Apr 06 AT 8:50 AM Alex Wagner 33 Comments

Motorola ‘Moto X+1′ branding shown off in leaked image

motoxplus1aam

We haven’t heard much about the new Moto X except that it’s coming in “late summer,” but today a leaked image may have revealed the name of Motorola’s next flagship device.

Prolific leakster @evleaks has posted an image that shows the branding for something called the “Moto X+1.” The Tweet adds that the mysterious device is “coming soon,” but that’s about all of the information about the Moto X+1 that we’ve got so far.

So just what is the Moto X+1? That’s a mystery for now, but the name suggests that it’s a new version of the Moto X that launched last year. Whether this is a codename or final moniker remains to be seen, but it’s definitely an interesting choice that utilizes the Moto X brand while also seemingly taking a page from Internet culture and adding a “+1” to denote its newness.

If you were designing the new Moto X, what features would you include?

Source: @evleaks

Editorial Director of News and Content for PhoneDog Media. Fluent in whisk(e)y, video games and phones. Can be followed on Twitter at @alw.

• Micha Aston

Camera that’s all it need

• surethom

Agree & for Lenovo to not do a Motorola & release a 32gb version in the UK, not just the small 16gb.

• masterpfa

That and Motomaker for the International market

• redraider133

• Jeff Martinez

I really hope they just slightly improve the design. I love how pocketable the original is. But if it goes the big phone route then I’ll pass.

• Chris

Don’t wear girl jeans

• Daniel Logan

Give me an upgraded camera (with 4K), qi charging, and maybe better battery life and I will buy another wood backed model.

• Chris

4k is still in its infancy.

• Gem

I loved the Moto X. All I’d change is make it a 5 inch screen, a massive camera update, and being able to edit the quick panel settings. Add or remove panels

• surethom

• Mike

Just the latest chip sets a better camera. Keep screen size the same. They will have a home run with that.

• Jonathan

I’d like a faster CPU and a larger battery to ensure that doesn’t impact runtime. Otherwise it’s just about perfect as it is.

• Jonathan

Also,manual camera controls with resolution and file type adjustments. The actual camera hardware seems good as is though.More RAM would be nice too, but isn’t strictly necessary.

• Don

Bring back things they took out of older models: replaceable battery and microsd card slot. Just because time marches on it probably needs a kick up in RAM and internal storage.

• dowry

Time may march on but your brain is left in the past.

An SD card slot? Really? Stop putting dumbphone things in smartphones.

• S M

I don’t think that is dumb. I love my moto x but I dropped it and while the motherboard was okay, I couldn’t see anything on the screen–the LCD went black.I lost a lot of stuff that wasn’t saved to an external SD card. While I could plug it in to my computer and view certain things via the USB cable as a separate drive, I wasn’t able to retrieve everything I wanted.I sure would have liked to take out an SD card and insert into my replacement phone. Also, I thoroughly enjoyed having the HDMI capability on my Matrix and Matrix 2, which let me see everything on a TV that was on my screen. That would have been an immense help when my screen went black.Sometimes “dumb phone things” are pretty useful.

• S M

I don’t think that is dumb. I love my moto x but I dropped it and while the motherboard was okay, I couldn’t see anything on the screen–the LCD went black.I lost a lot of stuff that wasn’t saved to an external SD card. While I could plug it in to my computer and view certain things via the USB cable as a separate drive, I wasn’t able to retrieve everything I wanted.I sure would have liked to take out an SD card and insert into my replacement phone. Also, I thoroughly enjoyed having the HDMI capability on my Atrix and Atrix 2, which let me see everything on a TV that was on my screen. That would have been an immense help when my screen went black.Sometimes “dumb phone things” are pretty useful.

• surethom

• masterpfa

“No Special Carrier exclusives”

Bring the same goodness for all your customers.

• Patrick

Let’s be honest people. Its Motorola, they are an amazing company who doesnt seem to flow with the stature of the mobile industry. All I can see in the future really is an upgraded X8 processor chip. Perhaps X10 and a 1.7 GHz quad core with upgraded contextual processing and language processing. 1080p screens are nice, I have a Nexus 5 but honestly the only time I notice a difference between 720 and 1080 is when I zoom in on a photo and the 720 crops farther.

As for the camera, who needs 4K video? Its honestly a gimmic. By the time everyone has a chance to use 4K, it will be in about 5 years. So 4 more generations of mobile.

So I don’t see any extreme upgrades like a 1080p panel or a 3000 mAH battery (although that seems highly likely)

I see them just ugrading what they have already perfected. Everyone was expecting an 8core processor with last launch, and we got it. But not in terms we wanted. However, look at what happened. It is at par or even besting some of the highest quad cores.

In short,

720p panel again but with more caliberation

Upgraded X8 processor, possible a lower clock quad core to keep all the tech enthusiasm happy. And 2GB RAM is perfect.

Better camera software on an already fine camera.

The moto 360 should be included like in the galaxy note 3 and the galaxy gear, but you should have the option to opt out and cut that $200 dollars (or about.) If you dotn want the watch.

• masterpfa

For me:
      1. Screen size between 4.7-5″
      2. Larger battery
      3. X10 with Quad core CPU
      4. Better camera
      5. Released worldwide with no carrier preferences 16 & 32 Gb

• SGB101

So 4k recording now will greatly improve your viewing of old content in 10years time. If you haven’t got kids, your not likely to be interested in future viewing, but parents are.

