Chromebook & Nexus 7/10 Reviews

Posted Dec 18, 2012 at 2:33 am in Threads > Smartphones & Tablets

I am looking at getting a laptop replacement the first of the year.

I’m tired of carrying my laptop back and forth from work to home. I have a desktop at home for gaming and heavy computing (photo editing etc). I just want something to browse the web and check Facebook, etc with while on the couch.

I want to give a tablet a shot, but would more then likely want a key board dock and/or bluetooth keyboard.

I’m curious as to everyone’s suggestions on the topic….. I’m also curious as to why there isn’t any AAM reviews of any of the official Nexus/Chromebook line.

Also, how well does the Chromebook sync with the Google Play ecosystem? I recently read Netflix does not work on Chromebook also….

• LukeT32

Needless to say…. A very open ended question, just looking for thoughts and real world experience.

**If it matters my daily driver is a VZW GNex running CM10 Nightlies, so rooting a tablet might be fun. :)**

• BrotherBloat

To be fair with you, I’m not sold on the ChromeBook idea yet… not in the UK anyway… it just seems overkill to buy a laptop that simply doesn’t work when it’s not connected to the web… a Tablet, however, that is a completely different matter!

• oldman_60

If you want a device with a good keyboard to browse the web and check Facebook, a ChromeBook (Preferably a Samsung latest model with Wifi) is by far your best choice. It is fast enough for gaming, it is cheaper than a Windows laptop, it has a good key board for typing, a good enough camera for video chatting ( Google Hangout since Skype does not run on it). Even though it was primarily designed to work connected to the web, there are already hundred of applications that can used offline. Google docs, Gmail, Google Calendars, some games, etc . can be used offline. Generally speaking, any file stored locally can be used offline. You can listen to music files and watch films stored locally. It will cost you £229. Not to mention you don’t have to worry about updates and viruses. Seriously it does much more than what people believe.

• LukeT32

That is what I was thinking. For the same price as a Nexus 7, you get a keyboard and a larger screen. I have no official experience with Chrome OS, but I have to imagine with the right apps/programs you can do everything a tablet can. After reading thru everyone’s comments it kind of seems that a ChromeBook is a no brainer…..

• SGB101

i would like a chrome book, but it doent run office and the rest of my work progs, and tbh, the only reason these days my lappy is on , is for work.

every thing else these days is tablet and phone. more phone these days since getting the note2.

so your answer is really only up to you, what do you do on your lappy, and can it be done on on chrome book, tablet, if yes you have a choice, if no, you may want to look at a widows8 pro tab when they launch.

• GP5

Chromebook could you the better option if you think you will be around the area where there are free wifi available. And i could not agree with the previous comment about getting a tablet instead of chromebook because chromebook can’t do anything without internet as if we could do lot with tablet without internet connection. Hmmmmm. I have to do some research on that.

• LukeT32

I could always tether my phone.

• jcommaroto

I absolutely love my Nexus 7. If you truly just want something for web browsing and Facebook, I would highly recommend it.

As a “laptop replacement” in general, I could not recommend it at all. Heavy lifting (spreadsheets, programming, photo editing, video editing) are not something I can see doing on the device. But if you just want web browsing and Facebook, you cannot beat the device for the price and the portability it gives you.

• gh0st665

I do light office work on mine. Creating/editing Word documents (.doc files), Some light photo editing (mainly goofing around). I have viewed spreadsheets (excel files) on mine, but did not do any editing. I am always reading PDFs on my Nexus 7. It’s awesome for that. I use Documents to Go to view documents and OfficeSuite Pro to edit/create and then throw everything into either Google Drive or into a Drop Box. It’s mainly a quick edit or view on the fly type tablet. It would be better to do the heavy work on a laptop.

• keyl10

I want a Chromebook so badly, but I still can’t swing it.

I currently own a Nexus 7 and can testify that it is far from a laptop replacement. I still carry my 4-pound laptop to school everyday. The Nexus 7 can handle some stuff, but it is not too useful even with my bluetooth keyboard.

