The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is available from nearly all major service providers, but you will need to SIM unlock your device if you want to switch carriers or if you have plans to travel internationally. There are quite a few paid services like Android SIM Unlock that will sell you a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SIM unlock code for as little as $19.90, but we thought we’d share a few options that will allow you to SIM unlock the Note 3 for free.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SIM Unlock menu hack
While we’re calling this a hack, it’s really a back door into the Galaxy Note 3′s menu system. This method works for a lot of people, but we have heard reports that Samsung has started removing the menu hack option as software updates are pushed to the Note 3.
- Open the Samsung Galaxy Note 3′s dialer
- Dial *#197328640#
- Press the Menu > Back > Menu
- Open the Key input and enter 1, then press OK
- Press Menu > Back
- Press UMTS > Debug Screen > Phone Control > Network Lock
- Press Options > Perso SHA256 OFF
- Press Menu > Back
- Press COMMON > NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ
- Your Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is now SIM unlocked
Request your Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SIM unlock code from your service provider
If you’re not able to use the menu hack to SIM unlock your Samsung Galaxy Note 3, you can always ask your service provider for the SIM unlock code for your device. Most carriers require that the phone is paid in full or that you’re at least 18 months into your 24 month contract. Check with your service provider for their exact requirements.
- Locate your handset IMEI number by dialing #06# or go to Settings > More > About device > Status
- Write down your IMEI number
- Call your service provider and ask for the SIM unlock code for your Samsung Galaxy Note 3
- Provide your account information and your Note 3′s IMEI number to process the unlock code request
- Your service provider will email you the SIM unlock code for your phone in 1-3 days
- Remove the back panel, battery and microSIM card from your phone
- Insert a microSIM card with one from another service provider
- When prompted, enter the unlock code that you received from your service provider
- Enjoy your SIM-unlocked Galaxy Note 3 on any GSM network!
The simple, paid alternative
If don’t meet your service providers requirements or couldn’t get the menu hack to work, there is a paid alternative that’s quick and hassle-free. Services like Android SIM Unlock can provide you with a SIM unlock code for your Samsung Galaxy Note 3 in less than 30 minutes for as little as $19. Best of all, most SIM unlock services have a money back guarantee if they are not able to find the unlock code for your phone.
If you know any other options to SIM unlock the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 for free, feel free to share them with us in the comments.