• Nick Rodriguez

Need to fix the email app so that it autoresizes emails like the gmail app does. Also a 20MP ultra-pixel camera with image stabilization capable of 4k video recording, instant autofocus and zero shutter lag, micro SD card slot, 4K screen, a better Bluetooth radio (mine needs constant restarting) and a 5.5″ screen.

• daniel

That just looks like something Samsung would do. The moto x is a perfect all around phone, all it needs is updated specs as it comes along the times.

• Leon Fountain

The Moto-x has to be the mist responsive phone out on the market right now. Yes it could use a more internal storage space like 64gigs would be nice and a better camera.As you can see a bigger processor is not needed. More memory yes and faster chipset.The battery I’m debating on.

• moto-x-user

Double tap off/on to compliment the active display. It would be nice to have. Other than that a perfect phone. No need to change anything else. I do wish Motorola would include non-moto devices to use the moto messaging app in the chrome browser.

• Otto Lombardo

How about water resistant

• Ippai

It’s sad how marketing can be efficient. I remember 2 years ago, nobody talked about water resistant. Since whatever brand introduced it, everyone need water resistant.
      Now let’s think slowly about it : do you swim with your phone? do you take a bath with it ? Are you affraid of dropping it in water? Then how did you do when there was no water resistant?
      Water resistant is the most gimmick and unuseful feature I’ve seen

• Andrew Hill

As an avid sailor, skier and fisherman, I DO want water resistance. Just because its not useful to you, doesn’t mean it isn’t useful to others. It also really helps if it is dropped in a puddle or in the toilet, as water damage is a common warranty voiding issue.

• Vikram

The Moto x is Water resistant, to an extent. Read about it, Motorola put a water resistant nanocoating on all the electronics inside so its likely to do better than most phones in terms of water damage.

• masterpfa

• donger

What is it?

• Kai Hyrule

Specs have already leaked in benchmarks :P.
    4.8″ 1080p AMOLED display (458 PPI)
    1.8GHZ Quad-Core Snapdragon 610 CPU + Adreno 405 GPU (presumably part of X10 SoC)
    16GB-32GB ROM + 2GB RAM
    2.2MP front + 10MP rear with Optical Image Stabilization and Dual Tone LED flash
    Benchmarks a score arond 30,000 on Antutu, which is about on par with the Galaxy Note 3. Nearly double the score of the original X, 2600 MaH battery powers the handset.

1. Micha AstonGuest 1 year ago

Camera that’s all it need

2. The +1 almost makes it seem like maybe it’s another device to supplement the x, rather than completely replace it. The moto smart watch maybe? It will be interesting to see what they unveil.

3. Jeff MartinezGuest 1 year ago

4. Daniel LoganGuest 1 year ago

• ChrisGuest 1 year ago

4k is still in its infancy.

5. GemGuest 1 year ago

• There are way to many 5″ & above screen size phones, I like the choice of a high end phone with a 4.7″ screen.

6. MikeGuest 1 year ago

7. JonathanGuest 1 year ago

8. JonathanGuest 1 year ago

9. DonGuest 1 year ago

• dowryGuest 1 year ago

Time may march on but your brain is left in the past.

An SD card slot? Really? Stop putting dumbphone things in smartphones.

• S MGuest 1 year ago

• S MGuest 1 year ago

10. Lets hope lenovo launch this quicker in the UK than Motorola releases phones outside america (not the usual 6 months) & launches a 32gb version in the UK, not just the low 16gb version.

• They missed an opportunity big time by having such a delay before bring this phone to Europe. Also Lenovo

“No Special Carrier exclusives”

Bring the same goodness for all your customers.

11. PatrickGuest 1 year ago

In short,

720p panel again but with more caliberation

Better camera software on an already fine camera.

• I will be happy with Moto doing what is necessary to produce another ground breaking device. The X8 architecture was fine and to all intents and purposes seemed to perform well in “Real World” tests.
      For me:
      1. Screen size between 4.7-5″
      2. Larger battery
      3. X10 with Quad core CPU
      4. Better camera
      5. Released worldwide with no carrier preferences 16 & 32 Gb

• 4k mainstream adoption may be a while off, but looks at a video you filmed 5+ years ago on your 1080p TV, they look so bad. Your 720p recordings will look like that on 4k and worse on 8k (which I recon will hit mainstream leapfrogging 4k)

12. Nick RodriguezGuest 1 year ago

• danielGuest 1 year ago

13. Leon FountainGuest 1 year ago

14. moto-x-userGuest 1 year ago

15. Otto LombardoGuest 1 year ago

How about water resistant

• IppaiGuest 1 year ago

Water resistant is the most gimmick and unuseful feature I’ve seen

• Andrew HillGuest 1 year ago

• VikramGuest 1 year ago

16. Not to charge ‘Top End’ prices for a device (despite how good it really may be) does not contain top end specs (that’s if they do go along the same route this time!)

17. What is it?

18. Kai HyruleGuest 1 year ago

Specs have already leaked in benchmarks :P.
    4.8″ 1080p AMOLED display (458 PPI)
    16GB-32GB ROM + 2GB RAM