• orangestrat

I’m currently rocking a nexus 7 and an old netbook. I’m struggling to decide between a specced out macbook air + 1440p monitor or a beastly desktop/17″ laptop + Samsung chrome book.
    They’re cheap enough that your best bet is to get a chrome book and nexus 7 from the Play store and eBay the one you like less. Chrome books are all about $400 on ebay right now because of how badly eBayers handle shortages, so you might make money off the deal.

• LukeT32

….. there $249 from Google.

• jonstle

Chrome OS or Android is a tough question to answer. I have not used a Chrome book so I cannot really talk about it. I have a tablet and it works for most things really well; Facebook, Twitter, news, email, games, etc… The only time I get a frustrated is when I need to write a document or email longer than a few sentences.

Not sure if this will help but I found an article that explains how you can try out Chrome OS on a windows machine by booting from a 4gb usb stick.

http://www.clickonf5.org/14891/run-chrome-os-windows-pc-usb-stick/

That would at least get you some hands on with the OS to see if it fits your needs.

• LukeT32

Nice, thanks for the link.

If I got a tablet I would really need to get a dock/keyboard. I have seen people using bluetooth keyboards, but then you need some way to support the tablet so it sits upright. Purchasing a seperate dock/keyboard makes the Chromebook sound even bettery due to pricing.

• geli

How about a six core- dual screen, one touch one keyboard. Spend $450 and get a Nexus 7 and the ARM Chromeboox

• kelltrash14

I don’t see any reason to grab a chromebook over your current laptop. It’s not more portable to a degree that will matter much, and a lot of options lost. IA tablet could fit your usage scenario pretty well…I use my 7 on the go, desktop at home.

• redraider133

The transformer line from asus is a pretty solid line of tablets and has the keyboard dock that you can get. Not to mention asus is one of if not the best( other than google) with getting updates out for their devices.

• LukeT32

Actually got a TF300T from my lady friend for Christmas, wasn’t expecting it at all.

with the dock too!

• jaysond

I agree with the post above asus makes so e very solid tablets and nicely priced,the keyboard dock is awsome and it adds more battery life onto a already long lasting battery

• jaysond

or if you have the money there coming out with some pricy tablet/pcs that are ultra light with removable touch screens and all the fancy doodahh but who honestly can afford a 3k computer wish I could but this is the real world

• klcow92

now if only there was a 3g/4g version of the nexus 10….drool drool

• Rich

I have a Chrome book 550 and a Nexus 10. I use the Chrome book when I need to type, Hulu, use SDHC card, and when I am sitting at a table. I use the Nexus 10 when I am looking at TV, Podcast, audio books, music, Apps the need to use the GPS, games, when standing, and Evernote.

• sonicdeathmunky

I bought my Nexus 7 (WiFi) to use for taking notes and minimal word processing whilst at university lectures. I have been using it for this purpose for over 6 months.

Using the on-screen keyboard is mostly pointless for accurate or quick typing. The keyboard is just too small, and covers too much of the screen to be able to see much. I bought a logitech bluetooth keyboard, that I pull out whenever lots of typing is required.

So for productivity, I wouldn’t recommend the Nexus 7.

For casual social media, browsing and light gaming though? This tablet is the BEST thing ever. The size is PERFECT for gaming, and it’s powerful enough to play any game I’ve tried. It’s light enough to be able to hold whilst gaming without your arms getting tired. The speaker is good enough for watching movies in bed (although you have to be careful not to cover it with your hand when holding it).

I use this device every single day, and it works perfectly. I AM upgrading to a bigger screen though, mainly because I want to use it for increased productivity (possibly a Transformer for a built-in keyboard).

I cannot recomment the Nexus 7 enough for what you want to use it for. It fits in my pocket, and I can easily hold it with one hand.

• bear831

As Jonstle already linked to a guide for installing chrome OS I will just leave my thoughts here. A developer by the name of Hexxah creates compiled builds of Chrome OS that have the latest changes as well as increased compatibility. I highly recommend trying one of his builds. Booting off of a flash drive to your laptop can give you a really good idea about how practical a cloud based computer truly is. My personal choice would be a tablet over a chrome book, but my needs are different than yours.

• LukeT32

downloading it now… I have VMWare on my laptop so it will be a breeze.