What would you expect in a $299 smarthphone?

Posted May 07, 2012 at 11:41 am in Threads > Opinions

As we all know, the Droid Incredible 4G LTE was announced today by HTC and Verizon and it has been stated that it is possible that Verizon might give it a $299 price tag, which in my opinion is outright ridiculous, especially when you have phones like the Galaxy Nexus, HTC One X, EVO 4G LTE, etc with a price tag of $199 or lower.

I would understand, if Verizon or another carrier was to provide the One X, Galaxy S III, EVO 4G LTE or another flagship with a $299 price tag because they are the top of the line when it came to smartphones and you would be getting the best phone on the carrier with wonderful specs and all the other good stuff that comes with it but something like the Droid Incredible 4G LTE is nowhere near worthy of such a price tag. I known that the price of the Incredible 4G LTE has not been announced yet but the fact that rumors have it being $299 is, to me, unsettling in itself.

My question is therefore, what would you expect or want in a phone that costs $299 on a 2 year agreement? What justifies a phone carrying a $299 price tag?

• kazahani

I will not pay any more than $200 for a phone if I am signing a contract. They need to give us a good discount on these devices if we are going to pay the hefty bill they send us for two whole years.

I waited to get my Galaxy Nexus until they dropped the price.

• Ironzey Lewis

I’m not a fan of Verizon so I had to look up what the Droid Incredible 4G LTE had to offer. Phone arena said it “the potential to become a great… upper-mid range Android smartphone”. At that price I want a top tier phone something that brings something new to the table. If you really like it I would suggest waiting for the price to drop, just like the Galaxy Nexus, then picking one up.
    I’m not a fan of Verizon and this just adds to my dislike for the carrier. They are asking premium prices for a device that isn’t. Six months ago this may have been worth it but from what I’m reading it looks like a second tier phone.
    If they want me to pay $300 AND sign a contract I want:
    Android 4 (this should go without saying but makers seem slow on this)
    NFC (Support for google wallet would be nice too but it’s not a deal breaker)
    Good/Great battery life.
    Good/Great design (I’m looking at you One series)
    4G (LTE/HSPA+ really doesn’t matter as long as the speeds are better than this time last year)
    HD display (QHD?! For $300 AND a contract no thanks!)
    Fast camera with great quality (last year we got good quality, this year I expect great quality anything less is last year)
    Finally, for $300 they really have to bring something new to the game, GSIII has eyeball tracking, the Note has the S-pen and huge scree, the One series has killer cameras and good looks. If you are wanting to get premium prices then bring the new features not “more of the same”.

• jd

A15 chips.

No plastics.

Great display. 4.5+

2G RAM

32G memory and expandable.

wireless charger included.

• SGB101

No

• jamal adam

I would want A15 chip with amazing graphics, 4.8in 720p or better Super LCD 2 with Gorilla Glass 2, 64 GB storage, 2 GB RAM, 12MP camera with F1.8 aperture, 3MP front facing camera, wireless charging, 3000mAH removable battery, mircoSD slot, Bluetooth 4.0. All of this in a beautiful and aesthetically pleasing form factor that oozes of flagship and premium quality. That would be my $299 flagship smartphone. Gotta think and wish big lol

• LittleGreenDude

Cortex A15 processor, HD Super AMOLED Plus screen, 4.8″+ screen size, really sexy looking cosmetics, vanilla to lightly skinned ICS, and some new innovation of some sorts.

• redraider133

For me it isn’t even really about specs but what I really expect in a $299 smartphone is that the bug fixes be pushed out fast, and not have to wait months for a bug fix. I am not as worried about the latest os but the way they push out phones and then take half a year to issue a bug fix is ridiculous especially with many of the issues that make the phones work only some of the time and have data issues. I mean I am paying all this money that is the least they can do. OS updates can come but for me bug fixes are much more important than having the latest OS.