custom ROM’s for the nexus 7 ..

Posted Dec 16, 2012 at 10:22 am in Threads > Opinions

any suggestions for custom roms/kernels for nexus 7.
and please give a brief of the roms you are using/have used ..
also if you have overclocked ,using the various kernel what stable speeds have you reached ??

• uknowme

I’m just running stock rooted 4.1.2. I am tempted to check out rasbeanjelly. I really don’t see much difference with most of b the Roms though.

• sandy105

hey yes i m also running on stock .and there actually no need for us to put a custom rom as we already have the latest android version..
    however custom kernel and overclocking seems very tempting for me..
    how is rasbeanjelly ???

• keyl10

I only ever try to put a custom ROM on devices when the OEM stops supporting it, so I don’t see a need for it currently on my Nexus 7.

• tommydaniel

I would say to give ParanoidAndroid a go.

• dbcher

The main benefit of the nexus line is that you are running stock Android. But I know on xda you can find done good roms if you are so inclined.

• gh0st665

I am with key and sandy, I only jump to custom ROMs if the device isn’t being supported or isn’t being supported quick enough by the manufacturer or the carrier. Or if it’s an HTC device, because I HATE SENSE UI.

I really haven’t done a lot of diving into flashing new Kernels to my Nexus 7 because it updates fairly regularly and I just end up having to re-flash the Kernel.

But I would be curious to know what kernels you have found that work well with battery life and maintain stability with light overclocking.

Any thoughts?

• TheVoodoo

While I understand your reasoning, I have to disagree with waiting on changing to custom ROMs.

I would definitely suggest CM10.1 for your Nexus 7, because several features in the stock version are rendered more usable by it, most importantly:

- Far far more usable quick settings drawer with toggle functionality, extra tiles, tile sorting, etc.
    - Expanded Desktop functionality to use soft button strip as usable area in games and apps.
    - hopefully soon to be implemented–as was in CM10–AVRCP 1.3 or higher for Bluetooth, which allows bluetooth devices that support it to show song title and artist information.

CyanogenMod does all this and more without detracting from the Stock experience in my opinion.

• crossbred900

I’ve just started looking into ROMs, mostly for increased battery life. is cm 10 better than cleanROM?

• spaz

I too am looking for options. My biggest pet peeves about Android is that apps still run in the background even after disabling background data, sluggish scrolling especially for instragram, and the lack of any backup to a non “formatable” area of the flash storage. I’m not sure how a custom ROM will sufficiently address my needs on the Nexus 7

• Peter B

The big advantage of a custom ROM is WiFi hot spot and sms..both not available in original standard ROM.