[Video] Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Replaces The PC [ColdFustion]

Posted Dec 09, 2012 at 2:33 pm in Threads > Smartphones & Tablets

I thought this video was very cool and just had to share it with you guys

Can any of you see a Smart phone replacing a PC?

With ARM developing so fast. Cortex A15 seeing a significant increase in performance per core at the same clock rate as a Cortex a9 chip, Mobile GPUS by PowerVR, Qualcomm, ARM (mali) and nVidia are all also increasing in performance at such an alarming rate. I could see ASUS Padfone/Transformer/HDMI desktop/tv dock/Game controller combo, easily replacing a PC, tablet, laptop and even a gaming console all in one device (Smartphone)

Dock the Phone in the Padfone style tablet housing to use as a tablet, then into the Transformer keyboard style dock for laptop style keyboard and mouse usage.

Dock into a HDMI mhl style dock, or maybe use miracast, to use as a desktop pc with BT keyboard and mouse. Or use on your tv.

The UI would need some work transitioning to each device. For example adding a task bar at bottom of screen when docked in laptop or desktop mode. Big tv layout (Steam big picture like) when connected to TV etc.

• Bpear96
  • Chris Lewis

It needs to be able to wirelessly connect to a monitor and have slightly better processing power. I think it will be normal (Not just for geeks with the know how) for people to use phones as an actual computer, and even for gaming device. My money is on the Galaxy S V and the Note VI.

thanks for sharing that video!

• heynomi4u

I approve this message.

• greyrog

Cool it getting close but not quite there

• dino13

Well Ubuntu is working on it.

There is a high integration of android into ubuntu.

• dino13

It would be cool if they would use the screen of the phone as the touchpad.

• Guitaraholic

Wow give it another 12 months and I think this will be a real setup to use a Phone as a Desktop

• Bpear96

Quad core 2ghz Cortex a15 , 2GB+ Fast DDR3 RAM, Awesome GPU (Next gen mali, PowerVR, etc).

• Dradien

Sorry, but no. Even as is, it seems phone are bottlenecked by I/O bandwidth. When I use my computer, I’m in “This machine can handle anything” mode, and I use it as such. Using a phone for a desktop is a novel and neat idea, but it won’t replace a Desktop anytime soon. Kind of sucks when your entire system (phone in this case) is bogged down when you’re installing an app.

Perhaps for some very very light usage, maybe, but overall? Nope.

• Bpear96

Im not saying a High end phone will replace a desktop, but it could be used as a desktop. and for people like my mom who just browse the web, facebook, gmail etc it could easily be the only device she would need. She already uses a tablet pretty much as her main device.

I/O bandwidth could increase in the 12 months just like everything else.

It obviously wont be on par with today desktops for a very long time, I think your misunderstanding the point of this thread.

its not about as phones being as powerful as desktops, it about using a phone as a desktop (minimal use)

• MagikalTrev

I am almost in awe, a good video for a good phone. Thank you so much for sharing this.

• Samar

Very Gud demo indeed.

• kelltrash14

This seems interesting, but I just don’t have any desire to try to replace my Home PC yet. I feel like it will be quite some time before any mobile device can match its capabilities.

• tris_r

Getting close, but still a long way off in terms of flexibility. I know from my transformer prime, whenever your trying to do something, you get so far before hitting a scenario where you just need a desktop or at least figuring out the work around isn’t worth it.

• kr.ray.kaushik

I own a Note 2 and was waiting for this phone for long..Personally I feel this can easily replace my TV..
    Trust me — I DONT OWN A TV.just a desktop dock and a good internet makes TV totally useless..I can watch TV on DEsktop but bets place I like is watching it lying on bed and njoying all shows..!!!
    A total smooth experience..