Jun 16 AT 1:09 PM Dima Aryeh 55 Comments

Towelroot can root most Samsung phones with the press of a button

Towelroot

It’s long been known that certain evil carriers want to prevent you from rooting your Android device, and a certain popular OEM tends to let those evil carriers do whatever they’d like. Yeah, I’m talking about you Samsung. AT&T and Verizon’s Samsung devices are often unrootable because of locked bootloaders, and any exploits that are discovered frequently get patched with new updates. My AT&T Galaxy Note 3 has been unrootable since its Android 4.4 update.

Luckily, Geohot has come to the rescue. The famous hacker who created iPhone jailbreaks and hacked the PS3 has come out with a new tool that can root almost any Samsung device, and best of all, it won’t trip KNOX. It’s quite an amazing discovery. It also works with any device with a kernel built before June 3rd, though Motorola and HTC devices need not apply due to /system being write protected.

I just tested it on my AT&T Galaxy Note 3, and it’s now successfully rooted! I’m very excited to start tinkering with the device because it means that I can finally have some nice tweaks. If you want to try it for yourself, head to the source link and download the APK. It’ll show as a virus (obviously), but you can ignore that. Will you be giving Towelroot a try? Leave a comment!

Via: SamMobile
Source: Towelroot, XDA-Developers

• Hamilton Hoyt

Will I be able to install a custom recovery and rom?

• http://www.androidandme.com Dima Aryeh

On many devices, no. The bootloader is still locked, not allowing things like recovery and ROM.

• monk

On some devices, like most bootloader locked Note 3 devices, you can install SafeStrap, that let you install a custom recovery without changing the boot partition (keeping the BL locked) and install more than 1 ROM on your phone if you want. For the ATT Note 3: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2572978

• http://www.androidandme.com Dima Aryeh

• Francisco Ayala

Anyone know it it works on gs3 on verizon

• http://www.androidandme.com Dima Aryeh

• lavvy

Will it work on my Micromax unite 2? Will my phone get damaged in any way if it doesn’t work?

• jim caulfield

yes Francisco – I just used app and it worked like a charm!

• http://www.androidandme.com Dima Aryeh

Surprisingly, Towelroot also rooted my HP Slate 7 Extreme!

• FByrd99

How did you get TR to root HP Slate 7 Extreme tablet? It failed on my HP model 4400US. I had updated to KitKat, and it killed my SD card function. Now I hate KitKat!
      Which TR version did you use?
      Which Android version did you root?
      Will be great news to root the Extreme model.

• Kennon

Or you could support companies who don’t lock you out of your own phone, eBay your Samsung and buy an HTC One M8. Then go to htc website and download the free dev kit and unlock all aspects of your phone, yes even the carrier branded ones. You shouldn’t have to fight your carrier and phone maker to use it how you want.

• Xamir

Umm no one wants htc

• http://www.androidandme.com Dima Aryeh

• tkarel

Umm why?
        Samsung is fixing to balkanize Android. No, thank you.
        Among the remaining it just depends on what I can get at what price. My HTC one was $50 w/ two year contract. Yeah, I wish I could more easily replace the battery and a microSD slot, but the hardware works well and it’s a good value.

• Denis

Hi,

does this root app trip Knox on Note 3 with Android 4.4.2?

Thanks in advance!

• http://www.androidandme.com Dima Aryeh

Nope! I used it on my Note 3 and it didn’t trip KNOX.

• Luke

What build were you running? I’m on the NB4 build…just got the phone a couple days ago. Want to make sure I don’t trip Knox if possible.

• Luke

Nevermind, just took the plunge and rooted it. Booted up into download mode and it still says 0×0 for knox warranty. :)

• Scott

Having never done this before, how do I know if I have root?

• http://www.androidandme.com Dima Aryeh

Root Checker app in the Play Store does just as the name says!

• TechnewzGR

I have try it to my Samsung Galaxy s 3 universal model and unfortunately it does not work! :(

• william

Gs4 4.4.2
    Didn’t working, said towel root speed working and rebooted the phone.

• G

I live in the UK.! Note 3 is unlocked from any network. I did the towelroot method, however root checker still says my device is not rooted. Anyone know why this could be?

