Android apps that need to be more awesome in 2013

Posted Dec 21, 2012 at 11:50 am in Threads > Opinions

What common apps for Android do you have, or have used, that you think really need an overhaul? Anything you have that you think would be great if you had some functionality tweaks?

I’ll start: FACEBOOK. Dangit, if only it could properly replicate the web functionality. I use it on my tablet but only the web version – the app is slow, misses a lot of what I need it for (I run events on Facebook a lot) and the UI isn’t nearly as intuitive. It’s gotten a lot better but I think it has a long way to go.

Any other apps like this?

• Thomas Biard

First Person Shooters…need easier/better multi-player options. Get some Golden-Eye going for some battery draining fun.

• kelltrash14

Google Voice…needs some serious update love

• spidremann

I agree. I’m tired of duplicate messages, messages that show up days late (if at all), and old messages that start blasting knack into a conversation I’m having! Being able to have the functionality of switching phones without needing to use the web would be huge, too.

• redraider133

I think Google apps. Compared to the Google apps on IOS, the IOS versions look better and seem to get more love from Google much of the time which is strange Google is putting all the effort into another platform before enhancing their apps on their own platform

• pol biswas

Google applications.Specially Google maps and navigation.

• John Van Epps

Square register already. I give them hundreds of dollars and it doesn’t even work on the nexus 7…not to mention the fact that it doesn’t have the same functionality as iOS!

• GreenGriffin

I don’t know if it counts as standard, but I would love to see updates to the Nike running app (or just android support for the Nike Fuel band).

Though I agree there could be improvements made with some of the Google apps, I don’t see that they desperately need updates (all seem to do their jobs for me without serious issues). I guess any speed / battery improvements would be nice

• heynomi4u

• SGB101

And in the UK, and they need to do it fast before Facebook gets routed as the main messenger of the masses.

I’d like Google to buy What’s app, and integrate it if Google talk is a no no.

Not sure how the carriers would react to Goolge integrating an OTT service into android tho. BB10 and windows phone 8, may start to look nicer to them!

Google docs needs more love, it’s defo getting better but there is a way to go.

YouTube, needs to be searchable better, both on Wed and phone, there is loads of stuff in there, just no one can find it. You wouldn’t think they was the largest search Co on the market!!!

Also, instead of the X on the nexus line, replace it with the Android eating the apple, better still have the Android shutting out an apple, all back lit, like on the Mac ;o)

• SGB101

* not shutting, and shitting ^

• dino13

Google Drive and Google Now

• sandy105

for starters facebook app sucks even now.its looks rudimentary.
    gmail for ios looks so fantastic wih the new update -want that
    and play store open up-movies,music,books globally

• christiaangombert

google voice search (nowadays known as google now) needs to be updated with other languages. since my english has an dutch accent it’s hard for google now to understand me. speaking dutch to google now would make it a lot eassier.

• dino13

If you can speak german google now would probably have less of a hustle understanding you. Jokes by side, it will be always hard for voice recognition to understand everyone, especially the ones with an accent as there much much more accents than countrys.

• spidremann

My own submission would be to roll the old Google Listen into Play music. I’d love to be able to get my podcasts in that one app…with Google reader sync, of course.