We have to admit, the HTC One M9 isn’t the best Android phone of 2015, but it is a lot better than many. The phone features a 5-inch 1080p display, a decent 20-megapixel main camera on the back and an UltraPixel (4 megapixels for those who don’t speak HTC) front-facing camera that actually takes some incredible selfies, even in low light. While’s its aluminum unibody design didn’t change much when compared to the HTC One M8, the performance of the phone is dramatically better thanks to 3GB of RAM and its Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 processor. Somehow HTC’s engineers managed to tame the processor that so many other manufacturers struggles to keep under control.
But if you’re reading this article, you probably already know all this. You’re here because you purchased your HTC One M9 from your service provider and now want to unlock it so that you can take it on an international trip or switch service providers to get a better deal or better reception. We’re here to walk you through the process.
HTC One M9 SIM unlock process
To SIM unlock your HTC One M9, you will need your phone’s IMEI number, a SIM unlock code and a SIM card from an alternate service provider. The steps below walk you through how to unlock your One M9 by purchasing a SIM unlock code from htcsimunlock.com for $12.99, but you can also use androidsimunlock.com or other similar sites. Follow the steps below and your HTC One M9 will be SIM unlocked in a matter of minutes.
- Open the phone app and dial *#06# on your phone to get your IMEI number
- Visit a third-party unlocking service like htcsimunlock.com
- Enter your phone’s IMEI number and enter your payment details to purchase the code
- Your code will be emailed to you in less than 30 minutes
- Replace your phone’s SIM card with one from another service provider
- When the SIM is inserted into the phone, an unlock screen will appear
- Enter your HTC One M9 SIM unlock code
- Your HTC One M9 is now SIM unlocked!
In many cases, your phone will automatically recognize the network settings associated with the new SIM card you are using in the phone. If it doesn’t, you will need to manually configure the APN settings on the HTC One M9 to obtain a data connection.