• shaurya

any idea if i could root my MOTO G with it

• Hassan

If I disable knox with supersu will this trip the knox counter

• Ralph

VERIZON GALAXY NOTE 3 YES IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!! SO EASY I WAS SCARED

• tony

Worked like a charm on my UK note3 (N9005)

• George

I have a Note 3 on 4.4.2 NB4 and i wanted to know if Towelroot will let me install roms and disable or uninstall Knox ?

• mrpickem

• mrpickem

Worked great on my Verizon Note 3. Now I want to sell the phone, so is there an easy way to return to stock so you don’t get the custom splash on boot?

• jd

does not work on the Nexus 10. directions state that if the tablet resets, this indicates failure.

• jd

not working on Nexus 10

• Zeno K.

I don’t get the point about installing SuperSU after Towelroot.
    Do I just need to install it or should I perform some configuration? And how?
    I read that this is necessary to prevent apps to get root rights without permision.
    Does this mean that I should, for example, set “leave enable superuser” to off?

• jay

Had towel root working but today my phone auto updated and I no longer have root access, help??

• Bill

When I try to open this on my Galaxy S4 SCH-i545, 4.2.2, it says this phone is currently not supported.

• Milos

Using Towel root, I rooted my Motorola razr M. I upgraded to Kit Kat first. After I rooted my razr M, I used Motopocalypes to unlock the boot loader. If interested, see all the how-to’s on the XDA site under “Motorola droid razr M section”.

• joe

Worked fine on my Verizon galaxy s3 sch-i535 running the 4.4.2 OTA update! Thanx much geohot!

• justin sharp

Towel root says phone not supported? ?? What can I do?
    Thanks

• Danny Mallqui

Does it work on Galaxy s5 GM-900M??

• Hal

Didn’t work on my new Note 3 SM-N9005 :(

It was most likely my fault, though – I decided I needed root only a few hours AFTER I automatically updated Samsung’s ‘Security Policy Update’ to MDF release 3. Damn you, Samsung, why are you making such an excellent hardware and then jail us with your draconian DRM and crapware? What are you, Apple?

I can’t get it, really. I switched from Apple to Android precisely to avoid this sort of dumb, rigid thinking that stops legitimate users from using their bought products the way they see fit. I was *this* close to buy a M8, too bad HTC don’t have a 5.7″ phone…

/rant

• jfogle01

The same thing just happened to me…says phone not supported!

• Michael

i have the lg optimus fuel and it says it is not supported??

• thomas

At&t galaxy s5 worked like a charm, installed supersu also no problems. Good bye bloatware!

• The only one

Does it work on Ace 3?

• robert hoover

I’ve got a samsung galaxy S3 and im new to rooting android devices. Although, I have done lots of work with apple products. I used to hustle my jailbreaking skills in high school lol. But im having trouble downloading the towel root APK. It says its downloading in my current downloads. But its using a “pending” loading bar instead of actually downloading. And after about 5 minutes it says that the download was unsuccessful. Anyone got any idea’s on what im doing wrong? Thanks for any replies, its much appreciated.

• lavvy

Will it work on my Micromax unite 2? Will my device get damaged in any way if it doesn’t work? Reply soon please!

• Frank

Does this work on a htc mytouch 4g slide?

• polo

Tried towel root when I push da make it rain button it says phone nt support n I gt note 3 running off 4.4.2

• Ronan

I have got a Samsung s3 and towelroot says “this device isn’t supported”. If you have an s3 do not use towelroot.

• Android_Tech937

It worked on my galaxy s3 by cricket. No problems at all. Only that supersu keeps showing update su binary but i ignore it because i heard it will unroot if you update the su binary.

• jfogle01

I have a Sprint Note 3, 4.4.4 NH7 build with the stock kernel and MDF v1.0 security software with Knox. Will this towelroot work for me? Will it trip Knox? Will tripping Knox in and of itself disable the use of my phone? And is there any way to get rid of Knox permanently without damaging my phone? I know that’s alot, but thanks in advance!

• jfogle01

Also, assuming this method works well, will I be able to change my kernel without changing Rom’s? And with all I’ve been reading about this Knox crap, will I even be able to change Rom’s? Thanks again!

• larry woods

i tried towelroot on my phone but guess what it is not duppoted lg optimus fuel

• trinaty42

I have a Sprint S3 and it says towelroot v3 is not supported. any ideals?

