Opinion: Nexus 5 w/o CyanogenMod vs. Nexus 4 w/ CyanogenMod

Posted Nov 16, 2013 at 6:06 pm in Threads > Opinions

In short, I would rather use Nexus 4 with CyanogenMod 10.2 on it, until official CyanogenMod nightly versions are released for Nexus 5– even the Android-4.3-based CM10.2 would suffice.

About three days after ordering them, we received our two Nexus 5 devices. I will not go into a detailed review of them, since others have done a great job on that; but, after the initial excitement wore off within minutes, I started missing small features CyanogenMod that we have come to enjoy over the years, particularly those in the 10.1 and 10.2 versions–I have listed some of these features at the end of this post.

This escalated so quickly to a point that I wished that the screen on my Nexus 4 with CM10.2 had not shattered just over a week before I purchased the Nexus 5.

Does anybody else agree with or understand this, nor necessarily with CyanogenMod, but any custom ROM of your choice, or am I alone in this preference?

———-
Features missed immediately–of course, these are not necessarily unique to CyanogenMod, but that is my custom ROM of choice:

- custom setting tiles with toggle and touch-and-hold functionality. The stock Android setting tiles are not very useful, without toggle Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, or data toggle functionality.
- expanded desktop, to take advantage of the full height of the screen.
- touch-and-hold status bar time to jump to alarms.
- touch status bar date to jump to calendar.
- fine-tune auto-brightness, and access lowest brightness for nighttime use.
-