Any Android 4.1 questions?

Posted Jun 28, 2012 at 3:59 pm in Threads > Smartphones & Tablets

So I’ve just downloaded and installed the leaked Jelly bean update. I have to say I’m pretty impressed with the responsiveness of the UI. The improvements that Google talked about in their keynote yesterday are all there and everything is working. I’m pretty excited for these improvements to find their way to other devices.

Anyway, does anyone have any questions for someone that is using it? Want me to try something out? I just asked what the temperature is and “the lady in my phone” spoke back “it is currently 88 degrees in Colorado Springs”. I didn’t know that voice responses were part of the update.

Go ahead with the questions and I’ll do my best to answer them.

• Ironzey Lewis

I’m following this thread.

• Jedediah Sweetser

Jelly Bean is a beast. I just flashed Vicious Jelly Bean over my AOSP ICS. Here are my thoughts.

ICS was a major improvement, faster – sexier.
      Jelly Bean is even more so. It’s BLAZING fast. Switching between applications and swiping never studders. The biggest studder I have is loading the swiftkey keyboard once in awhile.

ICS used to keep 100 meg free of RAM and sometimes it would cause my phone to spend a few seconds rearranging stuff when i had multiple tabs open.

JellyBean so far has kept 305 megs open constantly, making everything run faster and smoother!

Google now is fun. I checked in at work, and it told me my drive time ‘home’ would be 27 minutes and offered alternate routes with ‘navigate’ buttons on all of them.

Using Lean Kernel with Vicious Jellybean ROM has increased my batterylife a bunch. All day i had 4g active and used it heavily before and after work – 55% battery left on 12 hours. Also streamed Google music for about an hour.

This is the best update thus far, and if you have a Gnex and want to flash a JB ROM, use Vicious, it’s light weight and wicked fast.

• jai

will the JELLY BEANS available in SONY phones too ?

• http://www.jaxidian.org/update/ jaxidian

Nobody knows if current Sony phones will be upgradable to Jelly Bean or not. You’ll have to wait for Sony to announce that.

And by the way, Google Now really is the $#17! Creepy? Yes. Amazing? Yes!

Unfortunately, I no longer have Jelly Bean. Just sold my VZW GNex and shipped it off over lunch. :-(

• Lightning7

Will 10 in. tablets (like the Transformer Prime) be in phone mode like the Nexus 7, or is that 7 inches and below? If not, will it essentially look the same?

• Ironzey Lewis

I don’t know. I’m just a guy that downloaded and is currently using Jellybean on his phone.

• Dravic

What do you think is the most important and, you know, appealing feature of that early Jellybean version?

Other than that, tell us more about that voice inside your phone! =D

• Cris Galvao

Hi,
    I’m new so be nice, please!
    I just brought my first Android phone; MotoSmart or XT 390 – so far I’m not happy.

First I’m in Brazil, so the Androids here are pre- config with all in Brazil stuff – that’s what I guessed since I’m trying without success to login my Gmail ( which I have for 10 years!) and since the pre-confg is directing to http://www.google.com.br – I think it’s that! Because keeps saying my username does not exists or the password is not correctly none is right. I checked several times.
    Also I wish to upgrade the 2.3 Android version for the latest 4.1 Android but was said to me I’ll loose the guaranty!!?? Is that real?
    I did email Motorola but so far NO ANSWER.

How do I connect my Android to google.com and not google.com.br so I’ll will have all the performance running perfect with my account on Google?
    Thanks
    Cris Galvao

• Max.Steel

What do you mean by “pre confg”. Also, as far as I know, Android phones connect to Google servers not a website.

• Maximus

I too flashed the Leaked Google I/O version from Koush

JB is a DREAM come true especially with the responsiveness

However i am noticing much quicker battery drain than normal

On ICS i could get a full 24hrs on Moderate to Heavy usage

The same usage on JB is giving at the most 12hrs MAX most times 10HRS

Are you experiencing similar issues with Battery life??

• Epostle

I Just got the OTA of jelly bean pushed to my Galaxy Nexus as write this.

• Epostle

The Official OTA at that…

It’s better, but I didn’t think it was amazing. I still preferred Swype and Swiftkey.

• Ironzey Lewis

Agreed, it is better but I still prefer Swiftkey.

The prediction on JB keyboard is a step in the right direction.