• Gizmo84

How do I do this on Verizon s4? My phone is unrooted and I’m afraid i’ll jack crap up coz i don’t know what I’m doing LOL It’d be nice to have a different ROM on the s4 tho. Don’t get me wrong, love the s4, but stock UI is a little plain!

Thanks in advanced, Gizmo.

1. Hamilton HoytGuest 11 months ago

Will I be able to install a custom recovery and rom?

2. If anyone does want to use Towelroot, I suggest using Superuser by ChainsDD instead of SuperSU. SuperSU doesn’t like the su binary installed, and will bug you to update it but will fail every time, not allowing you to actually use the app. Superuser works just fine!

3. Francisco AyalaGuest 11 months ago

Anyone know it it works on gs3 on verizon

• Give it a shot! No reason not to. If it doesn’t work, it won’t hurt anything. I tried it on my Moto X, it force closed and rebooted. No root, no damage.

• lavvyGuest 9 months ago

• jim caulfieldGuest 11 months ago

yes Francisco – I just used app and it worked like a charm!

4. Surprisingly, Towelroot also rooted my HP Slate 7 Extreme!

• FByrd99Guest 9 months ago

Which TR version did you use?
      Which Android version did you root?
      Will be great news to root the Extreme model.

5. KennonGuest 11 months ago

• XamirGuest 11 months ago

Umm no one wants htc

• That’s not at all true. I know people who want HTC. However, I don’t want HTC. I much prefer Samsung hardware. Kennon, you’re absolutely right in that I shouldn’t support this behavior with my money. And seeing the state of the S5, I may no longer do so.

• Umm why?
        Samsung is fixing to balkanize Android. No, thank you.

6. DenisGuest 11 months ago

Hi,

does this root app trip Knox on Note 3 with Android 4.4.2?

Thanks in advance!

• Nope! I used it on my Note 3 and it didn’t trip KNOX.

• LukeGuest 11 months ago

• LukeGuest 11 months ago

7. ScottGuest 11 months ago

Having never done this before, how do I know if I have root?

8. TechnewzGRGuest 11 months ago

9. williamGuest 11 months ago

Gs4 4.4.2
    Didn’t working, said towel root speed working and rebooted the phone.

10. GGuest 11 months ago

11. shauryaGuest 11 months ago

any idea if i could root my MOTO G with it

12. HassanGuest 11 months ago

If I disable knox with supersu will this trip the knox counter

13. RalphGuest 11 months ago

VERIZON GALAXY NOTE 3 YES IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!! SO EASY I WAS SCARED

14. tonyGuest 11 months ago

Worked like a charm on my UK note3 (N9005)

15. GeorgeGuest 11 months ago

16. mrpickemGuest 11 months ago

17. jdGuest 11 months ago

18. jdGuest 11 months ago

not working on Nexus 10

19. Zeno K.Guest 11 months ago

I don’t get the point about installing SuperSU after Towelroot.
    Do I just need to install it or should I perform some configuration? And how?
    Does this mean that I should, for example, set “leave enable superuser” to off?

20. jayGuest 11 months ago

21. BillGuest 11 months ago

22. MilosGuest 11 months ago

23. joeGuest 11 months ago

24. justin sharpGuest 10 months ago

Towel root says phone not supported? ?? What can I do?
    Thanks

25. Danny MallquiGuest 10 months ago

Does it work on Galaxy s5 GM-900M??

26. HalGuest 10 months ago

Didn’t work on my new Note 3 SM-N9005 :(

/rant

• jfogle01Guest 7 months ago

The same thing just happened to me…says phone not supported!

27. MichaelGuest 10 months ago

i have the lg optimus fuel and it says it is not supported??

28. thomasGuest 10 months ago

29. The only oneGuest 10 months ago

Does it work on Ace 3?

30. robert hooverGuest 9 months ago

31. lavvyGuest 9 months ago

32. FrankGuest 9 months ago

Does this work on a htc mytouch 4g slide?

33. poloGuest 9 months ago

34. RonanGuest 7 months ago

• Android_Tech937Guest 6 months ago

35. jfogle01Guest 7 months ago

• jfogle01Guest 7 months ago

36. larry woodsGuest 6 months ago

i tried towelroot on my phone but guess what it is not duppoted lg optimus fuel

37. trinaty42Guest 3 months ago

I have a Sprint S3 and it says towelroot v3 is not supported. any ideals?

38. Gizmo84Guest 3 months ago

Thanks in advanced, Gizmo.