Chrome update broke my Nexus 7 maybe?

Posted Sep 13, 2012 at 12:03 pm in Threads > Smartphones & Tablets

This morning, I was using my wonderful Nexus 7 as I usually do, when it briefly flashed a low battery warning and promptly shut down. I promptly plugged it in and was able to get it to restart… once. The battery showed that it still has a 19% charge, I unlocked the tablet and it shut down after just a second or two. All the while, Chrome was slowly updating. Every few minutes now I can get it to power on for a few seconds, with Chrome still plugging away. When it’s not willing to turn on and it’s plugged in, there are these pinpricks of white against the black of the screen, like of like the lead in on an old VHS tape before it actually started playing. I haven’t been able, in those brief periods of activity, to get to the Play App and cancel the download, which is really the only thing I can think to do at this point. I was just able to get it into charging while off, so that’s at least some vague progress; I’ll at least have a fully charged paperweight.

I haven’t seen any other reports of this, so I can’t tell if this is my crummy luck or if something has gone horribly awry with this update. I’m not sure where else to look, but as this is my go-to for Android news, I figured this would be a good place for Android advice. Anyone have any?

• Taylor Wimberly

I had similar problems with my Nexus 7 where he screen freaked out and showed black and white static, but it just turned out to be low on charge. I don’t think I have updated Chrome on it in the last 24 hours, so I’ll have to see what happens.

• leganzish

Mine was doing something similar to that when I first took it out of the box, and I thought I had one DOA. I just plugged it in, took some deep breaths, let it charge to 100% and have never had the issue since. I think its just a very low battery condition like Taylor said.

• rantmo

I went into a stairwell at lunch and started it again and turned off the WiFi straightaway. That at least kept it from shutting down again, though it seems to think that it’s Friday, December 31, 1999, which is less than usual. It wasn’t actually charging either, which was strange since it was displaying the battery charge image; when I unplugged it, it kept showing that until I turned it on. Anyway, I have it charging now and once it tops off, I’ll turn the WiFi on again and we’ll see. I guess it could be the battery, I usually get it plugged in when it hits around 30% but I guess today it dropped off fast at the end. We’ll see in about an hour or so I guess. Thanks for the replies!

• rantmo

Well I guess it was just being pissy because the battery dropped below 20% because it’s working fine now, and Chrome ultimately updated without a hitch.

• jaxidian

I’m not a fan of the latest Chrome update either. Swype is practically impossible to use on – it’s absolutely terrible now! It was buggy before but really impossible to use now. At least for me.

• XanLoves

If you’re talking about the horrible glitches and disappearing keyboard, I found deleting Latin IME.apk from /system/aps folder. Obviously ROOT is required and it fixed the issue I has with the SwiftKey keyboard, not swype.

Worth a try though!

• redraider133

I haven’t had any issues since the chrome update on my nexus 7.