three year phone, and then when it came to fixing an unrelated issue in the phone later, I couldn’t because I lost the damn warranty due to that foil. Yep, great idea.

• http://droidsamurai.blogspot.com DroidSamurai

• Jon

I am for this I own the Z1S and was disappointed that I had to put a screen protector on top of a screen protector to protect my screen from scratches. That is absurd and who has ever done that? Not that anyone can tell by looking but it is just stupid. Besides that I’m loving the device I was against upgrading to the Z2 especially since my Z1S is just a month old. But I am seriously thinking about it if it comes to T-Mobile.

• Brian

I’ve always been in the “raw dog it” mentality. Yeah it’s more risky but it just feel so much better — and it hasn’t been a problem yet! *knocks on wood*

• Brian chamberlain

I usually go bare on my phones. I have the Z1s and the protector is no where near feeling cheap or like plastic. I’ve also dropped the phone a few times and let my kids play with it. Not a single scratch. It does pick up any and all smudges though. My wife has the same phone and no problems with hers either.

• donger

Go Sony, hopefully they’ll make a Nexus device next year.

• roiji

it’s good that it’s there but anyone should be able to easily remove it if they wanted to.

• John

It was about bloody time. That was pretty much the main reason I never bothered to buy an xperia.

• dave

so, would you purchase the Sony screen protector made for the XPERIA Z2?

• jack

I have the Z Ultra Google Play Edition and I have to say the protector doesn’t bother me and actually is very smart on Sony’s part. One prevents loose glass from a broken screen from causing harm to humans and two if you ever have to replace your screen it will be much easier than that glue found on Samsung phones in between the digitizer and the glass. That is the main reason it’s there to hold the glass together (anti shatter) And from reports of dropping Z phones seems Don’t I phones hold up better in drops and the film and Dragontrail glass superior.

• Ser

2 questions:

1) are the Z2 and Z3 serie provided with a different/better glass than the z1, so to be able to avoid the asf?
    2) can somebody please suggest some really good-feeling (glass-like feeling) screen protectors which does not scratch? I need them for a Z1 Compact.

1. TheGadgetPriestGuest 1 year ago

2. SteveGuest 1 year ago

• That’s a good idea, Sony should toss the screen protector into the box for people to apply themselves.

• MiguelGuest 1 year ago

3. MatthieuGuest 1 year ago

I disagree, this is one of the reasons why I liked Sony smartphones…

• You can always buy a nice screen protector and apply it yourself. Many aftermarket screen protectors feel almost like glass, much more so than Sony’s stock ones.

• MatticusGuest 1 year ago

4. I think Sony should pre-apply a removable screen protector instead. I personally always apply a screen protector and a pre-applied one will save me the trouble of doing it myself. If it’s removable, people who don’t like it can easily take it off.

5. JonGuest 1 year ago

6. BrianGuest 1 year ago

7. Brian chamberlainGuest 1 year ago

8. Go Sony, hopefully they’ll make a Nexus device next year.

9. roijiGuest 1 year ago

10. JohnGuest 10 months ago

11. daveGuest 10 months ago

so, would you purchase the Sony screen protector made for the XPERIA Z2?

12. jackGuest 8 months ago